Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bad Engine Moving Co.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TALANAR, Apr 30, 2013.

1. TALANAR

TALANAR

I recently had a engine moved by Performance Plus, they caused over $1,000.00 damage and then only offered me 71.00 (.10 per pound)because it was a used engine , they never offered me any insurance. Don't use them if you have anything of value

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

3. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Just for giggles I called them and asked if an engine I had shipped via them were damaged inside the truck, like if they put another pallet on top, would their insurance cover. He said absolutely, and on a $ 5000 engine the policy would only be $ 25. I kept running scenarios past him and each one was covered for damage.

Don

5. TALANAR

TALANAR

They also said mine was covered , 4 months later i was offered 71.00 , they will tell you what you want to hear over the phone

6. Fenders

Fenders

That's nuts, you should not have to pay for insurance, they should be insured.
    Email them a link to this thread, maybe they will smarten up.
    You could sue them in small claims court, it costs very little.
    Good luck.

7. TALANAR

TALANAR

Working on that now , it is hard when they are on the other side of the country , but time is on my side , got 5 years to getter done

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

The dime a pound or whatever is a basic insurance carried by all freight carriers.Probably a regulatory requirement.Most shippers offer actual replacement insurance for more money.
    OP,if the shipper has upgraded insurance offered on any paperwork you have,and you didn't buy it,you may be fucked. If not,you have a legit complaint if you can prove they bullshitted you on the phone...

9. TALANAR

TALANAR

ya i have nothing but a bill of lading from them , it was all handled over the phone

10. just curious what damage was done worth 1000 dollars on a used engine ?

11. TALANAR

TALANAR

49 mercury flathead , broke the fuel pump off , coil, distributor, generator, plugs and bent the oil tank and gen bracket.

12. wow, i dont even see how that could happen unless it was rolling around the truck . why did you accept it from the shipper the damage had to be visable when they droped it off

13. TALANAR

TALANAR

Yes it was rolling around in the truck , no pallet left just the banding straps that were used to secure it , i call the Performance Plus guys before i accepted it and they assured me that they would get me reinbursed to go ahead and sign for it but note the damage on the BOL

14. Jamoke

Jamoke

My Wife has been a claims Manager for a freight fowarder for 25 years .

Always ask your carrier if they will insure your used engines. All LTL carriers have limits of liability for both new and used merchandise. This is how they keep their rates low. Typically a LTL carriers' liability for used product is anywhere from .10 cents a lb to $1.00 a lb. depending on the contracts they hold with their customers. These limits are stated in their tariffs. It is possible that Performance Plus did not know that but they should have. If they use this carrier often they should do their homework. It is not something that carriers just come out and tell you about. You need to do your homework and ask the questions.

Anytime you are having something shipped to you and you are leaving the transportation in someone Else's hands you need to ask for insurance.

15. plan9

plan9

i have quite a few of those parts, drop me a line. ;)

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is the part that confuses me. When I called them today and told them I had an engine that I was thinking about sending from Florida to Michigan and I asked about coverage, they were very specific and told me common carrier insurance only pays a per pound rate, but if I purchased the policy there would be coverage in the amount we discussed.

You say they didn't offer you any insurance, but that is something that is very prominent on their site. Finally, this must have been a built flathead to have $1000.00 worth of damage from the list you mentioned. Those few items don't seem to add up to a grand to me.........if so, I have one sitting in my shop that is worth more than I thought. :rolleyes:

Don

17. TALANAR

TALANAR

thanks for everyones input

18. Jamoke

Jamoke

That really sucks ! keep hounding them

19. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Remember.....Performance Plus is just the broker....not the trucking company.And I know for a fact that they ask the value of the load.....or if you need insurance.BUT it is up to you to make sure your load is insured.....just like if you go to UPS/FedEx or the USPS.
    Sometimes we are a little blind when trying to keep shipping costs down and neglect the insurance. But fact is fact.

And how do I know all this.....I ship parts ,complete engines and Trans assembly's all over the world.......I do enough shipping that I'm using carriers direct now in order keep costs even lower for my customers. But I used Performance Plus for years prior and they have handled hundreds of shipments for us.
    I wouldn't hesitate to go back if the need arises.

Tony

20. TALANAR

TALANAR

Well Tony they never asked the value or offered the insurance , so i guess mark it down as lesson learned on my end

21. Performance Plus

Performance Plus

The team at Performance Plus strives to provide a high level of customer service satisfaction to our customers and works to handle all situations that should arise in a very professional manner. It is unfortunate that in this particular situation, the outcome was not as we would have hoped. We stress the importance of insuring products to our customers in the event that any damage to your products being shipped may occur by the chosen carrier. Any damage that may occur as the result of the carrier is the responsibility of the carrier only, as we are the service provider. Although the liability is that of the carrier, we as the service provider still do everything that we can to assist in initiating any damage claims that may occur and facilitate the process along the way. Our entire team continues to be strong, proactive advocates on proper packaging although in some situations our customers may not be the actual shipper or the one creating the packaging, hence resulting in less than professional or potential for damage that may arise. We appreciate the positive feedback that many of you have provided on this matter, and we will continue to work to educate our customers on the importance of proper packaging and potential to request for added insurance to all shipments of value.

22. alchemy

alchemy

Do you arrange shipment of items with no value?

You didn't tell us if the original poster bought insurance, like he thought he had, when he placed his order over the phone.

23. I'm not sure that they would know who TALANAR is, and I'm not sure that would release the details of the contract to the general public...

It's an unfortunate circumstance, but it seems like some facts are still missing on this story.

24. TALANAR

TALANAR

Show me i contract that i signed denying the insurance and i will let it rest, companies will always take the profit but when it comes time to settle a claim they act like they have no reasponsibility, i made an agreement with you not anybody else , in fact when i contacted the shipper as you suggested they would not even talk to me because they said the claim was not with me , i have been very patient with this whole thing , 120 days later you tell me there is nothing you can do , why would i deny insurance on a antique engine such as this it does not add up.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. 1959apache

1959apache

Did you cash the check? Some insurance money is like a contract (as I am sure you know) and by cashing it you accept the contract. Sounds like they are trying to screw you on this one. I am sorry to hear it and hope you can get your project back on track

27. metalman

metalman

Really? $1000 worth of damages? Didn't hurt the block or crank?
    Trying to make a profit off of insurance are we? If those parts are worth that much I'm a rich man, I have lots of that stuff lying around, most you don't reuse on a performnce rebuild anyway which is why I have it lying around (pack rat, can't throw anything away). Even the oil pan (tank?) isn't tough to come by, plenty of broken blocks with good pans.
    If you walked into my shop I'd give you those parts. We'll maybe not now that I know there worth $1000;).
    You never stated who paletted the motor, sounds like that's where the blame lies.

28. TALANAR

TALANAR

Well i bought it off a fellow HAMBer so i am not going to get upset with the way he packaged it , i have a picture of it in the shippers truck so obiously all the damage occurred while it was in their care , i look at it this way , i pour concrete for a living if i screw it up then it is my responsibility to make it right , at my expense not my customers, its got my business name on it and to me that means something, your only as good as the last job you completed, if PP would offer me my money back i would go on this thread and tell everyone that they made it right , until then ill keep letting everyone know what they did. thanks for everyones thoughts.

29. Truckedup

Truckedup

That's what goes on ... contractor to contractor......And shit does happen from time to time...And sometimes you just suck up any fix it even if you doubt it was your fault......But not everyone does this all the time for a variety of reasons...
    The shipper has spoken... like I said before,you are probably fucked for any more money...Fix the damage and move on..

30. $1000 might be a bit rich, but $71 is a slap in the face....probably shoulda been created better, but doesn't matter- once the shipping company accepts the frieght it ends up under their care and custody. My guess is that its up to a small claims to determine value of shipment..I had a fiberglass canoe shipped from canada once, cost me $250 to ship and $100 for customs... once it arrived it was busted ALL TO HELL!! Got the usual runaround from the shipper since they changed companys midway tru the shipping- a rather old trick to muddy responsibility, But the insurance did reimburse me for the value of the canoe,, BUT I had to ship back to canada,, and you guessed it- they charged me another $250 to return what they had destroyed!! Always have an attorney on speed dial when dealing with shippers