Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pickup Bed on a model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadFarmer, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Had a slow afternoon yesterday so I decided to drive around and knock on a few doors of places I had seen project vehicles. Lots of NOs, but did get a maybe on a '55 Chevy pickup and a '65 Chevy Fleetside pickup.

While talking to the old lady with the '65, I asked her if she had any other old cars. She said yes and that she had a few Model As and a '41 Pontiac in her shed. But was embarrassed to show them to me since it was dusty in there!!!:eek:

I told her I didnt mind, but she said she'd call me some day when the weather is nicer outside.

She mentioned that one of the model As was a car with a pickup bed......?:confused:

Did ford make a model like that or would this just be a farmer rigged jalopy?

I'll post some pics that I got of the '55 shortly

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

I have one--a 5 window 31. Ford didnt make them, but a lot were converted because of larger gas rations for trucks during the war. And back then A's were cheap & plentiful and if you needed a truck much cheaper to convert a used A than buying a truck.

3. That became popular during WWII- a pickup got a better ration card/more gas than a passenger car, so folks would take out the trunk/rumble seat and build a pickup bed to put in it's place.

rockyfarmer, you type faster than me, I guess :D

4. Here's the '55 ImageUploadedByTJJ1367001076.661591.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1367001146.727835.jpg

These were the NOs
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1367001177.148275.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1367001207.614546.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1367001301.666146.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1367001333.294355.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Forgot to snag some pics of the '65....only bad thing is it's a longbed....good for parts atleast

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

7. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Here is some photos of one a guy I know has (sorry for the terrible photos, they are with my cell phone). I asked him about it. He told me his dad made it to get the larger gas ration and it now sits waiting for something to happen with it....

I hinted I would be happy to do something with it (why I asked).... but it was his dad's can't blame him for holding onto it...

Cheers
    RustyNCA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Why is a Longbed a bad thing?? Also, why is it surprising to see a Model A coupe with a truck bed? Chevy had them.

9. classic gary

classic gary

An early Ranchero

10. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

Mine looks really good. The rear quarters were cut off and a full pickup bed w/rear fenders installed. Still has the banger, but 35 wires. I'm keepin it full fendered just like it is.

Wish I wasnt so damn computer illiterate....I'd post pics

11. Really? If you think long beds look just as good as short beds that's fine, but MOST people (myself included) prefer the short beds. Look at the difference in classic truck prices.

I've never seen a model A with a pickup bed......that's why it's surprising. Some others have already answered my question and educated me. thanks for your input....helped alot.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013