Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sticky Tach---how to fix?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Apr 27, 2013.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I'm sure somebody has dealt with this as well.. I have an old WesTach in my Packard that always sticks around 2000rpm. It works fine up until it reaches 2000, then wont read any higher (I've checked it with my dwell/tach bringing the motor up to 3500 or so) and when I let off it stays at 2000 until I tap the glass and then it drops down...

I've read somewhere if I want to take it apart and lube it up NOT to use an oil-based lube... why is this? Will Deep Creep or WD-40 or the like damage the internals? I'm not an electronics genius, but I don't see how it would hurt...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not sure about fixing it but WD-40 is not a lubricant. Its function in life is to displace water. Thats why they call it WD.

3. shelby1

shelby1
    from Lillian,Al

Use silicone spray .......petrol based products will evently dry out and clog the shaft movement ....i have fixed three tachs with silicone....but this is no guarantee that it will work for you....may be other problems
    kenny

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I disagree. It's both a lubricant and water displacer.

5. And for some reason fish like it too. The tach in my Corvair always sticks at 1500 until I give it a tap. Now this is what I was told, OK, over time magnetic particles build up inside the needle mechanism and all it needs is a good clean out. Don't know, not sure, just what I've been told.

6. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take it apart, clean it out real good with electronics cleaner, and use silicone to lube it up. I didn't think of it til just now, but I should go to radio shack or something and get whatever they use to clean computer parts.... I'll let you know how it goes!!

Also, from the WD-40 website:
    "Myth: <nobr>WD-40</nobr> Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
    Fact: While the &#8220;W-D&#8221; in <nobr>WD-40</nobr> stands for Water Displacement, <nobr>WD-40</nobr> Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product&#8217;s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal."

7. sport fury

sport fury

when wd40 dries it hardens and will lock up light mechanical devices.

8. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Yea, I have one stuck on 8300 rpm myself! :D