Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn: Northwest HAMB'rs Gene Winfield metal fabrication classes!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rancid737, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. rancid737

rancid737

Wow. What a day! Ready for round 2 tomorrow!!!

3. Awesome time today, can't wait for round 2!!

4. Thanks again to Tom, Gene and Glenn Vaughn for putting this on! Seems almost surreal that we just spent a weekend with Gene Winfield! Man, that guy has so much talent!!!

5. that buzz last for weeks...Hope I can make it out to another one of his classes sometime in the future.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Looks like everyone had fun this weekend:D:D

Does anyone know if " Vaughn Restorations '' is/was connected to " Hill & Vaughn '' a major player of a restoration shop of sportscar, classic & antique automobiles, here in SoCal in the 70s, once coowned by racecar driver Phill Hill?

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

7. There was a small framed sign on the wall that said "Hill and Vaughn has moved to santa monica"?

8. Yes it is. The Vaughns to moved to Id. I think around 1990.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, Glen is the same Vaughn who was a partner in Hill and Vaughn restorations and has been considered the go to guy for Packard restorations for many years.

It was great to attend the class in a shop that turns out world class work and it was very interesting to see that the majority of their equipment was either high quality older equipment like the shear and small bead roller or had been built by people in the shop. Stands for equipment had been built as needed rather than bought. Most all small equipment was on stands rather than on a bench too.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gene spent some time at the board showing and telling us how to do things. The discussion on chopping tops will get put to use on my truck fairly soon.
    URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr48chev/media/Gene%20Winfield%20Custom%20metal%20work%20class%20%20Post%20Falls/IMG_3385.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

A metal shaping tool made out of the bottom of the same junk oxygen tank that became the base for the work station.
    [​IMG]

T anvils that were made during the Friday night barbecue
    [​IMG]

Rinning our fingers over an area after Gene showed us how to take high spots from oil canning out.
    [​IMG]

Gene welding up a hole in the middle of a door (after he drilled the hole)
    [​IMG]

That weld
    [​IMG]

Tinning the door for lead work
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Applying the lead.
    [​IMG]

How to move it around
    [​IMG]

Chris moving the lead around with the paddle
    [​IMG]

Glen Vaughn, Gene and Tom
    [​IMG]

I gotta learn how to smile for the camera.
    [​IMG]

Again the rest of the photos are here:
    http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr...om metal work class Post Falls?sort=2&page=1

11. rancid737

rancid737

Finally got time to post a thank you to all of you that attended. It was an honor to have you all there to share this amazing experience. Looking forward to doing it again next year. Lets chop a top!

12. Yes it was a great time, Im down for chopping a top!

Justin

13. dubcee

dubcee

Banannanna BAT MAN! This stands up right next to Bonneville in my book! Great time. thanks to GVR, Tom and the crew, and all that attended, And most of all Gene Winfield! One of the greatest weekends of my life! Skates and shorts! Rock on ID!

14. I have a 41 convertible we can do :D