Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Is the ballast before or after the coil ? Chris

2. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

ELpolacko-
    Same distributor and coil as last time and we've tried 2 different coils also.

Fuzzy- Good idea. I'll check the alternator at 2500 rpm.

Chris- Before the coil.

Any other ideas???

3. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You said you've measured the voltage at the resistor - but that's not necessarily the voltage the coil might be getting / seeing. For example, if there's a resistor bypass when cranking wire (dunno what that's actually called) which is permanently hot for some reason (eg fault at stater / starter relay) then the ressitor is effectively permanently bypassed and its' voltage reading is irrelevant. Just a thought. Hate chasing down electrical problems only slightly less than brake issues - you have my sympathy!

Chris

4. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

You might want to make a new thread just about your distributor/point problem. That might get a few more opinions on the problem. Do you have any more tshirts in a 2x size?

5. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Happydaze- We tested the bypass and it is operating correctly. Thanks for the idea though.

wkends-
    Thanks for the idea about a new thread.
    Yes I have some 2X available. PM me and I'll give you the details.

6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Rick,
    The condenser also is a big factor in point life. Back when points were the daily norm and we would do tune ups if the points were nice, no pitting or burnt contacts we would keep the condenser and install new points.

Maybe some research on different condensers and values of microfarads so it may take some time to find the one best suited for your application.

Cliff Ramsdell

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just a quick idea on the ignition deal, You might P.M. GMC Bubba out of Indy with an idea of what's going on... That guy seems to have more Ignition knowledge than most and has helped me though a couple of situations in the recent past.

8. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Thanks Cliff, I mentioned this to Rick as well. This is something my Dad schooled me on.

9. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Tio Geo-
    Great idea. Help me sell it.

11. I also believe that you should look at the condenser. I have a feeling that yours has failed.

Most people look at the condenser as solely a capacitor, but that's not completely true. When the points open and the magnetic field collapses, it still sends current into the primary. It's very little, but it can still jump the air-gap when the points open. If it continues to do this, it will start burning the points. The job of the condenser is that it eliminates the arcing and controls the voltage at the points.

12. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

ok..let's ask him tonight

13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I just got off the phone with the Mallory people and they gave me a few things to check.
    I'll let you know the results later today.

14. jalopy45

jalopy45

Point gap, dwell. voltage at points and condensor.

15. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

jalopy45-
    Point gap is .016 and then set at 30 degrees dwell.
    Check the voltage running or just with the key on?

16. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

I agree with tio geo. Someone who can make a shoe box go 144 ---well that is enough, I guess.

I agree with the condenser guys, unless you have already checked that. Then I'm fresh out of ideas.

Pretty agreeable, aren't I?

17. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

I'll agree with that

18. jalopy45

jalopy45

Key on = same as running, only time voltage should be higher is when cranking. and make sure the plate the points attach to is not flopping around.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  19. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Gary aka jalopy45-
    Voltage at points is 6.6.
    Also, I received the decals. I'll wait until I have the electrical issues solved before I use them just in case it is a coil issue. I don't want to waste them. If I get another coil that has good ones, I'll return these to you.
    Thanks!
    Rick

Attached Files:

20. jalopy45

jalopy45

The voltage is good. Using the process of elimination that seems to leave the condensor, An old school test for that is just put a radio near the car with engine running, if you get a lot of static, you found the problem.
    From Popular Mechanics May 1950, desribing a condenser...
    It is basically a temporary storage device for electricity. The condenser is a simple capacitor that can store a small amount of current. When the points begin to open, the current flowing through the points looks for an alternative path to ground. If the condenser were not there, it would try to jump across the gap of the points as they begin to open. If this were allowed to happen, the points would quickly burn up and you would hear heavy static on the car radio.

21. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Rick, just a thought, is there a good ground from battery to engine ?

22. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

6.6 volts at points, that leaves bad condenser.

23. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Mike's first law of auto repair: check or replace the inexpensive parts first. Capacitors fall into this category.

The engineers got paid a lot of money to think about how to keep cars from destroying themselves, so they put stuff in the systems that could fail and keep other, more expensive stuff from being ruined.

24. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

FOURTYDLX-
    Thanks Les! These will work out great. I only need 2 more now. The flat side on the inside really makes a difference.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

Attached Files:

25. jalopy45

jalopy45

Electrical demons defeated??? :cool:

26. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I believe so. Put a few miles on the Sedan today and it seems okay. More miles will tell the tale. I'm still not confident in it enough to go a long drive yet. I am going to drive it to Pasadena tomorrow. About 25 miles round trip.

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Yesterday's outing was uneventful and that's a good thing. I'm going to put a few more miles on it today and if everything goes well, then it is on to the other little details.

28. plumpcars

plumpcars

We have had a lot of trouble here in the UK with poorly produced condensers only lasting a very short while. This has applied to some previously good brands which now appear to source the cheapest available sadly. Those who have experienced it tend to search out NOS items in preference.

29. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I haven't been posting much because of my frustration level with the Sedan. It finally is running like it should. If you remember we had a leaky Stewart Warner fuel pump the night before the Hot Rod show. We took it off and bypassed it with a rubber fuel line. In my haste, it had a kink in it and that is what has been causing a fuel issue. It would run great at part throttle and then fall flat on its face when I nailed it. In a Hot Rod, that's not much fun. I'm not above making mistakes (I hope my family doesn't see this) and I hope this helps someone else out there.
    I'm leaving now with Tim to make a run to Pete's house. I'll let you know how it goes.

30. OK....are you back yet?????? lol.........