Register now to get rid of these ads!

Williams Lowbuck Louver Press

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Apr 25, 2013.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently picked up Dave's Lowbuck Louver Press and I'm starting to think about what to make for a frame as well as long-term changes for actuation.

Any of you that have one, how do you like the setup? Anyone add a hydraulic assist or make any changes to help performance?

I had been thinking about machining my own louver dies and components for a long time, but have a more immediate need, so I sprung for Dave's setup.

Would love to hear some feedback as well as see some of your setups.

Thanks guys!
    S

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. belair

belair

I have one, but have not made the mounting fixture either, so I will be watching this. Sorry for the lack of help.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My pal Moe Miller bought the old louver press from Jerry (J&J Customs) in San Jose in 1978. This press frame was fabricated from 1/4" steel plate, in a large 'C' shape, looked like a huge micrometer standing on its spool.
    It was old when my Mom had Jerry punch the hood of her '48 Cadillac in 1955!
    The frame was about 40" deep from the C/L of the dies...Mom's hood was long, I remember them punching from the rear, then reversing the dies to continue the rows.
    That press 'punched' more hoods & trunk lids than any 10 that I can think of...
    Sid Owen told me Jerry louvered his '32 Roadster hood & side panels in 1952. (and he had to wait for 2 days behind the other louver jobs!)

Jerry had a sealed hydraulic tank, and an air pot that he controlled with a foot lever.
    They would hold the hood in position, then the foot lever would bring the ram down slowly, right above the work: then step down on the pedal, and 'BAM!'

When Moe got the machine, it was surface rusted all over, (it sat outside the old shop for 2 winters before he discovered it) the dies were dulled, but a tool and die maker friend repaired them.
    Hydraulic and air tanks, hoses, and pedal were there, but just aged beyond use.
    Funny how that happens...I remembered the machine as a shiny blue entity that would never get old!

Moe set it up 'temporarily' with a hydraulic bottle jack, it was pure misery to punch any more than 5 louvers at a time! I helped him do a '50 Merc hood with 160 louvers.
    Horrible.
    Moe lost interest in his Custom shop in '88, sold the press and all his cars...

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Where is the press now? Would love to see some pictures.

I have a nice hydraulic ram that I need a pump and tank for. I'm keeping this in mind for a later modification to the hand pull.

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Built this one about 30 years ago, might still have the BP's but the company is no longer around

Attached Files:

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The best recomendation I can give you is to build your frame much stouter than you think it should be! My frame on my press 3 1/2"X 3 1/2" 1/4" wall stuff, and you wouldn't belive how much flex it has as it works. I don't have an upper structure as the picture above shows, but make sure you add it. The only thing I worry about with the Williams unit is that I have run a mechanical press before long before I found mine and it will kick your ass doing a full hood worth of louvers. Obviuosly a longer handle makes for less work, but it also makes for MUCH less control in a one-man opperation. Figure out hydraulics for it, trust me.

8. 19-c

19-c

There is a gentleman on here he goes by the name "AULIZ" he built one that is killer with these same dies. I cant remember what thread the pics are on though

9. marioD

marioD

Built one exactly like that around the same time, bought the plans off Good Times Louvers in CA back then still use it every second day had my own dies machined over the years.

The frame flexes very much but comes back so i never had any problems
    all the time. Design is good.

A friend of mine Sir Michaels in Huntington Beach covered his press with
    1/4 inch plate long ago - still flexed so no major improvement.

If i had to build it again i'd do it the same way and i agree use electric hydraulics!

Mario

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, mine springs back after each hit, but damn does it move! Most people that I just casually "POP" a louver for damn near duck when it cuts!

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

An old friend of mine put this one together over 35 years ago, I acquired it after he passed. The frame is 3.25" solid plate, it has some handy swing out arms, to balance large awkward items. The hydraulics consist of a ram with a tag stamped "Republic Aircraft", and a cable controlled valve, that is foot operated. The pedal is easy to creep down the die, and "wham", just like the one Atwater Mike remembered, if it has any flex, I haven't noticed.

Attached Files:

12. marioD

marioD

What is the biggest louverdie you are punching?

Mario

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

3 1/2", but there is room for bigger if I ever get some made.

14. Best line I've read in weeks. That's so incredibly awesome.:)

15. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

16. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

Neatest one I ever saw was mounted to a wall and swung out to use it on a caster wheel. It had air over hydraulics and as I remember had no flex and was not hard to use.

17. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

We have one we use alot the problem with having one is you punch louvers in every thing.I made my frame from two by five tubing with eight wall thickness. Works great we have punched alot of eighteen gauge for various projects.Works best if you have to guys on to pull handle and one to Line up part.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone! Some great input here! Good to see that I wasn't the only person that needed something to punch louvers without spending $3000 on a louver press.

I was leaning very much towards the frame design that dreracecar posted and built out of 4x4x0.25 wall tubing. I was also thinking about lowering the lower horizontal bar so that I could punch louvers in a panel that would curve opposite of the norm. So a few extra inches of height on the lower die/receiver for a reverse curve, or whatever.

I've got a big ass Miller hydraulic cylinder that is probably way overkill for the project, but I have it and it was free and never been used. I'm guessing it would probably punch a hole in about anything once hooked up right. Was thinking of making the frame to support a lower "bed" of sorts, so it could double as a punch, when needed.

One thing for sure... whatever frame I build, I'm gonna' need to roll it around in my little work space to move it out of the way when not in use!

Keep the input coming! THANKS!

19. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I don't do a whole lot of Punching with my press, so manual is my choice. Now granted the 240 louver punches in the insert took a while to do, it wasn't exhausting by any means.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it sure as hell turned out great! Nice work! Always loved that car...

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BTTT for the weekend... Let's hear/see some more

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. HAAA! I agree with Bodi. I don't know what it is and whether you intended it or not, but there is just something utterly delightful about this sentence! It sure made me smile, man.

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uuu... bump for Monday? Frames and feedback on the Williams press?

24. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I've got a press with the exact frame design from another company. I dig it. It does flex though.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i've got this old bandsaw that i'm going to strip and sell the C frame. would that work for you?

Attached Files:

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually... I really want the whole SAW! I'll PM you...

27. Ted H

Ted H

Darn, Marty, that must have been made when steel only cost five cents a pound! Looks great.

Ted

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That saw looks exactly like the frame Kiwi Kev started with.

29. Now that is one kick ass cool band saw....I would take it in a heart beat.

30. chaddilac

chaddilac