Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody use this engine swap kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by damagedduck, May 1, 2013.

1. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I'm looking to do a swap & i see these in just about every catalog,and was wondering have you used them? Pro-Cons? I'm going to be put it in an old Ford truck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. raven

raven

That is the type I used in my 54 Chevy truck. I was told that the problem with that type is that you can't get the oil pan off as it's in the way. in my experience, I really have no trouble getting the pan off while the engine is in the truck and the motor mounts are still bolted in. Plus it add some cross-bracing in the engine area and that is a plus to me.
    r

3. henry29

henry29

I used one from classic parts in my 48 chevy truck.
    Really like it.

4. aaggie

aaggie

Quick, simple and cheap. What's not to like?

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I used one many years ago. I installed a BBC in a 56 F-100 Big Window pickup. It was easy .. and worked good. I actually made one side shorter than the other. I wanted the BBC over towards the right side slightly. I think ( if I remember correctly ) it was 3/4ths of a inch offset. I wanted to clear the steering more.

It did make removal of the oil pan difficult but I had a large oversize, deep oil pan on the BBC. :eek:

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Yeah, they seem pretty cheaply priced & look simple to use.:rolleyes:

Tell me more?

7. Yep, I've used them. They work fine.

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

You shoulda said something..... I cut one out of my 61. It went to the scrap pile not too long ago.

9. pdq67

pdq67

For pan removal and ease of removing a stick tranny and C/PP and F/W, look close at the old 4 mount, Tri-5 Chevy system.

If it is a Chevy, that is.

The tranny hangs off a cast-iron bottomless side-mount bell-housing so removing everything is a SNAP, imho... And the front is retained by two mushroom type rubber donuts, one per side. They bolt to the four extra front holes using the correct hardware.

pdq67

PS., and if you want an aluminum bottomless bell-housing, then look at the early 60's 409's and 'Vette's...