Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Drill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Curt B

Curt B

The drills at my work drag the guy in and wrap him around which ain't pretty when it happens. Invincible kids are that much more dangerous around machine tools:

http://youtu.be/0PzPfzLeDa0

2. InPrimer

InPrimer

My experience, get an old speaker magnet, place on top of the drill press and set the chuck on it ,out of the way and never gets lost. Harbor Freight, I know, I know, they have a foot controlled rheostat I plug my drill press into it allowing the foot to control on/off keeps the hands on the drill press and just in case, step away and the drill stops

3. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Had a friend in shop class in school, stood up on the work bench with one of those long wood drill bits to drill a hole with a big gear reduced drill and a shop apron on, before it stoped it rapped the apron and his levies and chewed up his leg . (The pony tail ,ah yes brings back all them good memories on the creeper, the last draw is when talking instead of paying attention and rolled up the window of the car ,turned to close the door :eek: that was the last draw it had to go)

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I don't even have any magnets around and every time I pick up a punch, calipers etc. they have a bunch of swarf stuck to 'em. But I guess on top of the drill press is out of the way enough.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I mentioned those stepped bits earlier, I sure have been using the crap out of those things. Is that cheating?

Anyway, the all time killer has got to be those one bit adjustable hole saws. Unless you're blessed with toothed hole saws of every size you'll probably need one sooner or later. Clamped between wood, clamped to the table, it's still gonna snag...

6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Worked as a machinist till retiring. Co-worker and I walked up to another guy to remind him about lunch time. He had a 3/4" taper drill bit in Cincinnati vertical milling machine. He hit rapid traverse,had the machine in wrong axis. The drill plunged down into the table and snapped off and flew between the 2 of us across the shop like a bullet. Another time my good friend was running his 36" swing heavy duty turret lathe on night shift.( the turret lathe has a splined shaft that runs all the time even when spindle was off, running spline shaft is angle height.) My friend stepped close to mic a size, caught his pant cuff and was sucking him in, tore his Levis clean off him. left standing in his underwear. Sounds hilarious until you realize that large heavy duty machines don't stall and have disabled people by chewing up arms and legs.

Ago

7. 31Atudor

31Atudor

Years ago we had access to a ton of #2 and #3 MT drills, but didn't have any way to use them in our low speed 1/2 in hand drill. My brother, who was a machinist apprentice at the time machined a #3 taper adapter to 1/2" on the back end. Then, with the adapter we could use all those big drills in our 1/2" drill. Great idea right? Wrong

I clamped a plate that needed a 2" hole in the bench vise and drilled a 1/2 in pilot. Then I put a stubby 2" drill in the adapter and started drilling. Well it takes some push to cut that much metal so my brother puts his hands over mine and we but shove .....and then the bit grabs ..... and the vise holds .... and my brother has his hand over my trigger finger ....and a geared 1/2 drill has a shit load of torque. But we stalled it just before it completed a half a revolution with us attached.

I still have that adapter and if I ever find anybody I really hate, I'm going to give it to them.