Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door glass channel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fnla39, Apr 27, 2013.

1. fnla39

fnla39

I just put the door glass back in my 52 Chevy truck and its real tight. Almost to the point that something is going to break when I roll the window down and I have to push on the glass to get it completely down. Anyone come up against this before? I have done it with all the fasteners snugged up and with them lose. No real difference. I notice the glass wants to tilt back when it's going down. I'm thinking if I roll it up and leave it a day or two it will expand the new channel to fit the new glass but what do you experienced folks think?

2. There is different thicknesses of window channel but that's probably not your problem,,most of them are pretty tight when new.

I have heard of using a little silicone spray to help things work smoother. HRP

3. What kind of shape are your regulators in? Do the rollers that go in the frame that holds the glass look good, and move freely? You may find some help in the A.D. truck group on here. Also, the Stovebolt forum has some good tech info. They shouldn't be that hard to roll up and down. Good luck.

4. fnla39

fnla39

I tried a little of the silicone spray. Helped quite a bit, just wonder if I will have to apply it occasionally or if it will affect the seal in the long run. Time will tell on that one. The rollers are in good shape and regulators are freshly greased and work great.

5. second_floor_loft

second_floor_loft

don't know id this applies to you or not, but in mine, when i re-assembled the door with new channel etc, the windows were very difficult to raise or lower. Careful attention to adjusting the regulator position cured the problem. It was slow going, but it sure made things better...YMMV

6. chubbie

chubbie

I had the same problem today. so i started looking the doors over and they were different. the door frame was bent in on the problem window. ended up with a BFH and reshaped the problem area, lucky never cracked /chipped the new paint. moved it 3/16"! now the window works great.

7. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Don't use silicone spray, they constantly need re-spraying all the time.

Try skateboard lube [graphite] it works great.
    Also great on locks

8. Cruiser

Cruiser

On tight channeling, I'll use a little graphite in the channels helps a lot. Make sure all the mechanism is clean and put some white grease in the working parts.

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i forget which chevy truck it is, but i believe yours is supposed to have the wider of the channel, like around 1/2". i use it when i build the hardtop frames for a car which are thicker..

10. fnla39

fnla39

I let it set alnight to see if that would help. If not I'll try the graphite to day.