Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 to 54 Pontiac radiator help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leroy 701, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

I need a radiator for my 49 Silver Streak and am having a hard time locating a supplier. Anyone have a good lead for me? I tried an online radiator supplier that sent me to a place in Minnesota, they wanted $450 and said it would take 8 to 12 weeks to build :confused:
    Thanks for any help

2. Your poncho is basically the same as a chevy, try the filling station Chevys of the 40's or any other supplier

Do you have the rad from Thd car ?
    If do could you not get it recorded and repaired locally ?

3. Luke4554

Luke4554

or pontiacparts.net maybe? or like Vanden said .. go with a chevy/olds maybe? .. as long as its similar in size the cooling efficiency should be basically the same and for the similar years the chevy/olds should be the same basic shape/size too.

Luke

4. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

Thanks, I will look at that pontiac site, the radiator is different from Chevy from what I can tell. It has an additional heater hose port at the bottom of the radiator for the second heater core. I'm not sure if Olds will be the same. The local radiator shop says they have to order a new core and put my tanks and brackets on it, they want $600 for that...seems very high to say the least

5. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

No luck with that pontiac site, it's proving to be a difficult piece to find.
    any other suggestions anyone?

6. Luke4554

Luke4554

7. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

Keep us posted with what you find. I don't even have a core to start with on mine.

8. pontiac

pontiac

I haven't seen or ever heard of any place reproducing the "Pontiac" radiator as of yet. I have seen NOS or used ones show up from time to time here or on ebay and craigslist, but that's about it.

If you're looking for one with the exact dimensions then you may have to keep an eye out for a good used one, recore your old one or have one of those custom aluminum ones made. The quote of $450 doesn't sound too bad for what you'd be getting considering the last quote I got a few years ago was almost $700 from a place in Michigan.

9. Luke4554

Luke4554

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Do you have the original , or is it missing entirely ? If you have the original, maybe a good local radiator shop can recore it for you.

4TTRUK

11. I have one from an early 50's Pontiac. The inlet on a Chev is 1.25" and the inlet on a Pontiac is 1.5".

My Pontiac rad's top tank need some work but if someone wants it, it's free if you cover the ride.

Just PM me, it's just sitting under my workbench.

James

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

Thank you for the offer James, very cool.
    After quite a bit of searching I decided to have mine recored. I used a different radiator shop that seemed like they really were interested in working on old stuff. The core came out of Colorado and is a modern 3 row setup which will be more efficient. They said the tanks looked really good so at least I know I'll be in good shape there.
    Thanks to all who contributed to this question.

13. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

For others reading this thread looking for radiator options. A radiator designed to fit a 47-54 Chevy truck fit perfectly into my 51 Chieftain with just some minor bracket fab. The stock Pontiac radiators are considerably longer (or taller) than the chevy car radiators of the same years. The radiator I bought wasn't anything special or expensive either. It's an aluminum 3-row "Champion" from some online radiator place through eBay. It has a machined neck, a built in trans cooler, and pre-punched holes for mounting. Even the petcock drain in the front of the radiator lined up with the factory relief in the core supoprt. If you have the straight 8 still you may have to look harder for a radiator hose that matches the inlets and outlets but I didn't have any trouble with mine since it's a V8.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  14. mob53

mob53

Thanks TudorJeff, that's what I'll be going with soon.

15. dmikulec

dmikulec

I'm glad mine came with the original radiator now.

16. 2595905

I have a left over radiator from my old 49 Pontiac w str8. I was cleaned pressure tested and repaired. and painted . $250 del xtra or p/u in L.A
    1818 321 8226

17. ACinSD

ACinSD

I'm not certain on the difference between a Chevy and Pontiac for '49, however I have a '49 Chevy radiator available if needed. PM me and we can work out a deal. It has a brass top and is setup for an automatic.

18. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

Thanks for the response. I already have my radiator troubles dealt with. I had the original recored. Thanks

19. Slicknickhaas

Slicknickhaas

7 years later, don't suppose you still have it?

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have one in my '52 DeSoto wagon too. I had to modify the bottom of the collar (or core support) to let it slip an inch further down, but it was a nice fit otherwise. It's one of the inexpensive, off-shore built aluminum ones, but I don't care, it's not an original car anyway. I'll leave it raw, but if you wanted a black one just rattle can one black.