Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 NHRA Nationals participation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jpnewlin, Apr 30, 2013.

1. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

I found this rear view mirror hanger at a garage sale this past weekend and was curious what participants recieved that actually raced at the event. I have seen the decal and the cards. This was the first time i have seen one of these hangers. Was a packet handed out?
    It would be cool to hear from some folks that were there. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

Thats cool......!!!! Nice find

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Very cool, I'm guessing you've got the perfect place to hang it too! :D

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

You got it when you registered your car to race. You also filled out a tech card for your car, these got tied on your belt loop or button hole on your shirt and enabled you to access all of the area at Indy for the 4 or 5 days. I have the "Participant" decal for the windshield and the 64 program with my MG pre-registered. Got the time slips also but not that tag, nice find.

Pat

Attached Files:

5. with that serial number of 1842 i wonder if there is any way to trace who had that?

6. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Thanks Pat. That is great info!

7. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Right on. It is hanging on the mirror right now.

8. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Pat,
    Do you have the rest of the entry list still around?
    The gentleman that it belonged to is listed as the driver for entry 434, but if the hanger has him as participant 88 i am assuming he may have drove his car or another car as well. Would the entry and participant number be defined as the same thing?

9. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Entry # 434 Ivan Luttrell
    Driver Graham Carney Anderson,Tenn. (car)38 Bantam (eng) 57 Chrysler

I have my belt tag also. They all have that 88 on them. I'll try to post a photo of it.

10. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Actually, I think this is Fred Bear's Pit Access Tag from 1964.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

I came across another tag online that read 88 so would they all of been #88 and the number at the bottom be the number issued? If that is true then were there that many participants?

12. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Looks like the same photographer as the MG posted previously.

[​IMG]

13. 0ldracer

0ldracer

There were not that many "Participants". But there were easily that many Pit Passes issued to Owners, Drivers, Crew Members, etc.

My Entry List shows 1158 Race Cars entered.

14. csanborn

csanborn

Ivan Luttrell is a name from my past. My name is Bo Sanborn. In the early 60s, I lived in Nashville, owned the chassis that Robert Wimpy drove (I sometimes drove also). We used my engine and Nathan Burnett's.

I have often wondered what happened to you---even drove past your old house in the past.

I wandered back to nostalgia drag racing about 5 years ago---still like it!

Best of luck to you!

15. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Bo,
    I am not Ivan. I visited a sale at the home of what i believe to someone in the Carney family. Graham Carney is the name on the materials i found and is the driver listed on the entry list. He owned a welding business and raced in the Nashville area during that time.

I would love to hear more from you. I started a post on the Union Hill Dragstrip in the 1960's trying to get some racers from the area to chime in.

16. FEBCO

FEBCO

Actually, at the '64 US Nationals at Indy, Dave Hales was the driver of the #207 posted in # 10, 11, and 12, as you can see his name above the door in post #10 and 11, so that may be his pit access tag.....If it's mine, it just reminds me again.....I wish I had given him all the stuff over all these years....that way, I'd know where it was, and he could produce it immediately, as he always does.....Thanks again....

17. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Basically "88's" were pit passes that when visibly worn allowed access to all areas except that restricted to photographers and officials. A number [can't remember how many] of them came with every entry. If an entrant had a small crew and didn't need all his it was common to sell them and make some of the entry fee back. Buddy [he had gone in '63 and learned the "system" then] and I went out in '64 as spectators, showed up at inspection and asked around until we found an entrant with a couple for sale and then spent the whole meet playing go fer and viewing the event from the pit side. I still have the tag, would have to dig it out for the number on the bottom.

Ed

18. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Great info Ed. Thanks for sharing.

19. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Dug out the old "88" pass today to check the number, it's 1360 on the bottom.

Good thing I didn't bet the farm on remembering all the details exactly.... I also found a blank entry application for the same meet, about 2/3 the way down it says "$20.00 ENTRY FEE includes Car Entry, plus Admission and Pit Passes for [2] persons. Extra crewmen pay $12.00 each for admission and pit pass, god for all five days of competition. A total of five [5] persons may accompany an entrant car at this event. Each car's owner or driver must be a member of NHRA in good standing at the time of the Nationals.

CREDENTIALS WILL BE ISSUED ONLY AFTER CAR HAS PASSED INSPECTION AND ACCEPTED FOR COMPETITION. POST ENTRY FEE, for entries accepted after July 15, 1964 - $35.00 Crew members other than Owner and Driver who will accompany car at Nationals:" followed by 3 lines with places for Name, Address, and Age.

I don't remember ever filling out anything with my name, address, and age. I don't know if we got them from someone who had pre entered and didn't need them or from a post entry who picked up the max extras for a little resale markup. Time to ask my buddy next time I see him how he remembers the details.

Ed

20. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Interesting info Ed. Thanks for taking the time to find it and share it!

21. csanborn

csanborn

Don't hesitate to e-mail me-----sanborn@ark paper.net.

And, We will be at the Hot Rod Reunion at Beech Bend. I seem to remember your car being there in years past. Our car in a Hemi powered FED, 7.0 Pro class. Stop by any time, I really don't do anything on the car. The only reason I am there is to cook and watch the young ones do their thing!

22. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

I am not sure which person this was going to be i will be there again this year.
    Cooking and watching sound like a good plan!

23. region rat

region rat

Jp. There was a 55 gassrer that ran the 64 Nationals with a 409. I know you like those a bit. Landis and Flaugher ran the car. I've been trying to find info on the car.

Bob Walla

jpnewlin likes this.
  24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very cool find for sure.
    I used to watch the MG run every Sunday at Dover Drag Strip and it was always a real crowd please-er.

I have the 66 Indy Program and from time to time I like to look at it.

I wish I had the 1964 program because there were a number of guys I knew who went to Indy that year.

Jimbo

jpnewlin likes this.