Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edsel suspension vs. Ford suspension...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61unib100, Apr 16, 2013.

1. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Just a quick question here... I have a 1958 Edsel Pacer and I want to replace all the suspension bushings so my question is will 1958 Ford Fairlane parts swap? I've heard the Pacer is basically a fairlane chassis.

2. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

A good way to check is go to Macs auto parts website and see if the part numbers match.

3. From what I can tell the front suspension is very similar with the Ford Fairlane,,but I'm not a expert,,why not call the guys at Kanter and get it from them.

http://www.kanter.com/

I got all the front suspension for the wagon from them and have been extremely satisified. HRP

4. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

I will check and compare part numbers, I just wanted to make sure that local parts shops didn't change part numbers and increase prices for fun! I am planning on lowering the edsel but want to change some parts while I'm in there. With that said should I cut the coils or buy aerostar? Is ride that bad on cut coils?

5. There are some differences in the real early production jr vehicles in the upper control arm bushings.

Check and see when your was manufactured.If its later than Oct of 57 the regular Ford parts are fine.

Oldmics

6. PTO

PTO
    from CA

I have swapped A arms from 57/58 Fords and 58 Edsel pacers many times. I have never had any issues whatsoever. So it should be all the same. Oldmics says early ones are different, but I have never run into a difference. I have seen different versions of the large rubber next to the ball joint, but that makes no difference.

7. My daily is on cut coils, they are stiffer but ride is good. If you cut them don't use a torch, use a wheel. also if you don't like the cut coils you can always buy the other ones later. by cutting them you can adjust the ride height to exactly where you want it albeit a time consuming task of remove cut install, remove cut install, don't get too excited and take a whole bunch of coils off.

8. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Just seems like the Ford parts are WAY cheaper and easier to get. I may try cutting coils first due to money being tight. Not sure but I think my coils are worn out too.... I am a confused man..

9. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Edsel Pacer and Ranger are built on the 57/58 Ford 500 chassis. The doors swap, windshield, side glass, quarter glass and rear window are all the same. Seats, seals and most mechanical parts are the same. The 361 is an animal all to it's self. Some of the FE parts swap over, tranny and drive shaft are the same, electrical is very different, especially with the TELETOUCH shifter.

10. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Was doing some research in a few of my catalogs and it looks like most of the bushing are different part numbers. Oh well, I'll just have to replace parts as I can afford it. How does the 361 differ? I was told but can't remember.

11. 58edselretractable

58edselretractable

Only thing differant is the sway bar, edsel has connecting links above the lower control arms whereas the ford sway bar fits under the lower control arms. the lower control arms are identical tho and will accept either sway bar.

12. edsel

edsel

I used all 1958 Ford fairlane suspension parts on my 1958 Edsel Ranger, never had an issue, I also cut 1 coil and swapped the spindles for 1972 torino spindles (disc brake) and it rides ok, but next trime I well follow this link
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260795 using Aerostar front coils.
    Enjoy your Edsel, there is getting to be more of all the time. cal

13. edsel

edsel

14. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Thanks! I actually just installed the aerostar coils and 2 inch blocks. Love the way it looks now! I think I need to cut the rubber stop though, feels like I am bottoming out or is it just a firm coil? I still need to slign the front but not too far off from stock.

15. 58_Ford

58_Ford
    from Phoenix

Does anyone know the torque specs for the 58 upper control arm bushings? My 58 manual says 35 ft/lbs- this does not seem right to me. Thanks for your time