Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 volt conversion effecting 6 volt horn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot snot, Apr 12, 2013.

1. hot snot

hot snot

After reading all the posts dealing with 12 volt conversions, I don't see anything regarding the effects it mayl have on a 6 volt horn. I plan on using a 1940 6 volt (originally positive ground) horn. The new battery will be 12 volt, negative ground. There looks to be a lot of delicate stuff inside the horn workings and I don't want to burn anything up. Do I need to put in a resistor someplace or just hook up the 12 volts and let'er fly? Thanks

2. The horns really don't care if it's activated by a 6 or 12 volt system,,may be a little higher pitch. HRP

3. Also if it was positive ground it will now suck instead of blow.

4. i have never had a problem with a 6v horn after a 12v conversion. Maybe if you hold the button down for a few minutes straight you might have a problem .....

usually they are just LOUDER

seb fontana likes this.

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

As long as you don't use your horn as a weapon, it will work fine. The six volt horns on my '55 chebby give a manly toot on twelve volts.

6. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Mine didn't work before I did the swap but did (albeit weak) afterward. They finally gave up the ghost after a few weeks and I put newer 12V units in. I don't think the conversion had anything to do with them failing, I think they were just old and tired.

7. 54rat210

54rat210

:d :d

8. a 6v ooo-gah horn on 12v is just plain nasty. I found one at an estate sale in a box marked "FREE STUFF", so it went on the Willys. Sounds terrible. I have made people jump from half a block away.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't care who you are, that there is funny ! :D

Don

jimmy six likes this.
  10. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:DDoes your horn work off of a (horn) relay ?:eek:

jimmy six likes this.
  11. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

The only thing that may happen is you'll get the finger from some one because it'll be loud.

12. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Been using the same stock 6v horn on 12v on my 38 chevy since i bought it in 1974. Still loud and obnoxious. Been using the stock 6v dual horns on my 50 chevy SD for 5 years now. Had one that wouldnt work at first till I dropped it a few times to loosen up the vibrator. Been working fine since.

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

It will be FREAKIN LOUD!
    But thats a good thing with all the idiot drivers out there.

I had my 51 Pontiac horns (6V) hooked up to 12V and it was like a train horn.

jimmy six likes this.
  14. castirondude

castirondude

I bought one off ebay for my '28 where a guy had adapted a modern 12v fan motor, pretty nifty. In the meanwhile if the original one works then use it. Maybe you could open it up and swap the wiring somehow to make it negative ground.

Y'all make me want to hook up my 12v horn to 24v ! Lol

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've hooked up dozens of 6v horns to 12v. Like has been said it will sound like it's on steroids.

Frank

16. My wife likes to honk the car horn a lot, like if the person in front of her doesn't pull away from a traffic light or stop sign as quickly as she would like. As a practical joke, I disconnected the stock horns on the Ford Focus she had and wired up a 6V ah-OO-gah horn. She was not amused.

caseywheels, x15builder and jebbesen like this.
  17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

It's sounds great, just don't hold it a real long time and your good.

18. LostHope

LostHope

my 6 volt 54 ford horns sounds like a freight train on the 12 volt system...I love it!

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Use 'em as-is. If you have a horn relay, use that as-is too. The horn will draw twice the current and the 12V horn relays are wimpier than the 6V relays because they draw half the current. The 12V horn relays will often stick on, leaving you with a stuck (very loud) horn until you can pop the hood and beat on the relay or pull the wire(s) off!

They will be louder and angrier sounding on 12V. I prefer the trumpet horns, but even the snail horns will get your attention right now on 12v

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Want some really loud horns, snag a pair from a late 40s Chrysler. Trumpets that have a town/country setting switch in the car.

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

I like the 6v trumpets run on 12v

22. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Now that is good stuff to know!!!

23. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Could run 2 sixes in series on 12 volts and each would see ~ 6 volts.

jimmy six likes this.
  24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You can indeed. However, in most cases, you'd have to isolate one of them as they use their own case for ground. Not a huge obstacle, but can be a bit tricky depending on the mounting.

That said, they sound so 'angry' on 12V, they're more useful. ;) :D

25. plastectwo

plastectwo

use an old heater resistor switch to adjust horn tone

lippy and old.hot.rodder like this.
  26. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Iv used the stock 6v horns on my 51 chev with 12v for 2 years, havnt had a problem they are louder like everyone said but its a good thing if you ask me

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. my horn got ALOT louder when i converted,and it has saved me from a few accidents from those people who look at you and then try to pull right in front of you.

28. Bornlate58

Bornlate58

If you have two horns, which most do, just wire them in series instead of parallel and they will each see 6v. The only down side if one fails, the other won't work either.

29. BJR

BJR

Has anyone actually tried wiring two 6 volt horns in series? I wonder if it will work, as the first horn is making and braking the current going to the 2nd horn with the points inside the horn.

30. Wait a minute...... wait a minute.
    So you're saying I can UPGRADE by simply removing my 12V horn and replacing it with a 6V swap meet find??
    That right there is Hot Rodding. Know what I mean, Vern? :D :p

jimmy six likes this.