Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 5w, Apr 27, 2013.

1. 31 5w

31 5w

I have a '30 Roadster w/ narrowed '54 Pontiac dash . The steering wheel is '56 Chevy Belair ,which is 17 " diameter. After back surgery last yr. it is harder to get around the wheel getting in/out. The cheap 15-16 inch wheels are of very poor quality, has anyone dealt w/ Koch's steering wheel restoration? They supposedly make a new one of reduced diameter but before laying down$$$$ I would like some HAMB feedback. Thanks in advance .

2. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

I had no issues with a vintage Superior metalflake. My Bel Air was a real handful with the straight AXLE AND NO POWER STEERING.

3. fortynut

fortynut

It will take more effort to use a smaller diameter steering wheel, and whatever gains you get from the space saving and ease of entry will be lost by the increased strain on your back. Leverage is lost. The 'felt' ratio changes, and a smaller wheel will tend to make steering more 'twitchy' . Unless you have upgraded to power steering, I would suggest testing out the idea before laying out serious money. Just sayin'.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Have you considered a quick release hub to remove the steering wheel to make getting in and out easier ?

I just bought one to use on my RPU.

5. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

^ Good idea ,when i bult mine i put the colum at a lil higher angle
    went by feel really ,,used a tilt to get the angle i wanted i,m using a wheel and colum from a 57/58 chevy truck

Attached Files:

6. 31 5w

31 5w

Thanks for feedback!

7. Weasel

Weasel

What type of column do you have? I wanted to use a large diameter wheel in my Willys with a stock type non adjustable steering column and I used this adjustable column drop from Tri C Engineering. Just push the button on the drop and it will raise up or down and lock in place on the detents - brilliant....:)

www.tri-cengineering.com/Steering_Drops_by_Tri-CEngineering.htm

[​IMG]

8. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Emailed tri-c, they no longer manufacture this adjustable column drop. Owner/developer passed away & must have been a custom-niche, but sure looks like a great idea.
    Any other drops like this?
    Maybe a u-pull-it, salvage yard part that could keep straight-not tilt shaft, but give a few inches up-down adjustable.