Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Taking Students to the Stray Kat 500 - what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I have recently been appointed the Art teacher at my little school here south of Muskogee, Oklahoma for the 6th through 8th grade classes.

There are many aspects of art that I have to touch upon, and given the opportunity of such an interesting 'car show' in such a nice, relaxed setting such as the Stray Kat in Dewey, I believe it would be an excellent opportunity to not only instruct my students about differing forms of art, symmetry, design, and how to critique differeing forms of art in general.

I'm looking at a maximum of around 35 kids if they all get to go, and would try to pull together as many chaperones as possible. These are all really good kids and *I* would greatly expect anyone who witnesses them acting like idiots to make sure they let me know.

I would also ask anyone there to take an opportunity to share, discuss, teach, enlighten, explain, and tell these kids whatever they can about their vehicles. I'm also planning to highly encourage the students to bring their cameras and cell phones with cameras to take pictures of as much as they possibly can.

I think this is an extremely great opportunity at a neat learning experience, and would love to expose my students to the idea of art in a neat arena such as this one.

I haven't officially gotten the okay from my boss, but I'm hopefully he'll let us go and pay our way to eat. If nothing else, hopefully he'll just hook me up with the bus to and from the show. Then all I gotta do is feed my students.

Please let me know what you think.

~Gozt

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That's a great idea...you didn't say what grade or how old...however, you must repeat and repeat to them again and again, so it goes into their heads "DO NOT TOUCH"...!!!

Look, admire, ask questions, shoot pix, but do not touch (unless invited to).

R-

3. If you dont get approval, which is probably likely in today's cautious society, at least YOU GO and take a ton of pictures and give a presentation to your classes .... show em how big the world really is.

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

The kids are in the 6th through 8th grades, and eager to go *IF* my boss will allow us to go.

There are explicit concepts the State Dept of Education wants them to learn. Of which and specifically the following:

Standard 4.1 - Demonstrate appropriate behavior while attending a visual art exhibition in a museum or art gallery.

Standard 4.2 - Demonstrate respect for personal artwork and the artwork of others.

Standard 4.3 - Demonstrate thoughtfulness and care in completion of artworks.

I figure this is an excellent way to teach them exactly how to behave and look at vehicles or art of any style in any location with the hands off method and look, but don't touch unless allowed. I figure this'd be ideal for all of us to enjoy.

5. Obviously you are talking about 12 to 15 year old's,,,it will be like herding cats!:D

If they are truly interested i think it's a great idea,,hopefully they all will find it interesting. HRP

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Yeah, these kids would be like that! I'm hoping to have a handful of chaperones who'd help me out and keep an eye on them. They are all pretty good kids and I've only got a few that I'd even consider worrying about.

My kids - almost all of them - are excited and hoping that the boss will allow this happen. They've got me excited about it as well - their response to the idea was overwhelming that they'd want to give up their Saturday for something school related!

7. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

If someone were to go into a line of work involving art/artistic abilities, and expect to earn an actual living, how better than with cars? If it makes a difference in at least one of 'em, it's well worth it. It would have been a big deal to me at that age. I was thinking, too, how it would be good to discuss how mundane things used to have more of an artistic design-show them little things like oval headed bumper bolts, welt tips, beehive oil filters, etc, etc, and explain how somebody had to sit down and draw it out. I never thought about that sorta stuff until I was an adult.

8. Awesome idea, I wish you luck.

9. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Good luck! Teach 'em about Winfield, Roth, Grabowski, and local legend Jeff Myers. I wish my art teacher in HS was cool.

10. we have taken 50+ students to our local world of wheels the past 2 years with no problems.its been a very positive trip both times. heres what we did.

11. indyjps

indyjps

If the boss shoots it down, let it be known where you'll be every 2 hours while you're at the show, if they chooseto come on their own, no harm/ liability from school standpoint. I agree take lots of pics, see if anyone local would want to come in for a talk to the class

12. dang ! lets try again.1. get cell phone numbers. 2. give students your number. 3. set boundries. 4. explain how to act respectful. 5. give short lesson before going to show about what they will see. 6. have students take pics of things they like ,then set up a slide show(after returning to school) and have students explain why they took this pic( the school admn. likes this stuff)

13. davidh73750

davidh73750

I think they will be more receptive than you think. Maybe get them pumped by showing a "in class movie" I suggest American Graffiti to show how the culture, lifestyle was.

14. inkstain27

inkstain27

There is usually a couple artist set up in Dewey selling stuff and a pinstriper or two putting down lines on cars. Maybe that will help sell it to your boss. Not only people using car as different medium, but seeing pin-striping in action is alway a sight to see.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. monc440

monc440

If you are new to the school you could probably get some added support from the American History teacher. The American automobile influenced more of American history than in any other country in the world. If you present a united approach to the administration that more than one of the faculty thinks it is a good idea you are more likely to get support for the field trip.

16. I teach Auto Body at our Local trade school, You my Friend are one brave soul, or your students are Much better than the 6th thru 8th graders we see touring our school. Keep in mind there is alot more to learn at a Car show than just "Art". I would suggest to touch on what it takes to set a show like this up, Vendors, exhibits and everything that goes with it, If I where closer I would chaperone your little adventure, my "boss" would think I'm the greatest for volunteering for that duty.

Good Luck,

Fenderless

17. monc440

monc440

I was in 8th grade in 1986 and we watched American Graffiti in American History class. In English class we also read the book "The outsiders" then watched that movie. We had to write reports on each of them and I think its the only time I ever got A's in both those classes. :D

I had already watched both movies (many times) before but I remember thinking I liked my teachers a little more because of it.

18. atomickustom

atomickustom

I think it is a great idea!

I have in-progress construction photos of my car if any of them are interested, and they are welcome to touch my '53 Chevy all they want (as long as I am THERE when they are doing it!). That's part of the reason I never put a nice paint job on my car - so I don't have to worry about people touching it.

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

forget the bus...load 'em all onto the back of your AA...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. mickeyc

mickeyc

This is the reason you are a Teacher! Few people would have the resolve to expose young people to alternative forms of art and or life in general.
    It would be very easy for you to just take a day and enjoy the event yourself. Managing this many young people would be daunting to me. However, I do not think it would be like "herding cats." I commend you for your efforts and would gladly help out if I was in your area. Someone in your school system recognised quality in your person and acted on it by appointing you the Art teacher, good on them!

21. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Bring them on. The mo4e people we can get interested in our sport the better. The more people the more ideas.

22. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Unfortunately, at this time, the bossman says he can't justify the trip. If I can swing it, I'll do my best to swing up there and see it all for myself, and view and check things out as well to bring things back.

I teach 5th-8th math, 6th-8th science, 8th history, and now 6th-8th art classes. I truly wear many hats in this little venue, and I absolutely love it here. I've had it rough these past few years, and these kids renewed my interest in the art of teaching.

A local buddy - Chadillac - is a pin-striper who I've tried to get into my classroom this year to maybe teach my students the art of striping - even if they just use fine line type markers to throw down their ideas on paper. However, Chad is extremely busy right now, so I can't get him in here this year. It sucks, but I think the idea of the kids learning something like that would be a great idea.

There is supposed to be a small car show in Midway, Oklahoma in the upcoming week or so, and I'm hoping to be able to tear the kids away to go and see it instead.

If there is a possibility for you all to come down this way, I'd hope to see you there. Also, if you know someone who'd be up for putting on a 'striping class' for my students, please get in touch with me. I'd love to have you here and demonstrating. I have some extremely large picture frames with clear glass that would be cool to show the kids how to lay out the lines from in front of them, all while they are able to watch without being over your shoulder.

Anyway, thanks again for all the sentiments. Hopefully, maybe next year.

23. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Even if you don't get an official OK from the boss, encourage the parents to meet with you and caravan the kids unofficially to the show. I bet a lot of the parents would enjoy as well. My mother was a science teacher and "took" her classes on a lot of unofficial science lesson excursions.

24. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Thanks for trying to get these kids away from video games and such.

They may not know there is a "whole 'nother world" going on around them.

If some kid comes around our hot rod shop, we answer ALL of their questions, no matter how stupid or basic it is.

I have a burden to teach what I know to someone who wants to learn and understand it, especially the kids!!

Take care, K

25. I applaud your effort. Like many others have suggested, perhaps you can get some of the kids and parents interested in heading up there, unofficially. Heck, offer extra credit for anyone who goes and gives you a powerpoint presentation of the experience!