Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got a story of a car you "loved & lost" or sold? And found...years later? Share it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffg1010, Apr 28, 2013.

1. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

I sold my '63 F100 shortbed. It was a plain Jane 6 cylinder that had a four speed with a granny first. It was the factory mint green and we bought it for 700 bucks in 2008 and reshot the paint and gave it matching tuck and roll green upholstery. Gave it some baby moons and thin white walls. lowered it about 2 inches. The only one like it around Reno and then when I moved to Sac.

I sold it in 2011 because I thought I couldn't maintain 2 vehicles. I loved it cause I would run it on a lot of road trips and I sunk the Convoy Duck hood ornament on it cause it was my rig. Been looking for it since I started dreaming about it a year ago.

2. chop32

chop32

I started my own thread about this car a couple months back, but thought that it fits this thread also...
    It all started for me the day in 1967 when my brother Tom gave me a ride to grade school in his 1930 Model A Coupe. It was my first ride in a Hot Rod.
    With a solid lifter 283, 3 speed stick tranny, ’50 Olds rear end and cheater slicks, the car just cemented my interest in all things Hot Rod. The older picture is of my brother and I sitting on the running board of the car and was taken in '67 when I was 6 and he was 20.
    Sadly, a little over a year later, the car was sold.
    I saw the car once more and it had been painted a burnt orange color and a set of aluminum mags had been added. This was in 1969, and had it not been for my brother saying “that’s my old car”, I would have never known. I was told that the car was sold again a year later to the uncle of a family friend.
    I had inquired about buying the car 20 or so years later and was told it was still in the garage, but torn apart for a rebuild. I was also told that it had been promised to another of his nephews.
    Another 20 years passes by and although I wasn’t actively pursuing the car, it never really left my mind. The handful of times I saw someone from their family and made mention of the car never got me any solid info, then in 2010 I was told that the car was gone.
    I had given up any hope, figuring that the car would end up with a tweed interior, billet wheels, and no sign of its former identity.
    Fast forward to late December 2012 when I get an email from the above mentioned family friend saying that his cousin in Southern Ca. has my brothers old Model A. Turns out that he is the nephew that the car had been promised to many years ago and had had the car since 2002. He had been not-so-actively trying to sell the car and, after verifying my story, told me that it was meant to be that the car end up back in my family.
    In February 2013, 3 of my fellow club members and I made the 900+ mile round trip from Northern CA to Temecula, CA to pick up the truck and trailer load of parts that were once my brothers car. The body still wears the same burnt orange paint job that I remember from 44 years ago and the aluminum mags are there also. The car is still titled with the same black and yellow license plates that were on it that fateful day in 1967.
    Plan is to put it back as it was when my brother owned it, while doing a few things to it that I remember him wanting to do!

Attached Files:

3. Chop32, that is another great story. Glad you now have it. Did you brother run a Model T steering wheel in that coupe?

4. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

RE: the Yellow Submarine VW

He wanted $1000.00 which to me was too much because it was too far gone.

5. chop32

chop32

Im not sure and unfortunately, he isn't around to ask, but it sure looks like one in the photo!

6. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

When I was a youngster of 14, in 1972, I struck up a friendship with a retired elderly neighbor. He had a 64 Plymouth that he had purchased new. At the time, I was really big on building model cars, was a Richard Petty fan, and had built about a half dozen of the old Johan 64 Petty Plymouth kits. I really fell in love, and wanted a 64. I would spend lots of time visiting my neighbor and looking over his Plymouth that was kept in the garage and well maintained. I wanted that car, and he said he would like me to have it one day. I grew up and we moved away, but I kept an eye on the Plymouth. After he passed away, I went back and visited his widow a few times over the years, but she was still driving it and was not willing to let it go. After a few more years, I had not seen her or the car for a while. I went by their house, and it had been sold! She had passed away, and I had not been aware of it. I was very dissapaointed that I had missed my chance to own my dream 64 Plymouth. Many years later, 1987, I spotted the Plymouth at a McDonald's! I talked to the owner, and he was their son who had inherited the car. He kind of remembered me and that I had been a little neighborhood kid that his Dad said was interested in the car, but he was He was not willing to sell it. He did take my phone number. A year later, I got the call! He needed the bucks for a new vehicle he wanted to purchase. I made the deal and bought it over the phone without even a test drive. Finally got my 64 Plymouth! I said I wanted it when I was 14, and was finally able to buy it when I was 29! See my avatar...

7. O/T but if I could get back the '70 Gran Prix my dad bought new I'd about kill to do it.

Factory 4-speed, posi car. No vinyl top, either. Was the first car I had to myself to drive when I was 16.

Everything else I still have or has gone to scrap -

8. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

Nice! It's cool that you have the photo too. That brings the story to life. I'd like to talk to ya more. My email is [email protected]

Another cool story! Got any old pics of the car? Either way, we gotta talk sometime. My email is [email protected]

9. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

We have a website being built that will be launched in late Summer to promote the book, but in the meantime... please like us on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ones-That-Got-Away/569402729757456
    If you have a car/truck/motorcycle that is still "missing" please upload the photo to the Facebook page and we will promote it for you. Or, email it to me at [email protected] with "Facebook photo" as the subject and I will list it in the "Ones That Got Away" album. Ya never know!!!

website is www.theonesthatgotaway.com

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  10. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

When I first started in cars, I was into VW's

I once bought a '60 Karmann Ghia, started fixin' it up and then found a '71 Ghia convertible I wanted. I sold the '60 to a friend in order to fund the 'vert.
    A couple of years later the 'vert got totaled. (not me, a girlfriend, long story) The total got sold to a guy about 90 miles north. (same town my buddy lived)
    Well, now without a car, I found out my buddy had my old '60 for sale, so I bought it.
    A year later, I am at a car show with the '60 and someone shows up in my old '71 'vert!
    It had be brought back to life and looked great.
    The guy that owned it, said he really wanted a hardtop when he bought it. REALLY!!!!
    No guessing here, we worked out a trade.

Ok, if I didn't loose you; I sold a '60 Ghia to by a '71 Ghia.
    Later, after buying the same '60 back, I traded it to get the same '71 back!

11. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

12. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

why does my post not go thru after typing the story???? but short ones do is there a character limit?? I'll try again shorter.

13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I wanted to buy a 40 Ford 2dr sedan in 1968 when I was 16 for $400. I call it 40#1. It had a 348-409, powerglide, in primer, & no interior. My dad wouldnt front me the $200 I needed to complete the sale. It never left my mind. I saw it 4 yrs later as a finished car. Beautiful with blk paint, flames, pearl wht interior, and a chrome rear end housing. I had another 40 2dr sedan at the time, 40 #2. Sold it and got out of hot rodding. I heard 40#1's owner sold the car and died later. I retired in 2003 and in 2008 bought another 40 2dr sedan 40#3. Almost done with it, old school looks, blk with flames, red & wht tuck/roll, chrome wheels, sbc, 700R4, Must II frt end, etc. In September 2012 I saw 40#1's widow and asked if she had any pic's of 40#1. She didnt but I could come over and take some of my own. Her son found the car in Colorado, bought it, put it in storage here in Nebraska before moving to California. I talked to son about buying it but he's hesitant to sell it. I'm still working on it though

14. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

When my wife & went to look at 40#1 I asked about buying it from the son, but said I would have to sell 40#3 1st. My wife (who never swears) lost it and said "ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS, YOU WOULD SELL OUR COMPLETED CAR TO BUY THIS"

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

is that your wife in your avatar?

16. Attached Files:

17. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

to black 62, only in my dreams. the one & only Linda Vaughan

18. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

Cool story. Let me know if you ever get ahold of it!

19. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

Back to the top... anybody else have a story to share?

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I had a '66 Mustang coupe back in about '84 or '85. I sold it to a friend and the deal was he pay half at the time and the rest later. After I sold it, I missed it. Well, months go by and the guy moves, no word or money given. So, I give it up for lost. Then, about 3 months later, I get a storage lot lien letter for the car! I go down, pay the fees and I drive it off. Still in the shape I sold it.:)

A couple years later, I sell it again. This time the guy wrecks it beyond repair.:(

21. I had a '64 GTO back in college in the mid 80's, bought it with money I couldn't spare and sold it a year later. I hear it's in Oak Park. Red with Chevy 327 CID, had H gate shifter.

Just sold some car parts to a guy and we got around to talking about cars, and he said a mutual buddy of ours knew a guy that bought my old '68 Chevelle SS back in '93 as a roller. Can't wait to here if that car is still around.

22. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

Bumping this thread back to the top. My job got in the way so we ran into some delays on publishing. That's all changed now (NEW JOB!!!) I'd love to throw a few more chapters in the mix. I will also be getting in touch with a few of you to follow up on the storys already listed in the thread.

23. Here's one for ya Jeff. I had a '57 two-door post car that was pro-streeted; narrowed Currie 9", massive rear meats, front skinnies, fiberglass buckets, full cage, had switches for ignition and lights up on the front header bar, pumped 355 sbc, headers, all the good shit.

About three years ago the phone rings at ten at night; Hello, is this so and so?,yeees, do you own a '57 Chevy with RAD 57 license plates?, who is this? I used to own that car and want to buy it back! Sorry, it's not for sale. Besides, there's a million '57 Chevys, buy one and recreate your high school car. NO, it has to be that one, I met my wife in it, brought my first born home in it. Sorry, it's my hot rod and not for sale. Click.

Seems he had been looking for a decade for the car when one day in his shop he happened on an old registration and had his sheriff buddy run the vin.

Well, he called me back the next day with a reasonable cash offer. No thanks. He called me everyday for a week each time upping the ante. It got ridiculous and I finally did the right thing and took the money.:D

Turns out, that car had been a dedicated race car since 1965, he owned it from 1970 to 1985. It had a dual quad 409 and was a Super Chevy Shoot-out winner at Orange County in 1980 and '81. He sold it to build a faster car but regretted it. It had the same paint, seats, shifter and cage that he had done and he still had the headers for the 409 under his bench.

Attached Files:

24. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

This is a pretty cool story too. Did you keep his contact info? Maybe you could bounce the book idea off of him to see if he'd be interested in talking to me? Or you could PM me his email or phone # and I may reach out to him myself.

25. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

I bought an O/T 69 Camaro summer 1981.396/4speed, couldn't keep rocker arms or push rods in it. Put in 350 I rebuilt, drove it while raising family. Figured I needed a little 4x4 more. Traded it to my brother in 1995. He had visions of restoring it. My daughter inlaw talked to my brother about buying it and he GAVE it to my son for his 30th birthday. We have pictures of him at a year old sitting on the trunk lid. He is currently making it run again.

Attached Files:

• 059.jpg
      059.jpg
      File size:
      485.8 KB
      Views:
  26. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I do , but it brings back bad memories about selling my 40 Ford coupe. Damn ...wish I had that car back.

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

if i had won the lottery, I would have hired an investigator to find my old wagon. It would be my first purchase.

when I had it
    [​IMG]

what it looks like now (which I really like)

[​IMG]

have not seen pictures of it in a while, thought this might have been it (maybe the owner upgraded to a 54 grill ) but doubht it as I do not think someone would add the hood emblem back on and the rear door handle is shaved on it.

[​IMG]

28. American Hellbilly

American Hellbilly
    from Seymour,IN

Here is a pic of my grandpa's 1965 Rambler Ambassador 990. It was last on the road in 2000, my grandpa died in 2001. When my grandma was put in a nursing home the house was sold and the car disappeared. I was getting some exhaust turn downs made for my American. The owner of the shop said he just bought a Rambler at his other shop a town over. Long story short its back in the family again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Boones

"have not seen pictures of it in a while, thought this might have been it (maybe the owner upgraded to a 54 grill ) but doubht it as I do not think someone would add the hood emblem back on and the rear door handle is shaved on it."

They would of had to change the fenders also.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

30. Toner283

Toner283