Register now to get rid of these ads!

After 40 years I decided to loan my 33 out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Apr 30, 2013.

1. absence makes the heart grow fonder. I bet when it comes back it will have a new status in the mind.

Its a beautiful ride very very nice. I always wondered how those things worked out with different cars in museums. Seems like a win/win you should be honored

2. CruzrJenn

CruzrJenn

Beautiful car and a great idea - more people will get to enjoy it now!

3. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I did the same Saturday, I loaned my 62 Falcon 2 door Wagon and my 64 Falcon Futura Convertible....I was in my 64 Sprint.....makes me happy to help others....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TexasDart

TexasDart

I'll borrow the Airstream...:)

5. That is one fine looking car.....I can't help but ask...What year is the Airstream?

6. Even though I haven't finished my own first build...I think I understand how you're feeling about the 33.

For many, the creative outlet of building the cars is more important than actually driving them.

Seems like the natural cycle is...build one, love it, love driving it, novelty wears off but the sentiment remains....so you just keep it and build another one. :)

This mindset only becomes a problem if the novelty wears off before you finish one, and start working on another one. Before you know it, you're "that guy" who has 15 different unfinished projects that he'll never sell, never display and never finish.

Glad to hear your 33 will be enjoyed by the masses !!

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

1961 California Bambi... Ohio ones have skirted wheel wells an differant door... Both were 13' long... Mine had a continental spare... Cute, light, and rare because they made a limited three year run since they were expensive for thier size... Wish I hadn't sold it

[​IMG]

More photos; Post 1107 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8870801#post8870801

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  8. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, That must have been a very hard decision. You are letting the folks that see the car to see that all cars are MEGA - Dollar $ - Your car is clean and probably an excellent driver. I am sure you will be very glad when you get it back. Maybe you will take it and take a short cruise once it is back.

Dave

9. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I agree! And the big red barns are almost as cool as the cars inside.

10. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

thats a really nice helmet...

11. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I've never been to the Gilmore Museum... I hoping I can get time off work to attend the "Dust off Event" coming May 11th... I was informed that the cars for the Rod & Custom display will be inplace... here is another one of the cars that will be exhibited

[​IMG]

They have info www.gilmorecarmuseum.org or if you frequent facebook -
    https://www.facebook.com/GilmoreCarMuseum

12. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

It is a fantastic idea to lend a car or items to a museum - but if you do make sure you get it in writing that it is a loan.

Also if you do decide to donate a car then make sure you have a cavet in there to say that if they ever decide they don't want it and decide to dispose of it then in that case it is to returned to the original owner or their estate.

Sadly where I live a rare car collection was donated to a Govt run museum and then the museum sold them :(

Proceeds of the sale went straight back into Govt coffers

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  13. millersgarage

millersgarage

The Gilmore is worth a trip to see, even without this Hot Rod display.

14. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Going to "Dust Off" tomorrow... First time to Gilmore Car Museum

15. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I went to the Gilmore Car Museum - Dust Off this past Saturday... Wow, the place is amazing... I definately made the right choice...

[​IMG]

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

Great photo!

Nice shot of our Headers display in the background too.

17. pitman

pitman

Gilmore looks like a good museum to visit next time in MI.
    The Saratoga, NY museum had a 'opening' Rod night exhibit, with Norm Wallace's Deuce, owned by RI painter Larry Hook, we all drove to the dinner, sat among the displayed cars and dined! In the museum, no less, great fun it was.
    Site: http://www.waaamuseum.org/collections/automobiles

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The Early Rodders sponsored a cruise to the Gilmore House over by the Farmer's Market just south of Hollywood. It's the oldest structure in Southern California. The house is adobe and on a hot summer's day, it was 72 degrees inside. The original occupant was the Sheriff for Los Angeles. The garage on the property houses the race cars for the Gilmore Family. All in pristine condition.

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

20. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I will continue to post photos here and depending on interest, I might start a thread on the Gilmore exhibit... They were expecting two more cars and hadn't finished the walls or signage last weekend... I hope to stop by Memorial Day weekend

21. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

There will be five more cars added to the display at Gilmore. Looking forward to seeing them.

22. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Worth a trip to Gilmore just to see this one. Beautiful car with a great history.

As Acme30 stated above I do hope you covered yourself well concerning ownership while on display. I am sure you did.

Nice.

23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

24. nice car, even nicer thing your doing loaning it to the museum.
    I would have to take my son to the doctor to get him checked out, no way I or my son wouldnt drive the wheels off of that car!

25. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

26. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

27. Drive'em

Drive'em

That sounds like a great idea, BUT, if I had a bitchin car like that I'd drive the hell out of it. In MHO if you don't drive it why have it.

28. SixtyFord

SixtyFord

Wow, I think I'll have to make time for a trip up there this summer. My truck has been there but I never have.