Register now to get rid of these ads!

i need help. how do i get a stuck brake drum off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ozzies 57, Apr 27, 2013.

1. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

I bought a 45 ford. The drivers brake drum in the rear is locked up. I winched it onto a trailer and the wheel wouldn't break loose at all. I already tried the hammer the crap out of it method and prying off the backing plate. There has to be a better way to get a stuck brake drum off. Plese help.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Did you loosen the shoe tension on the inside? Then... BFH.

3. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

I tried to it is stuck too!

4. roughneck424

roughneck424

Yep

You've tried the usual steps to remove the drum with no success. Now it's time to get serious. Heat the surface around the hub and lug holes with a torch, one of those propane jobs for sweating pipes works well. You need to get it hot, not red hot, but close. Once it's hot, smack it with a hammer,

5. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

I ran into this with a 46. It got serious. Heat didnt work. Had an old drum puller that didnt work. Had to cut the drum and hub off.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Avoid using the hmmer, unless you don't care about saving the drum. You can break it or chip a nice big piece off the edge. It's always best if you can adjust the tension off, but if you can't, first grind the heads off the pins that secure the shoes to the backing plate. (back side) Then use 2 or 3 wedges of some sort...big screwdrivers, small crowbars, etc. With the pins out, the shoes will pull away from the backing plate and probably come off with the drum.

7. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

I'll try the heat first. I got propane one. And a BFHammer. Any other tricks are welcomed.

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

You need one of these.

Attached Files:

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shoes won't actually come off, but will pivot away from the backing plate and allow the drum to come off. Pull on the crowbar that's near the middle of one shoe.

10. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

What exactly is this? CTJ

11. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

how exactly did you hit it with a hammer? the best method i found was to hit it directly on top and on the sides. don't try to hit it from the back and push it out

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  13. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

I had the same problem on my 42 Ford. I used a small 3 jaw gear puller. It worked just fine. Tighten it up good, hit the end of the puller with a hammer and it popped right off.

14. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Heating,prying,hitting with a bfh,pullers, grinding the heads off the anchor pins almost always work. I had a slightly OT car that the rear brakes were so froze/rusted up none of those things worked and I had to cut the drums off with an angle grinder.

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

One time I was trying to pull a drum off a 54 Cadillac.
    I thought it was stuck, tried everything to get it off....

Turns out the parking brake was engaged... so.. check that first haha :)

16. You are aware that the Hub and Drum are on piece so in order for the drum to come off you need the Axle Nut off and to brake the taper lock of the Axle to Hub at the same time. Just thought I'd put that out there just in case.
    The Wizzard

17. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep you need to pull the hub and the drum will come with it. Do NOT pull on the OD of the drum as all that will do is ruin the drum and it still won't be off. Do a search as there are many threads on here dealing with the correct way to remove the hub/drum assy.

18. Find someone in your area in the early V8 club with a puller,and put the nut on backwards so not to ruin the axel threads.Might use heat also.

19. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Use that puller...it'll come right off. It catches the groove on the hub snout,.. DON'T use the kind that pulls on the lug studs,...the drom will bend, and the hub remains stuck.

KRW still sells a repop of the Ford dealer shop item....well worth buyin one.

4TTRUK

20. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

If you have a an air chisel with a hammer head that might generate more vibrations to break any internal rust bonds than a BFH. Best you can do with a BFH and a normal arm is probably a couple of minutes worth hammer blow vibrations.

21. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Gee ya telling me I've been doing it wrong for the last 50 years pulling hubs/drums with a stud attached puller ??? Must have pulled a couple of hundred and ain't bent a drum yet. Ya do need the puller made to do it that way though.

22. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

What is taper lock? I did realize you have to take the nut off thank god.

UOTE=Pist-n-Broke;8858728]You are aware that the Hub and Drum are on piece so in order for the drum to come off you need the Axle Nut off and to brake the taper lock of the Axle to Hub at the same time. Just thought I'd put that out there just in case.
    The Wizzard[/QUOTE]

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

24. Correct info above as Engine Man says. The Axle to hub is a machined tapper like a Ball Joint or a Tie Rod only it's about 3" long with a Key Way. You can't just take the Nut off and take the B.F.H. to it. You need a correct puller as you have read. In fact you may not have a Brake Shoe issue at all. You could have a problem in the Differental preventing the Axle/Drum from turning at all.
    The Wizzard

25. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

My puller is a small 2 ton effort Matco puller. Like one of the above posts said, it just reaches the back of the snout on the hub, I think maybe 3 inch reach. And I didnt have to put a lot of effort on it. Just tightened it up tight and hit it with a decent size ball pien hammer, and the drum/hub assembly popped free. And yes I beat the crap out of it first before I did the research to find out its a taper fitted assembly.

26. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

John Evans,...you definitely lucked out, bu using a stud attatched puller.... We did that also, bent a cpl of drums, as well as succeeding in removing others. That was in the late 50's,...when replacement drums were available everywhere.

4TTRUK

27. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Agreed! I spent hours and hours fighting a drum that had rusted to the brake linings and it wouldn't budge. JeffreyJames turned me onto this little gem so I bit the bullet and ordered one.

Let's just say, my hammer is officially and definitely retired from all future "drum-bashing."

29. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

I've had the center of the drum rust right to the axle before. Cleaned all the rust off the axle and I was able to get the drum off.

30. InPrimer

InPrimer

A "trick" I learned a long time ago, there is no sense using a steel hammer to persuade something to come off, on the other hand I got a 8 lb Brass hammer that fits the bill