Register now to get rid of these ads!

10 Bolt 8.5 gear swap school me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65ssnova, Apr 30, 2013.

1. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

Hey guys i have a 65 nova with a mildly narrowed 10 bolt 8.5 with non highway friendly gears, either 4.89 or 5.13s and it was like that when i got it but im wanting a cruiser not a drag car. So i want to remove my current gears and replace them with a set of 3.42s that i got from a buddies dad,he gave me a complete 81 camaro 10 bolt 8.5 rear end because he's building a drag car with a ford 9".

My question is between my two rears what do i need to do for the swap
    -Do i use my current carrier?
    -Do i use the camaro 3.42 carrier?
    -Does the axle being mildly narrowed effect anything?

My rear in the nova was recently rebuilt so its got all new bearings. I want to keep my posi unit also.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated im tryin to get her ready for summer cruising! :D

2. Larry T

Larry T

You'll probably have to use the carrier out of the Camaro (3 series). The lower gears probably use a 4 series carrier unless it has the thick ring gear, which use a 3 series carrier and special pin. Clear as mud?

And I'd probably start with the pinion spacer that is stock with the Camaro rear end. Then do a white lead check (not really lead anymore) to make sure the pattern is right. .008 ring gear backlash.

3. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

Thats what i was thinking, ive never done a gear swap and plan on having this one done by a pro but im hoping what ive got will work out and get me cruising!

4. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

So is this an easy swap?

5. No..not for a novice.
    That type of rear is not the one you want to start with.
    Technically you need access to a press and a case spreader, dial indicator and stand, pinion depth gauge etc..
    There are ways get around some of that stuff but you won't see them in a shop manual.
    I know there are some variations in the 8.5s so it's hard to say what you might run into.
    I'd say, for those who want to learn the process of gear swapping ..start with a 8 or 9" Ford ,and follow the shop manual.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Your 65 rear-end is not an 8.5, it is an 8.2, and as such, internal hard parts won't swap. If the Camaro rear is't too wide, I'd use that, and sell the 8.2 as a complete unit. However, things like backing plates and brakes, rear cover will swap if needed. I'm not certain on when the 8.2 to 8.5 occurred, I think it was 1972. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Butch, I don't think you can get a 5.13 for an 8.2.
    When the o.p. said it was slightly narrowed, I figured it was a later 8.5
    72-74 Nova type cars, 2nd gen F bodies, maybe even from an S10 V8 stick shift truck..
    But ..who knows? Story developing...

8. bigdav160

bigdav160

different year cases had different spline axles. Unlikely you'll be able to reuse the posi as the higher gear ratio will have a much larger (diameter) pinion gear. Some gear manufactures do make special sets to mount a 3 series gear to a 4 series case but I'm not sure of a 5 series to 3 series.

9. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

It's an 8.5, most likely not original.

10. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

And the camaro rear is way too wide.

11. Yes I know that..but you said slightly narrowed..but 2'' or 6 " costs about the same to do.

12. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

My nova rear is narrowed about 2-3" on each end

13. Larry T

Larry T

You can tell the difference in 8.2 and 8.5 pretty easily when you pull the cover. The 8.2 has standard right hand threads and the 8.5 has metric left handed threads---------------------------I think.

14. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

They are both 8.5s

15. Larry T

Larry T

Not arguing with you, just throwing out information (maybe misinformation). :D

And as a side, I'd just about run an 8.5 in a hot street car as any rear end. I've had good luck with them.

16. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

Yeah i didnt mean to sound like i was arguing ha, I want to use my current housing because its mildly narrowed for my 8" tires (a upgrade in a chevy ii lol) and the tubes are welded to the pumpkin. Just not street friendly with my current gears.