Register now to get rid of these ads!

olds rocket motor..whats it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pressuredrop, Apr 27, 2013.

1. pressuredrop

pressuredrop
    from mesa AZ

I have a chance to buy an olds rocket motor with transmission. The motor is complete and running, but needs to be repainted, maybe valve cover and intake gaskets. I'm told it is either a 303 or 324? I dont know much about these motors or trans, so I hope I can get a quick lesson and ballpark idea of what it's worth.

2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

What year is the motor and what kind of transmission?

3. pressuredrop

pressuredrop
    from mesa AZ

I think its a 55 and torqueflight trans. I could be wrong about the trans...I'm only going off of what i've been told by a family friend. I've only seen it once, and that was 6 months ago

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Sounds like an early motor. The early transmissions weren't all that great. Lots of those motors found their way into early Fords. Very traditional. Torque flight is a MOPAR transmission.

5. pressuredrop

pressuredrop
    from mesa AZ

Haha, then i obviously have no clue what tranny it has. All I know is its the stock motor and trans, and the guy told me I can have it for 500 bucks. He wants it gone, but I dont want to make the trip out to get it if its not worth the money. I'd like sale it to help fund my current project.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  6. plymouth52

plymouth52

And damn Good one at that :)

7. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Even if its a "running" engine.....remember it's really just a core at this point in its life....it's approx 60 years old and realistically prob ready for rebuild.
    For me 500 is on the high side for a 53-54 ....especially if I also had to freight it in.....and I know a little about early Oldsmobiles

Not saying you couldn't find someone to own it,and pick up a couple bucks....but "fund" your project.... no.

Tony

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

like Tony said think core value
    but "running" means there is a better chance the core parts are still good,
    no catastrophic internal damage

it will make some difference in value depending on year
    last core setup I paid that much for was a '58 stick motor with transmission

most are about half that

9. I just sold a 54' Olds 324" with "Hydramatic" trans, complete less carb for $350, if that gives you an idea of what they're worth.

10. pressuredrop

pressuredrop
    from mesa AZ

Thanks 550Coupe. Thats exactly the kinda help I was looking for