Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 post lifts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodwelder, Apr 27, 2013.

1. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

Who makes the best 4 post lift that is around $2500.00 range? I'm looking at buying one for my pops (he's 75yrs old) and he cant get around like he used to.

Anyone? Good, bad or otherwise......

2. FatFndr

FatFndr

Bend Pak makes a good one. I have a HD9 ST, you don't need a 9 ton lift just to work on cars, a 7 ton will do just fine. Also, you don't need the rollers (sometimes an option) to move it around, once you get it set it's bolted to the floor, chances are very good you won't be moving it anymore and you'll be storing a couple hundred pounds of steel. Drip trays are a good idea but the one's I saw were plastic and not worth the price ($125.00 for 3). I went to Wal-Mart, bought some large metal drip trays for $10.00 each and made simple brackets to hold them. Good luck.

3. oldolds

oldolds

4. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have one made by direct lift, slow on 110v but works fine, later models now have the same style locks as the backyard buddy that enclose the locking pawl. I would say get a backyard buddy but I dont think $2500 will buy one. I look for used direct lifts, normally find them for around $1000-$1500 with little or no use. Normally it seems people use them more for storage than work.

5. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I have 4 Bend Pak lifts. They are the best.

6. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

@ FATFNDR, I need the heavier cap for his pickup, F-250 4x4, weighs 7900#. This way he can change his oil etc... easier.
    Thanks for all the input, i like the wal-mart pan idea.

7. I have a Bendpak 9k as well, wanted a HD one to actually work on cars, not just park on it. Very happy with it. It was $2950, well worth it to me. Beware of the super cheap no name ones.....you get what you pay for.
    Check over on Garage Journal, they have a million lift threads going....

8. Weasel

Weasel

We have USA made lifts which were around $2250 plus everything extra - I think they are private labelled Gemini when they were still USA made. They are flimsy in their construction when compared to Rotary or Revolution (hobbyist version), which were acquired later. There is just no comparison between the two. The Revolution are seriously good lifts but a little more than you might want to spend ($3238) however this includes the ramps, the caster kit, the sliding jack tray and three drip pans. Make sure you compare apples to apples when pricing these things out. As always you gets what you pays for. You may want to consider an XL lift as they have much more clearance - I constantly hit my head on the standard 69" max lifts but on my Revolution I can walk underneath with 80" of clearance and the drive thru width is 97". ALI certification is something that anybody buying a lift should take into consideration. I would absolutely go the extra mile and beg steal or borrow the money to buy the Revolution lift....

www.revolutionlift.com/RFP9-9000-Pound-Capacity-Four-Post-Lift-P2C4.aspx

[​IMG]

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I have a Bendpak four post lift. You may be able to find a used one for your budget. They are definitely quality units. A main reason I like them is that they are made in the USA.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  10. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I have a Bendpak 9K and am very satisfied. I did purchase the extra long ramps to acommodate my lowered cars. I also purchased the air operated hydraulic jack and sure makes life alot simpler, no blocks and bottle jacks.

11. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Call Greg Smith bought my Direct Lift 8000 lbs for $2100 shipped best value out there I used to sell lifts for a living and know something about them

12. von zipper

von zipper

Do a search over on The Garage Journal! I think they're big on Bendpak. I hope I can get one one day!

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have a direct lift and it has been great for what I paid for it. I would recommend one.

14. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

There is a guy in Brimfield Ohio, His business is "Portage Lifts"... I have picked up there, and the company I work for has many of his lifts on our docks, being shipped. A guy I know bought a 2 post, and lifts his 3/4 ton truck with no issue's..... I think he had $2000 in with many extra's

Danmar 7000 or 7000x also Kernel FP8k-DS

http://portagelift.com/

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i hope my sons read this...

16. JEM

JEM

I have a Bend-Pak HD9ST also.

Thoughts:

a) Ceiling height matters.

b) Setup means four guys (or girls) who can lift 100lb or so.

c) The steel ramps droop too far, seemingly, to let anything but an S2000 or Sunbeam Tiger underneath, even with the lift all the way up; the removable aluminum ramps are a necessity at least in a home-garage installation.

d) You need air (for the latch-release) and 220 (or 110 if you order with the slower 110V option) near the pump.

e) With the standard width the latch housings on either side of the crossbeams constrain how wide a vehicle will fit, you might otherwise be able to hang an inch or so of the tire off the edge of the ramp but the latch housings won't permit it. A Honda Odyssey minivan will get stuck, if you need a yardstick to evaluate your vehicles against - I can't imagine that any vehicle that'd come close to the 9000lb rating would actually fit width-wise. You can cut up some lumber and make taller ramps that will allow you to drive OVER the latch housings if you only need another couple inches and your vehicle will otherwise fit between the posts...and they'll sell you a wider version if you have room for it.

f) Those aforementioned latch housings will tear up your rim and/or tire if you drive in to one while putting a vehicle on the lift. Invest in some 1/4in plywood or plastic to stick in there to protect your wheels if you can't be really careful.

g) Roller-jack tray a VERY worthwhile option but requires approx 4.5in ground clearance under vehicle.

A four-post is a good answer if you need to compromise between service and parking, but I'd really like to have a two-post too. I've kinda got room behind the garage if I ever found a good used one, and when we did our remodel I had all the driveway and garage-area flatwork done 6in thick 3000psi concrete, but first I'd need a bunch of tall Italian cypress to screen the fence line and not scare the neighbors.

17. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I have a Direct 4 post, works great, i bought it for the max lifting height and for the price. It came with the caster kit which was nice. its nice to be able to move it around if needed. assembled it by myself too wasnt too bad..

Attached Files:

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Another vote for BendPak. I have their HD9STX 4-post lift and love it. All in I think I paid $3200 including professional installation. I'm thinking of getting another, to fit another car in the garage. :)

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I bought one from the above about 4 yrs ago..Rated for 8k..Nice features for leveling, uses hanging ladder latch with safty secondary latchs and comes in several widths, lengths, heights..Assembled well, did it by myself in a day, the manual sorta needs a little interpulation. Only thing wrong was the castor bearings were a joke...Just about 2k$ delivered to my house..Make the ceiling 14ft...

20. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

My first lift at my home shop was an autolifters four post which I purchased about 1994. About 3 years ago I bought a two post Bendpak asymetrical which has been great.
    I recently sold the autolifters four post and have been researching. The Bendpak HD9 seems to be a very decent lift at a fair price. I am about to pull the trigger.
    I searched the internet and have not found any worthwhile complaints about bendpak. An acquaintance who sells and services lifts keeps knocking them. When I asked his recommendation, he said Quality Lifts, it was 2k more and not even made in the US, its another Chinese lift.
    Gonna go for the bendpak

21. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I have a Bendpak HD9.......noooo problems in 3 years

22. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

​I have a just installed (2 months ago) a 7000lb from gsmith.com picked it up in the morning was using it by that evening. A buddy and I put it together no problem and with a 10'cieling height it works fine. They also offer others with different height and weight dimensions.

23. crazydays

crazydays

This is just a FYI but stay away from Complete Hydraulics Sales and Service in Franklin, IN (currently they have 85 BBB complaints) Got ripped off by them on a couple motorcycle lifts(but they sell car lifts too), thankfully my CC company took care of me. Whoever you decide to go with please do a BBB search and also a search with the states Attorney General.

After my ordeal I have learned my lesson on doing research. I don't see how that crook is still in business!