Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dangerous aftermarket brake hoses from Argentina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djfordmanjack, Apr 28, 2013.

1. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

A set of brake hoses I bought from a huge ebay seller 2-1/2 years ago for my '62 Comet is now completely cracked to the point where one started leaking already, and that with a single reservoir master cylinder...:mad:....
    in normal use, car always garaged, no winter or extreme hot condition, correct fit for car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

isn't there any manufacturer left that builds quality parts to last for at least 5 to 10 years ??? and I don't care if the damn hose costs 50$ each either !
    I purchased a new set from a supposedly quality parts supplier and they are made in China who knows how long those will last....

THE AFTERMARKET BUSINESS is LIFETHREATENING !!!!!!!

f******g assholes

So please all take care and frequently check your 'New' brake parts !!!!!

2. Have them made local.

3. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

not an easy thing here in Europe where everything has to be TÜV/Dot/E approved and no one makes hoses except for steel braided race use, which is- of course- not street legal here :(

4. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

My employer bought a $500,000.00 piece of equipment that came with Chinese hydraulic hoses. EVERY hose on it weeped fluid. Not leaking at the ends, but weeping fluid out of the hose itself.
    Cost the supplier a pretty penny to fly a Tech. out to replace every hose with U.S. made hoses!!!!

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

At the bearing supply store the employee told me that Americans are buying oil drilling rigs that have NO replacement parts available.
    America is going to come to a halt soon

6. pride63

pride63

Was going to fit a set of these to my Galaxie tomorrow of eBay seller from Argentina called luchonota.
    think I will get a set made in England instead

7. castirondude

castirondude

I have had similar issues with fuel lines. The original hoses last 20-30 years, then once you replace them you have to replace them again after 2-3 years :mad:

I bought some reels of fuel line from Pointe Products, this hose was still made in USA and has held up good so far.

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those brake lines are scary. Glad they didn't let you down when you needed them the most.
    I do work in a government facility that wants OEM factory parts used for repairs. I ordered a centrifugal pump rebuild kit for a US manufactured pump. It came with Chineeeze bearings. I was instructed to install them. They lasted not even a week. I rebuilt again but with domestic bearings and it is still running and in service. There is a lot of items out there that are simply 'look alike' items that should never be sold, especially when safety is involved.

9. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

years ago (like 30+) a lot of repop rubber came from Argentina, if i remember right the rubber didn't like the atmosphere up here, (U.V.,ozone) cracked and weathered in a short while. RD

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Todays Rubber has a shelf life. Tires life is rated at 5 years.... Its a shame, I have seen hoses crack in way to short of time..... Probably why tires are stamped with mfg date, brake hoses probably will soon follow

11. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

the new Chinese made hoses have a date stamp on 'em....:(

Unfortunately that's the one ! I don't want to hate on the seller because he is friendly and ships quickly, but the stuff is bad quality !
    I didn't buy the hoses because they were cheap, but because of the good service with the shop. Now I'd rather spend some money on REAL quality , but how to know where and if you get it ?! I will try some European OEM supplier like ATE and see if they have any UNF threaded hoses in stock.
    Thats the only trouble with ATE, I purchase all my metric stuff from them and it is of terrific quality even when the hose costs 50€ a piece. but it's hard to get these for the old UNF threads and correct wrench/clips sizes.
    everybody check your brake hoses !

12. pride63

pride63

I'm going to venhill in the uk , their stuff is pure quality and fast turn round for custom made hoses. Once they have made them they then allocate it a part number and this in turn means its easy to order againg if you need it

13. castirondude

castirondude

What brand were these brake hoses?
    I ordered some parts from rockauto and a lot of stuff comes from china - including official Motorcraft stuff ! :thumbdown:

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

14. Fenders

Fenders

Those hoses probably did last 10 years, or more....

On the shop's shelf....

15. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

You can get DOT approved steel braided flex lines here in the USA from several sources no problem. I like these guys -

http://crownperformance.com/

16. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

They have 'Industria Argentina' stamped on them.
    I don't think they were old when purchased. looked brandnew and the seller has hundreds or thousands of brake hoses advertised, all new manufactured.
    Just found out that there is a company in Germany making approved hoses. will try that next time.
    I think we all have had negative experience with cheap aftermarket stuff.
    I hate the Chinese stuff too, but no use on hating on any foreign country, it's the business men's fault , trying to get the cheapest stuff made.
    But it's one thing to make a cheaply chromed hubcap that gets stained soon, and then to sell hazardous suspension or brake parts !

17. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I think we are going to see a lot more parts with problems due to Chinese rubber. I first noticed a couple of years ago when some brand new out of the package vacuum caps crumbled into junk six months after putting one on a carb. The car was still in my garage, never driven.

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

I bought brakes hoses from a well known old Chevy truck vendor, made in Argentina. Two years later they looked just like "djfordmanjack" above. I thought made in Argentina would be good..."Made in America" :D

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You can still get quality brake hoses from Bendix to fit your Comet. I just got them for my '63 Falcon. Part #88264. Not as cheap as the crap hoses, but they wont look like those in a few years either!

20. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

It didn't like the air down there either, they were just junk. The suppliers were impossible to deal with too.

21. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Cheap rubber is definately screwey. I have a HF grinder that works great, but the rubber cord is cracking and literally falling apart! Soon it is going to have more electrical tape on it than original rubber.

22. G'day, I was looking at the made in Argentina brake hose sets for the Nash Metro we are starting on. I guess I better look elsewhere.

ms

23. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

X2 Bendix products are the real deal. I love these guys.

24. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

That sounds good, will look for them ! thx