Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

The bathtub clip tool arrived and i tested it out tonight, works great. Cleaned up some rear bumper mounting brackets that were picked up last summer at a swap meet. Tried out my $50 C/L sandblast cabinet after doing a little fix up on it.
    Yes the plan was to keep focused on the bathroom project but after all, once you toss on a layer of mud on the sheet rock it needs to cure so your done for the evening , right?

Attached Files:

2. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

went after the tail lights, they had some "very low budget seals" from the PO.
    should clean up fairly well, new seal came out good

Attached Files:

3. If you know any commercial roofing guys hit them up for rubber roof membrane drops or roll ends. It works great for tail and marker light seals and even as gaskets between metal parts like the head light bucket to fender gaskets you already did earlier.

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Keeping up on the trim and detailing as we weather a fairly large spring snow storm. Got my headlamp bezels, window seals and plug punch set delivered today.
    One of these days it will warm up and i can finish the paint, meantime I will keep getting things ready to bold on after in done.
    Was able to make all the seals needed for under $25 and still have ~70 % of the material left and now own a set of punches so I will be all set for the next project
    After straitening out the rear bezels, painting the buckets and cleaning everything up i an fairly happy with the look. Was able to get all of the goop of the lenses.
    Also like the way the head lamps will look with the Peterbuilt truck headlamp bezels.

Attached Files:

5. Looks good! Nice work.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

59nomad, looking good, nice job on the tail light bezel. Keep the pics coming.

7. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Looking good. Is the Peterbuilt headlamp bezels same size than original?

Hope it will warm up. Here it did little today. But still lots of snow on the ground.

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks
    Thanks, will post with pics at least weekly
    The Peterbilt bezels are a very good fit, i will take some measurements but are basically the same. The mounting screws are in a different location so i plan to add a second set of brackets. Plan is to replace all the hardware so the adjusters will function. The new bezels allow for adjustment with out removal.
    here is a link to where i got them, lots of others carry them
    http://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=BRCS/PROD/HDLITA/UP40982

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Made some progress on the wagon, specifically on making some seals.
    From a tip made by WD040 (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8740437#post8740437) and used Velcro to line the vertical channels on the rear window.
    The source was a strap, which yielded 6 feet for under $4 after trying to find just the soft part.
    Used some boards planed down to hold the material in place with clamps while the sealant cured.
    The seal for the tail lights was even less (looks like i could by some but for now resources are focused on "Musts")

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  10. 59brokewood

59brokewood

Looks great, lots of good tips to borrow on making the lens seals. The Peterbuilt headlight bezels look great.

11. The 59 Source

The 59 Source
    from PNW

Great job. Love the Peterbuilt bezels and all the money saving ideas. Wonder if Cody saw your Velcro idea? He was looking for that felt not long ago.
    Again, Great work and can't wait to see another Nomad on the road.

12. The 59 Source

The 59 Source
    from PNW

Now I see where you got it from. lol. Guess I should have clicked the link before posting.

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks, always looking for ways to use sometink that works and keeps the costs down
    Thanks
    yep, Cody's build is a wealth of information and ideas for 59 wagons everywhere.

I am in the home stretch on the bathroom remodel and by the weekend be back to working on the wagon a lot.
    hope to show some more progress next week.
    the goal is to be street legal by 6/21

14. R0l0

R0l0

this build is very inspiring for me!! keep up the exellent work bro..

15. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Man your beating me to it with all this stuff I still have to do , keep up the great work , I was fugaring that I would have to do something , but thanks for paving the way with the window channels and rubber gaskets that no one carries , I've been meaning to check out your thread lately but things have gotten to the point where I don't get a chance to get on much any more and to check out other people's posts , I can't wait to see your wagon back on the road .

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks

Thanks hope it helps, i have got a lot from your work.

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Time for a update; as noted a several weeks ago i was focused on a bathroom remodel. I'm down to one piece of trim needing a second coat of poly and then nail it back up and it is done. Then it is back to the wagon as my top project.
    Looks like the weather is now going to stay fairly warm so i can complete (for now) the paint and start to reassemble.
    Will plan to post pictures of the paint job in ~2 weeks.

Anyone know of a good thread with the step by step on installation of the rear fixed windows?
    the Nomad has the stainless trim all around, with "dumdum" into the track. The window id then pushed up against it with clips, not sure what to use between the SST and the rubber seal. also not sure what if any thing needs to be in the rubber seal as it goes around the glass. i suppose that it the same as a windshield of rear window? any help from those who have "been there' done that" would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  18. The project is looking good, great attention to detail. When I put the quarter glass in my Nomad I lubed up the new seals with soapy water and roped them into the hole without sealant, then went back after the soap dried up with a caulking gun tube of proffesional glass butyl I got at Safelite with a real small angled hole in the tip and forced the tip in between the seal and the glass and sealed all the way around the glass, and between the seal and body on the verticle ends. Couldn't get to the body side of the seal on the top and bottom but they don't leak (so far). Good luck, and thanks for sharing the build!

19. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Fan Attic
    so was the butyl in the flap and on the pit side where the rubber seals against the chrome trim?

20. Well, it's been so long I had to go look at the car. I sealed the rubber to the glass on the outside and the rubber to the body on the inside as well as I could before installing the retainers and garnish.

21. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just ran across this thread and spent the last hour reading through it. Great info and even better work. I bought a 60 Brookwood last Sept in Tacoma, WA and drove it back to Indy. Inline with 3 speed manual. Trip covered on another HAMB thread. It needed floor boards and a complete interior redo. CARS INC was a great source for interior. Just about have it all back together but have had major trouble finding lined channel for the tailgate. Tried as many aftermarket mfg's as I could find and lots of auto glass shops. Nobody knew of anyone reproducing the 7/8's channel or had any left from years ago. Was about to give up when I stopped by a shop last week and the owner (old enough to know what I needed) pulled out a catalogue from C.R. Laurance. They have rubber backed mohair reliner material, 2 5/8's inches wide. They wholesale only, but gave me the number of two retail shops. I had to order a 40 ft. roll and it should be here Monday. I should have 30 + ft left over if anyone is still looking. Not wanting to hyjack this great thread so PM me if you need some.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

59Nomad, just saw a HAMB classified add for 59 Nomad side trim. Don't know if you need any.

23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks for the heads up, I'm good on the side trim. i think R010 is still looking for a set to upgrade his wagon.

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Primed all the remaining loose parts last night and the wagon is new ready for the final coats of DP-60LF
    Then it will be a few coats of sand-able on the top two tone areas, followed by a finish coat of Snow-crest white.
    The bottom will stay in primer until i get some better sheet metal in several areas.
    I'll post some progress pictures later.

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Here is where the weekend ended, will sand the filler primer tonight if the plan holds.

Attached Files:

26. Exciting times! Thanks for sharing.

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking great!You are gonna be cruising soon!!

28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I hope you are right, it was nice to drive it out last weekend to leaf blow all the dust off
    Thanks, the time crunch of trying to be on the road by 6/21 is a bit of a stress but i am just trying to just do what is needed to to be done and if it is that is great (and if not, that is okay).
    Plan to second coat the sand-able primer tonight after finishing the wet sanding.

Attached Files:

29. The 59 Source

The 59 Source
    from PNW

Looking good man, I wish I was doing that to mine right now.

30. Looking good!! I've enjoyed your thread and progress! Can't wait to get home and get started on mine!