Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC in a ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TulsaChokehld, Jan 16, 2005.

1. TulsaChokehld

TulsaChokehld
    from Tulsa OK

OK, I have a question for anyone who can or is willing to answer it. I have a Chevy 350 that is waiting for a vehicle to be put into. Well, yesterday in my regular travels around town, I saw a early 50's Ford PU for sale. Unfurtunately, it was in a fenced in lot with barbed wire around the top of the fence, so I couldn't get too close to it to check it out. Also, I couldn't see a number to call about how much the truck is. Then I began to think about it.... How much of a pain in the ass woud it be to get a SBC to fit into that generation ford?

Like I said in the begining, any and all info is welcome.
    Now, onto my biscuits and gravy, I will return shorty to see if anyone has responded.

2. TulsaChokehld

TulsaChokehld
    from Tulsa OK

3. Dirty2

Dirty2

There is lots of room in a 50's ford truck to put any motor in !!!

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I have had a few of the 1948 to 1956 Ford picups with a SBC in them........real easy to do. Automatic transmissions make it a lot easier. I used a crossmember kit from Speedway. It is too long (on purpose) and you just trim it to the correct width and weld it in. Then I used a piece of box tubing and made the transmission crossmember. I installed a 59 Ford F100 rear in mine. It is a 9 inch so I could easily change the rear ratio to a 3.25 (highway driving).

[​IMG]

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Several companies make swap kits to drop SBCs into early 50s Ford peekups...real popular with rodders since about the late 50s, actually!

A dude in my 'hood built a 50 Ford pickup on a mid 70s Chevy truck frame and made it fit/look/work well...was his sunny day driver for YEARS with a stone stock, but fully refurbished Chevy truck chassis and 350 4v.

6. You gotta be kiddin' me,,,,,,I thought they put SBC in fords from the factory! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]HRP

7. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

[ QUOTE ]
    You gotta be kiddin' me,,,,,,I thought they put SBC in fords from the factory! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]HRP

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] well I dunno about them coming installed but they were designed for the eventual swap [​IMG]

8. TulsaChokehld

TulsaChokehld
    from Tulsa OK

Thanks all. that is basicaly what I was asking. I didnt knwo if it was going to be a pain in the ass to do. Now that I knwo it is a relativlely easy swap, I will definately be trying to get ahold of the guy selling it. Hopefully, he doesnt want too much for it and I can find a place to keep this fucking thing.

9. Rocklock

Rocklock

And that is how to improve a sbc, put it in a real truck... but it sure cheapens the Ford.

10. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green">I thought those old Fords came with Chevy small blocks in them already?

Mama Rash was after Christmas shopping and saw a 32 Ford model going cheap, called to see if I wanted it. DUH. She gets it home and I'm looking it over and the damn thing has an SBC in it, ramhorns and all!

</font>

11. Dirk35

Dirk35

IF you get the truck, I have a 48 Ford PU cab (been wrecked on passenger side, but the glass and the majority of it is good) and the back half of the frame with a checvy 10 bolt rear-end Ill give you for free if you haul it away.

Free, Free, Free.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I put a 350 in my 53 Ford F100. It was easy. Just don't buy the motor mounts from No Limit. They are a joke.

13. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

small block chev 350 , mustang II front suspension, ford 8 inch maverick rear diff under this 1961 Dodge Lancer.

14. McGrath

McGrath

I don't know about Fords from the 50's, but my '65 F100 didn't even require special mounts for the SBC swap. I used '69 Chevy Truck motor mounts, and it set right down in place of the original 352 with no other modifications. I did have to make a crossmember for the tranny, but thats pretty simple.

On hindsight though, I should have moved the Frame mounts forward about an inch before dropping the SBC in. The extra room for the HEI distributor would have been nice... [​IMG]

15. corrosive

corrosive
    from 08070

I have a 59 f100 .im doing a sbc swap. do u need to remove the old k-member out ? it had the six and three on the tree.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, have a Chevy motor laying around and going to put it in a Ford truck that is likely not For Sale. the pain that we put ourselves through trying to figure this stuff out..

17. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i was still in my fortys when this thread started!

18. Holy mother of old thread coming back from the grave!

19. My SBC 350 in a very roomy 50 Mercury!!

Attached Files:

20. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

it is natures way...

21. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

Man a sbc in. A ford now Ive seen it all

22. sedanbob

sedanbob

This thread is almost old enough to prove that an SBC in a Ford is Traditional.

23. steve185

steve185

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

24. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im a chevy guy. But im starten to dig old fords. Its kind of a discrace to put a chevy motor in a ford. yucky!!! not cool in my eyes. Fords are the roots of this hobby. I think we should save as many old fords as we can. Ok im done running my mouth.

25. davidh73750

davidh73750

Last month or so a somewhat looking original F1 on fast n loud looked like it had a old 283 in it. For a cruiser I don't mind a 350 olds or caddy motor. A roller 302 is good too what ever your budget allows just get it on road ASAP

26. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Ha I was reading through the thread .I got to you and checked the date! ha:eek:

27. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Bump For Ford Sourpusses to weep some more :)

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

First post and it's an 8 year old thread. Classic FNG.

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread is so old it needs sandblasting and patch panels.