Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kind of stuff might I find at Pate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpu28, Apr 25, 2013.

1. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

I've never been to a swap meet with over 100 or so stalls, and half of those would be T-shirts and questionable Craftsman tools. The other half would be rusty SBC and Mopar parts except for one stall with a flathead bellhousing or generator.

At a large show like Pate, what are the chances that I would find a pristine Model A frame and/or the full drive train (fan to banjo) from a '39 - '48 Ford V8, in a ragged-out car or out?

In other words, does anyone think it's worth a four-hour drive to look for just those two items?

2. There is a good chance you'l find some if not all you are looking for. You'll have to walk fast and long to check every thing out. If I only had to drive 4hr I'd have been there today.
    I have to be in Wy tomorrow night.

3. Never been but friends have.Lots of walking and bring a wagon and money,you'll probably find more than you can buy.

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I got a good buddy that is at Pate. He may have everything you need or know where it is. I'll PM you his phone number. As far as what can you find at pate, Everything, even a few kitchen sinks.

5. How about a hemi bar stool,no its not mine.

Attached Files:

6. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Thanks; already have one.

7. 4 Hours!!Down here we would drive 2 days to get to a swap like that.The swap at the LSR probably had what you needed!Did you try there?

8. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Less than 10% of the cars at LSR are what you might call traditional rods, and the swap meet reflects that interest. I've been to all the publicized swap meets in Central Texas, and the amount of flathead stuff seems to decline yearly - and Central Texas is not exactly a hot spot of traditional rods, anyway.

That's why I'm interested in Pate.

9. I can guantee you will find some very tired feet from walking all the stalls..

10. gusonthebus

gusonthebus

I saw a nice model A frame at Pate yesterday for I believe $3300. More than one. They are there!

11. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

I arrived at Pate at 1130 Saturday morning and walked for 3 1/2 hours. There would be much less walking if there were not campers and RV's parked between many of the stalls.

Mainly I was disappointed at the selection of HAMB-style parts. At least half the stalls had nothing to do with car parts, and many were stocked with what looked like the remnants of someone cleaning their garage. A fair amount of repro frames and sheet metal, if that's your game.

But aside from a beautiful McCollough supercharger and a few well-detailed flatheads, I saw nothing that would help me finish my car.

12. All the good stuff is gone by 11:30 Saturday morning. Try being there, oh, Thursday at o-dark-thirty for the best scores(and that applies to Hershey, Carlisle, Charlotte, Springfield Mo, Nashville, NSRA Nats, etc, etc) ;)

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

you snoze you looze

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I haven't had the chance to go to Pate yet but that is definitely on my to-do list. Brian Bass put up a pretty extensive list of parts he bought on FaceBook, which included several 4-speeds, a lot of early Ford parts, a Hudson steering box, wheels, early Hemi stuff, and tools.

Then he proceeded to remark, quote, unquote:

"I thought it was the best Pate swap meet in years."

11:30 is lunchtime. Better luck next time.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. I took lots of 34 ford stuff and 3 40's cabs and lots of other traditional stuff like a Lasalle trans set up for 50's olds engine. But you have to be there thursday or at the latest fri early. The early bird gets the worm.

16. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I go to sell every year and this year was no exception.

Made it a point this year to stick to the selling part and not try to bring home every good stray part that I might use some day.

I spent less than $100 and 60 of that was to get my Swap meet wagon pinstriped by Ken.

I did see lots of deals I wouldn't have passed on in earlier years but there just comes a time to either eliminate some of the crowding in the shop or build on. Can't afford to build on.

Hell my last two projects were the Atlas swap meet wagon and a Taylor Tot stroller.