Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods REAL Tuck & Roll!...who does it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Standard32, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Here's a very similar post I put on the Suedes site a few years back: http://www.suedescarclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=1714.0

It's the way I've done "tuck and roll" for many years. I make sure I use a very good grade of foam and backing for seats. Regular grade scrim foam will suffice for panels. The only time I do it slightly different is if it's a "candy stripe".

Is it cheating or lower quality? Hell NO! It is the acceptable way of sewing "tuck and roll" today. If the overall look, feel, and quality are on...it's the real thing.

The processes and techniques we use on cars today to duplicate the look and feel of old are constantly changing and improving. As an old fart who's been trimming a few years it's great. Happy stitching!

beachbum jim and loudbang like this.
  3. PLZ.B.CTED

PLZ.B.CTED

'preciate it.

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Some good info there. Anyone have more on doing period-correct stuffed T&R? Lets try & keep this on topic, we all know theres easier ways, and this is more time consuming, but there are LOTS of threads on the modern method on here already.

6. I got home last night and looked at the pleats in my Pontiac. I thought I had panels of pleats from the door panels that had not been sewn yet (I have yet to finish the car LOL). I'll be dipped if I can find those crazy things...sure woulda made measuring the length of the vinyl over the top of the roll easier. :( I also looked quickly for the articles I had referenced back then on how to do it. No luck. I'll look again this weekend...surely that mess is someplace in that dump I call a shop. LOL

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I hear ya. I have WAY too many old magazines, sometimes it takes me a month to find something I thought I had at the tips of my fingers...

8. loudbang likes this.
  9. mikes51

mikes51

There was an old thread and in it someone said another way of making the "sandwich" was to use two pieces of venetian blinds as the "bread". Supposedly, that was how the width of tuck n roll was determined. Wide enough for a venetian blind to fit through.

On my own amateur seats I used mini blinds, I taped together the blinds at the end which was inserted first. After the sandwich "foam" was in place, I kept going with the blinds, pulled the blinds through and the foam stayed back there inside the roll.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    falcongeorge likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Excellent article.

Also very helpful. So you leave the pockets open on both ends, and pull the blinds out the bottom, right?

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

You can still get rolled and pleated upholstery in Tijuana Mexico. Just make sure the don't stuff the pleats with horse shit.

12. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I have been told by some that mine is actually stuffed with bull shit!:D

[​IMG]

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^Funny, thats what my wifes says...But she didn't say anything about pleats...:confused:

14. mikes51

mikes51

Yes, the sandwich goes in one side of the pocket and the blinds come out the other side. Keep in mind I'm just a guy who bought the "how to upholster your car" book and started experimenting just for the fun of it.

Easy to make mistakes, you can't bondo upholstery. For example, in pic, the rear seat came out pretty round shaped. Years later, I did some front seats, the material was a little too stiff, the foam too soft, so those rolls are flat compared to the back.

Getting a pro job is worth it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

On my budget, if I cant do it myself, it aint getting done.

16. INTERIOR.jpg

INTERIOR 2.jpg

interior 3.jpg

Hand stuffed by the MR's. The coupe will get the full treatment when i am done with the house.

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

YES but, getting back to the question, who does it (in Texas)?

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

19. HAHAHA thanks man!

20. mikes51

mikes51

Really nice job!

Falcongeorge, you can see on Humanfly's excellent last photo the rolls with the stuffing sticking out both ends. Looks like the ends have been sewn closed afterwards in the photo.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  21. I understand they are still doing REAL tuck and roll in tijuana.........mexico i know i spelled that wrong .I heard this a few years ago thats right across the border from you, isn't it? Thats where it originated 50 60 years ago, hth bob s

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I did make note of that. Human Fly, what kind of sewing machine did you use?

23. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

Tuck and Roll by Buddy Pruitt, Tulsa OK.
    All leather.

Attached Files:

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

25. When I built Little T for parades and car shows I stitched up diamond pleats.
    [​IMG]

Someone asked about what machine someone used. I purchased my Consew forty one years ago so that I could upholster the sidecars that I manufactured. Still have it and use it on whatever project I'm working on. I don't confess to be a professional upholsterer but it saves me thousands of dollars being able to do my own work.
    [​IMG]

This shows the french seam in the lapel.
    [​IMG]
    I had planned on using a red welting but the material that I had didn't have enough pull or stretch to it and I couldn't get it to work so I went with blue.
    [​IMG]

This shows the stitching using a backer and foam.
    [​IMG]

26. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Real Tuck and Roll. Stitched and overstuffed including the entire firewall and rumble seat compartment. (Lyle Willits photo)

PM me if truly interested as this gentleman only does one to two cars annually. Eastern PA.

Jay

Attached Files:

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

28. fordcpe

fordcpe

tuck and roll the only way to go.Mine from the early 60's getting old but I love it.

Attached Files:

29. Thanks for the plug, Joe.

Here's some pix of a recent '50 Olds project. The package shelf and door panels are the "fold and sew" variety while the seats are individually stuffed pleats. This gives a higher crown to the pleat and hides the stitch line deeply into the pleat.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures; it's my crappy cell phone... :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Aaron at Fast AL's Upholstery in Dewey does great work. Just talked to him last week at the Stray Kat 500 about doing a couple for me.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad