Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! need CHP VIN verified in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el conejo 1964, Dec 2, 2009.

1. skullhat

skullhat

any spcn reg is a pain, as the vehicle is what ever year it is when you reg it, and must comply to that years vehicle codes and smog b/s requirements.

as bikes dont require a smog check as yet it isnt as bad with a bike, but it would sure be odd to have a panhead with 09 reg, thats for sure

skull

2. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Bottom line is a fully homebuilt frame is not legal.If the chp officer that gets your stuff realizes this is a homebuilt frame you are screwed.The really big one is the homemade vin,that my friend is a FELONY.Nothing good will come of your situation if you go the chp with what you have now.A friend of mine went through this and had to start completely over,lucky for him we had a cool chp officer and he also had a stock model a frame with good #s.He had to completly stripped the car and placed the body on the A frame,You have to have the engine in place but it does not have to run.Take my advice find a frame and start there.You may not be so lucky.

3. PokerStogey

PokerStogey

Does'nt go into DMV database (system) until registration process is started. Your still okay. Take a short drive to Victorville and have N2OLDTIN do it!!!!

4. Hot Damn.. Been a member for 18yrs now and never knew that! I have a 56 Bel Air that ended up a 4dr on the registration(Tweeked out verifier..Methanphetamines a helluva drug) So I need to correct the issue- cos I need to get rid of the car. So I thank you for that info!

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Your DMV guy is full of it. I stopped getting local police or CHP to verify VINs because there always seemed to be something wrong. So now I go to DMV and never had anyone refuse to verify the VIN. Mostly trailers but my Stude also. The trailers were home made.

6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Local DMV here in El Cajon doesn't want any police officer, CHP or otherwise, to do the inspection/verification...they always want you to bring the car to the DMV inspection lane where they look at it. You'd think that there would be some sort of standard even for the DMV.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are not screwed. You can use that local PD inspection sheet. You just need to go to a different DMV. You have to understand that most of these DMV people don't understand most of the processes. They just do as they are told (blind leading the blind) and probably mis-interperate most of their own instruction to begin with.

There are also titling services around so. cali. that will handle all this for you. It's relatively inexpensive, and it's done correctly and you get you plates almost immediately if not immediately. You may want to start by getting it registered and THEN switch to the YOM plates.

One thing you REALLY need to take note of...

It is ILLEGAL to stamp numbers in your frame and coming up with a VIN the way you did is ALSO illegal. Not saying people don't do it, just saying you probably shouldn't announce it on a public internet forum. I know for a fact there is at least ONE HAMB member that is CHP in your area and WILL read this.

8. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Screw the DMV and the CHP. Call Linda Maddox. She is a certified vin verifier and she comes to you. You can check her out here: http://www.vinverifyplace.com/dnn/default.aspx

One word of caution though... you've got a fake vin on a non-production frame. I don't know if this is going to be a problem for you or not. If the vin was cleared by the dmv then I would think you're good to go but I'm not the dmv so who knows.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEah! What Beef said! that Linda Maddox lady is local and is a certified VIN inspector and is super nice as well! She's like $65 and comes to you. Never have to leave your garage.

10. el conejo 1964

el conejo 1964

I actually talked to Linda Maddox yesterday. Super cool lady....but couldnt help me with this. Because the DMV already referred me to CHP, thats the route I have to take. Ive decided to bite the bullet and just go the CHP and see what happens. I dont mind being assigned a new VIN, which Im assuming is whats going to happen. We'll see. Ill update after my appointment next week so those interested will know what happened. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and keep your fingers crossed for me.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm guessing we ALL really want to know how it goest then. Fingers crossed for you!

Maybe taking the headers off will help with the overall visual of what you're bringing to them. Just a thought.

12. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

A Deputy can do it, I did it a couple years ago when I was one. Sounds like you need to find a different DMV in a neighboring town.

13. before you go to CHP do like the dude earlier said.
    contact rich.

he goes by I partout chevys!! here on the HAMB

14. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I pulled up a copy of the California DMV VIN Verifyer handbook requirements that is used to by licensed verifyers.
    PERMITTED VERIFICATIONS:

• Nonresident vehicles.
    • Any vehicle or trailer, excluding used motorcycles, with supporting documents for which there is no California
    record.
    All other vehicle verifications must be referred to the DMV or the California Highway Patrol for inspection.

PHOHIBITED VERIFICATIONS:

• Original applications for automobiles, motorcycles, and commercial vehicles with an unladen weight of 8000
    pounds or less whose Federal Certification Label (Safety Label) is missing, altered, or as noted on the Vehicle
    Verification (REG 343/31) does not match the documents.
    • Revived salvage or revived junk vehicles.
    • Used motorcycles with unavailable records or with documents from a foreign country.
    • Motorcycle with engine changes.
    • Licensed Verifier’s own vehicle(s).
    • Incomplete or unassembled vehicles.

15. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

I had a similar issue,they wanted me to bring my 31 down to determin if it was a 30 or a 31...LOL!?! Anyway..they first gave me the paper work, I saw it could be signed off by a cop......now if you read closer it says "CA. peace officer".......fuckin bingo!
    My sister-in-law was a cop at the time(4 years ago) and that's that ! If the current form still says peace officer..your good to go!. Try bringing the signed and finished form to different DMV'S till you find one that gets it done!! Be patient!!! Do the DMV foot work and it will happen......
    my best...UD

16. Just one more reason I love living in NH. Any vehicle over 15 years old dosn't require a title. You also never have to set foot in a DMV office to get a vehicle registered. It can be done at your local town clerks office. You need a bill of sale from the previous owner (not notarized. scribbled on a napkin is fine) and a VIN verification form signed by any police officer or anyone certified to do state inspections (me) or any licensed car dealer. That's it. Done deal. Live Free or Die... Good luck with it. Hope it all works out.

17. hillbilly36

hillbilly36
    from Gilroy Ca

Just buy a frame with vin # and put the body on it { bolt it down } put it on a trailer and take it to another DMV.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems like there should be a market in Cali for sections of frame rails with the original vin clearly stamped in them. Here's what's left of the frame that came with the body, you can see why I couldn't use it to build the car.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm dying to hear how this all shakes out!

I'd have tossed out the paperwork and started over with a title service. $150 and a couple weeks later you have your title, easy peasy.

I just don't trust The Man not to screw me somehow.

20. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

luckily for me, in New hampshire any cop or inspection station can verify the vin. my car has a new clip so the only vin i had was on a previous reg from NY. have a friend with a dinspection station and a rack of beer, we're good. good luck with your dilema

21. Scramboleer

Scramboleer

I just went through this yesterday trying to get my 1964 Kaiser-Jeep Willys Wagon registered in California after shipping it from Arizona. By 1964, Willys was no more, but it's a Willys Wagon nevertheless.

The Willys' VIN is nine digits long; the Arizona DMV only registered the last five. I had all of the paperwork, but the Wagon is not drivable and hence not with me at DMV. Further complicating matters is that the official maker of the Wagon is Kaiser-Jeep Corporation. That wasn't in DMV's computer system. The conversation went like this. "I'd like to register and pay taxes on my 1964 Kaiser-Jeep Wagon. I bought it in Arizona and had it trucked here. I also need a non-op for it until I get it running," sez I. Long pause. Stare. Long pause, followed by typing. Long pause. "Is it an Austin?" asked the clerk. "No, it's a Kaiser, like the hospital." "Oh, there it is, Kaiser." She then punched in the five digit VIN in the computer. That brought everything to a screeching halt. I had brought a full page picture of the single VIN plate on the Wagon. Brows furrowed. Her supervisor was called.

The DMV clerk claimed that it needed two VIN plates in order for DMV to verify it; mine only has one. Then the DMV clerk claimed that only a CHP officer could verify it. Since my wagon has no brakes (yet), time to see if CHP makes house calls. The good news for your all is that most DMV offices have a verify lane; you can roll in without an appointment and get everything verified provided you have two VIN locations.

To be continued.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I was a Sheriff's Deputy and did vin verifications all the time. However, only the CHP can issue new vins.

23. castirondude

castirondude

I've taken vehicles to the CHP before and they had no problem doing the vin inspections. if it doesn't have a vin, they can assign one. In fact my 1928 dodge has a California assigned vin# because the original VIN was on the engine which is not in the vehicle.

Later I had a buddy who was with the CHP and he'd come to my house and do it, very convenient :D

24. p/ugasser

p/ugasser

Just curious how you get passed with those short headers anyway? That would never pass down here in Texas. Thought they had to be at least to the front of the rear wheel.