Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest I want to read about Hamb Andy - Links please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rickybop, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi guys.

When I first joined the Hamb, I was unaware of Hamb Andy and all that the Hamb and others had done and were doing for the young man. But in time, (too much time, actually) I got the jist of the situation, and it became apparent to me that this was one of the most selfless and worthwhile endeavors that the Hamb had ever taken on. I've gathered that some of you went so far as to build a Model A hot rod for him. Many many kudos to you guys for that...absolutely awesome. I'm proud of everybody who was involved, and honored to even be associated with such good people. I'm regretful that I wasn't involved and able to contribute.

I'd like to read more about it. I've searched, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot, other than some of the related threads about the dash and some of the fund-raising efforts. I did find the post that his dad (Dunnie) shared about his passing.

Can you guys provide some links? I'm especially interested in any threads and/or pictures to do with Andy being presented his car. Was he a Hamber? Did he post? If so, please share his screen name so I can read some of what he had to say. I'll have some tissues ready. I know I'll need 'em...:eek:

Thanks very much.

P.S. - I've gotta log off for a while...I've got some stuff to get done. But I'll be back this evening.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Ricky....his " handle ". Was .....hambandy .
    Lots of threads...I just did a quick search...
    Dave

3. k-member

k-member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Heres a link to Andys photobucket for pictures of the build.
    I linked to page 15 and you can work your way back from there in sequence to the newest pics on page 1.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/Hambandy/library/?sort=3&page=15

Heres a link to Fitzees Youtube with some short videos that we made during the buildup and also the unloading of the A to make a run to Andys debut of the car at the Carbonear car show.
    He drove it himself (with his Dad of course!) a mile or two to the show and the next morning drove it for perhaps an hour or more during the breakfast cruise all around Carbonear!

http://www.youtube.com/user/fitzee23t?feature=watch

Heres a copy of a local newspaper article as well...linked from the "Tbucketeers" site.

http://www.tbucketeers.com/threads/hambandy.8173/

Odd that this post came up today. I was having an Andy moment myself last night and checked out some pics and vids etc.
    I really miss all his enthusiasm...he was a great kid and a true inspiration.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wow. That brings back some great memories.

7. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Thanks for posting the links guys..

8. I think most of us that were fortunate to be members here during Andy's short life he made a profound impression on us.

He was such a upbeat kid even when he was facing the grim reaper squarely in the eye.

His enthusiasm was infectious, and when he passed away we all lost a little brother. HRP

[​IMG]

9. My screen is a little blurry, looking at these old threads and pictures. The HAMB, will never be the same without that courageous young hot rodder.

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

Truly strange. I did precisely the same thing yesterday (looked through those threads). Must have been something in the water that we both drank yesterday ... :)

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just came back in the house and had to take a look to see who might've posted. Awesome guys. Thanks so much. At least I and others can experience the heart-warming memories second hand. Thank you to all those who took the time to record it all too.

Dave, thanks for his handle. That'll help. I was spelling it Hamb Andy. I should've known to try HAMBANDY.

k-member, sodbuster, (Chris) thanks a lot for the links you provided.

Hackerbilt, (Bill) a special thanks to you for all those great links.

HRP, thanks for the picture, buddy.

I took a look at a couple of the videos, threads, and that newspaper article. Instant tears...really. But also smiles. My wife would call 'em "happy tears"...lol. Gotta say...any and all who were involved with making Andy's short time with us as fulfilling for him as it was, surely made points in heaven. Bless you all.

I'll take time to look at all of it eventually. I surely didn't know that he was from Newfoundland. The 2dr looks and sounds great! The guys who built it did a wonderful job of building Andy a traditional hot rod...flathead and all! I gathered from the newspaper article that folks from all over the world contributed to the cause. So very cool.

Anybody else who'd like to add links or pics or stories or comments, please do.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whew...you aint kiddin' 29bowtie. And you're right...the Hamb will never be the same...I think it's better for it. In a way, I think that maybe Andy did more for us collectively than the Hamb did for him. Obviously, he's still affecting us in a positive way. I guess it's just proof that it's better to give than to receive.

Lol. I'll have some more of that water, Ed. Or whatever it was.

13. A big day in Andy's life,,we were all stoked! :)

[​IMG]

And such a infectious smile, HRP

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...just look at that big smile...lol.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, I have to give credit to pitman for inadvertantly promping me to start this thread. I was catching up on the thread "Good guy sound like he needs helps!" about Thomas Weller...the man who helps people on the freeways of SanDiago. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709943&highlight=good+guy+helps
    I was checking to see if there were any new developments with getting his old Ford rescue vehicle back on the road. Even with much encouragement, Thomas is still a little apprehensive about the abilities of the Hamb to fix his car up, considering that there's a lot to do to it. (in additon to having other trepidations) A couple of the guys were assuring him that it was well within the Hamb's capabilities.

pitman posted this:

Highwayman, you might get a sense of what the group here can do, in this thread about HAMB-Andy. He show up at post #96. The gang here, esp. Doc and the friends near the Dunn family home, built a car for him. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ambandy&page=5
    Your stories of service are remarkable, thanks for sharing them here.
    <!-- / message -->

16. WOW!
    This was before my time on the HAMB but I had heard some story's about Andy thru the years. But when I checked out all the links you all submitted. My screen started to get blury.
    I keep telling my wife this HAMB is the greatest thing since sex, and she is starting to belive me after having her read this story.
    I( am having a HAMB get together tomorrow and we will have to talk about Andy at it.

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just read the whole newspaper article and watched the startup videos. I had assumed that the car was built and then presented to Andy. Nope...he was there while it was being built! Even better...lol.

I've gained a newfound respect for some of you guys. Doc, Fitzee, Leon, Hackerbuilt (Bill) and others that I'm just now learning about.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  18. I still have my Hambandy "T" shirt from those days..

19. lukey

lukey

I had never heard of Hambandy...gotta say my screen is getting a bit blurry. Alot of good people here! I can only imagine how that young man felt when he saw that car.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

A great reminder of how awesome this place and the people in the world can be. Thanks for bringing it back up.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The thing I liked about the HAMBANDY build, was not only the cool thing that was being done, but in a time when I had mediocre faith in internet forums, the work with HAMBANDY validated the HAMB.

I had been registered on a few forums and while they were sometimes helpful, they never really seemed to be about life itself. It's always great to read about a build, get advise on how to fix something or see pics from a show, but there's more to hotrodding than that. The HAMBANDY days reminded us all that there really are great people involved with this site.

Through the years, I've seen this place grow from just a hotrod and custom site, to an actual force in the hotrodding and custom world. The HAMBANDY build proved that to anyone who took the time to read it. As much as I hate the use of the word "hero", the guys that worked on that car are exactly that. Heros.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  22. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ohhhh no....IF you had known Andy you would know that he would have prefered to be there everytime the car was worked on AND right into it himself up to his elbows! LoL

Unfortunately he could only be around here and there because of his medical problems...but when he was...the place lit up.

I remember well the night I shortened/realigned the F1 shock brackets while he looked on from a distance and then Andy himself gave me a hand to bolt them to the car.
    He was smiling from ear to ear and so was I!!!

The entire car went together according to what Andy had in mind. This wasn't something he simply got presented with.
    He pretty much laid out the look himself and we built it as close as possible to that plan from what we had available ourselves and what Andys HAMB brothers and sisters donated!

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks very much for the additional input Bill! I envy you for having had the privilege of knowing Andy and being elbow-to-elbow with him during some of the build. I can't see how it could possibly get any better than that.

I absolutely LOVE that this build was Andy's vision that became reality. I'ts obvious that he knew what makes for a traditional hot rod, and had a deep passion for them. A true hot rodder he was, and many could learn from his example. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  24. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I was just a lurker on this forum back when a bunch of really good people did so much for Andy and his family. I had seen pics of the build and HambAndy with his hotrod. I had seen people refer to him on here and knew he had passed but really didn't know any of the details about Andy's illness. What's strange is I had thought of HambAndy a few hours before I saw this thread. I checked out all the links posted in this thread about Andy and his car. Everyone needs to read Andy's father's post about Andy's last hours. What a good kid.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383608&highlight=hambandy

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Pops. That post from Andy's dad is the one that'll have you reaching for the tissues...due to Andy's passing, but also because of the element of sweetness. Sigh...

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fred, thanks for chiming in. I know you were instrumental back then in helping to keep a related thread or two going. Good man.

27. atch

atch

anyone have that pic of andy and the car at the car show he went to right after the car was "done"? it was my computer wallpaper before the great hard drive crash of 2012. now i don't have it available any more.

sure would like to get it back as my wallpaper.

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Well said, Meddler! I thank God I stumbled onto the HAMB in '09; though it's not perfect, it's proof that good souls still FAR outnumber the a--holes in this world.:cool: Just have to know where to look, eh?

Rick, thanks for causing this new thread to take place. Obviously, Andy was and IS one of those special people who make the world a better place just by being IN it, no matter how long.;) Before you initiated this thread, I thought Normie-Poo about epitomized how deeply HAMBers' capacity for caring and APPRECIATION can run! Seems Andy:) was just indicative of a new generation following in the tire tracks of the likes of ol' Woo-woo, IMO.

The emotions expressed here, I think, mirror the mixed emotions of loss AND appreciation experienced by any car guy/gal who's lost someone they used to share the "road" with, so to speak. God bless Andy, God bless the HAMB!

29. I have never heard of him, about to read up now....sorry to hear of the loss of a young man

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From Andy's father "Dunnie".

As I write this to all Hamb members worldwide I cannot help to think how much all of you meant to Andy.You all were his inpiration to fight this dreadful disease for as long as he did. His younger friends (locally) faded away as he got sicker and he couldnt go out to hang with them anymore.He couldnt go in his garage and work on things that meant alot to him because of his eye and alot of times he would cry because people couldnt understand what he was saying so he didnt talk much last goin off.When I had to work he stayed in his room alot with his computer and watched you guys all day long talking about your love for traditional rods and customs. You all became his teachers and friends everyday and nite.I will never forget the last movie he wanted to watch.(American Graffiti) He use to say that one day he wanted to be just like Milner.The nite before he died he wanted a wash from head to toe and asked me for baby powder.Then he told me to comb his hair back like Milners.After I did this he looked in the mirror and said "Im good now Dad".We walked from the bathroom past the window upstairs ,he stopped and looked out the window at the garage where his car was ,turned to me and put his thumb up and whispered "Good Times Dad". I said Yes and when you get better we will be out there again. He knew alot more than me about what was coming down. I carried him back to his bedroom sat him in his chair and gave him his pills as he took his last look at all his hamb buddies.He signed off and said im ready now.I put him in the bed and tucked him in. He pated me on back as I hugged him and he said dont worry Dad everthing is going to be o.k. He smiled and closed his eyes. The next morning when I went in his room he looked at me kinda different.As I knelt by his bed to see how he was and said ("im dying dad)and I knew then that the nite before all made sense in what he was doin and sayin to me. I told him it was o.k and that I understood and I told him that I was proud of him and that he never let me down. He looked at me and smiled.His mother told him the same thing.I called his brother at work. He waited for his older brother to come home. When Matt came he knelt by his brothers bed and said "Andy, I dont want to see you suffer anymore its o.k, Matt understands",Andy looked at us and closed he eyes.I had to let you know this as you all are his family too.Rosanne ,Matt and Myself Thank each and everyone one of you for all youve done for Andy and us as a family.The parts,labour,gifts and money you gave helped fulfill his dream of owning a Hotrod and the money will completly pay for his headstone and footing.We are forever grateful to you all.You Gave him more with your Love and Support than you will ever know.I Know because I was with him. Thank You all and God Bless you all. Dunnie
    <!-- / message -->