Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fulton Sun Shield Woes....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50specialdeluxe, Apr 30, 2013.

1. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Got ahold of an oem Fulton for my shoebox but it's missing some hardware. Looked high and low on the net and here but no luck. Anyone know where I can find the sleeved screws that hold these guys together? I need a few different sets it a couple of different sizes and it's the only thing keeping me from putting it on the car! Help!!!

2. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

3. 51woodie

51woodie

I think what you're looking for is called a sex bolt, also known as a barrel nut or barrel bolt. Google them there are a bunch of people who supply them.

4. Did you try Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA?

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

traditional hotrods and customs dont use bolt on visors

6. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Thanks for the info guys, it's a big help.

And manyolcars, this visor is an original Fulton that has been on a 50 Ford for decades before I purchased it. If that's not traditional enough for you, well, I'll still sleep tonight.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. I have an original GM on my '49 Chevy Coupe that looks pretty nice too. I put it away when I first got it in '73 on my '50 Chevy but decided to put it on the FortyNiner last week and so far all the comments have been very positive. They are pretty traditional.
    I also purchased some of those barrel bolts a couple of years back at Restoration Specialties. On my Chevy, they hold on the molding on the inside of the windshield divider.

8. Try a tack shop, that type hardware is used in saddles.

9. I'm not so sure that we're talking about the same thing. Have you seen these in a tack shop?

10. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

You need to post pictures of the area with the AWOL parts.. And another picture will likely get posted showing the items as complete.. Might help..

11. tedster

tedster

Just curious why you would say this.

12. Visors have been hotly debated over the years. I had one on my '49, took it off, probably would have put it back on if I didn't sell the car.

Not sure what sleeved screws you're looking for, but McMaster Carr has just about anything, or google "Chicago fastener".

13. I was interested to know too but I figured not everyone can effectively display these and maybe he just doesn't like them. I don't agree with him as you can see from this photo. I just put it on there last week and have received more compliments and thumbs up than I have for quite a while.
    It is a different look.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...96881412.65047.260981127280739&type=1&theater

14. We had to fabricate the bottom part of one of the clips for mine but it turned out OK. Good luck with yours. I think they are great.

15. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Got everything temporarily back together last night and did a prefit that lead me to my next question. It looks as though the side brackets sit inside the door against the inner door frame and get screwed into the car? Wasn't sure if this is correct but I've eliminated any other possible option I can think of.

16. onedge

onedge

Yeah screw to car door jamb.

17. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen, real custom car guys pulled those ugly things off and threw them in the scrap pile the first day they had a car with them on and only the bolt on every Western Auto/Pep Boys/ JC Whitney gee gaw "customizer" would have one. Make sure you get the mudflaps and a half dozen Buick portholes to go along with them along with one of those bird with the colored plastic wings hood ornaments..

19. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Mr48chev, thanks for your input. After reading this completely enlightening statement I realize I've been doing my build completely wrong. Rather than build to my liking I should have first consulted you to find out how I should really build my car. Sorry bud, like it or hate it unless you want to buy it it's going to have a Fulton so hope you can sleep tonight.

20. tedster

tedster

66 years old and now I find out I am a gee gaw customizer as the original visor is still on my shoebox. Thanks a lot. Suicide may be the only answer. Damn.

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You are correct and Mr48 is correct. You are correct to build your car however you wish and outside sunvisors are popular to use these days on old cars. I am going to put one on my 51 AD along with skirts, spotlight, foglights, you get the picture.
    Mr48 is also right in his statement that young guys "back then" took all that stuff off. They wanted their cars clean with any doodah. I wasn't around back then but I have many family members that were and they told me the same thing as Mr48 mention.
    I like the look of Sunvisors on some cars but not all and I think they look best on old Chevys, 1954 and back. Your car will look good with the Fulton. Remember that the side brackets bolt onto the inside door pillar. I've seen many of them bolted on the outside of the the door pillar, which is wrong.

22. Cruiser

Cruiser

I would say when it comes to a Sun Shield, to each his own that's what are cars are about. If, you want to use a Sun Shield go for it, they look very good on a lot of cars. If, you don't like Sun Shields like Mr48 and take cheap shots at those who do, we have some pink hanging dice for your ride. Not everyone took them off their cars in the day, it's just a matter of taste. After, all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". :D

CRUISER :cool:

[​IMG]

23. Since you know so much about these, I wonder what the look on your face would be if you looked through some old issues of HR Magazine and counted the ESVs, or went out to CA and called some of those guys gee gaw customizers. The one on my car is a genuine accessory offered by GM back in the day and, yeah, I took it off back in '73 when I first bought the car but I like the look of it and that's why it went on the car. I guess maybe my taste finally grew up. You should too.

24. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

times 2 fortyniner

25. tedster

tedster

Sweet.

26. firingorder1

firingorder1

There's your problem right there Tedster. You're 66 years old. You were around when visors were cool and way before they became traditional. Now this is 2013 and by 2013 traditional standards 1950 traditional is defined as flat black or rusty a.k.a. "patina" with red rims and wide whites. Visors have been relegated by one mans opinion to the untraditional pile.

27. desotot

desotot

28. mikes51

mikes51

I'll agree with the above. I don't remember any guys back then using sunvisors. But I saw that 50 years ago, it's not surprising that current styles are going to change a bit. Cruiser's ride is pretty clean, it's an example of this new style that is not exactly like cars were, but it works visually.

I notice if you do use a visor, the angle at which it is mounted is subtle but pretty important. Like the way spotlights are mounted, where, what angle, etc.

Around here, I see them mounted so radical, like they are almost touching the hood to exaggerate. Is it easy to change the angle of mounting?

For you guys running the accessories, you should have been there, I remember the JC Whitney 1955 or so catalog. The special hood ornament section was about 10 pages long! :)

Last edited: May 3, 2013