Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1940 Nash engine swap- what works?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, May 13, 2010.

1. Lono

Lono

I'm sitting back sucking this all in guys.. thanks for everything your sharing.

2. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

How about freshening up and blueprinting the engine with Arp rod bolts thrown in for security..reground cam and add a turbo or supercharger, port and ceramikote the intake/ exhaust passages.
    Really aren't alot of swaps easier than tuning the existing engine better?
    I've had a few vehicles that wern't very fast at all and it didn't bother me...I drove them like a 90 year old man anyway. that's the way I like to drive them and it's okay because I have things with alot of power and can go too fast if I'm in that mood.
    They don't all have to be fast

3. Lono

Lono

I was thinking more the lines of dependable over fast. I'm going to want to do some long hauls with it. Not a white lightning kinda guy, low and slow works well for me.

4. farna

farna

A low pressure turbo would be great then. Just 5-6 psi will give a modest boost in performance without compromising reliability. The stock engine only had 6.3:1 compression, 99 hp @ 3400 rpm179 ft/lbs torque @ 1200 rpm. 10 psi boost shouldn't hurt it and output would be increased by about 50% -- 150 hp!! 3-3/8" bore, 4-3/8" stroke... tractor motor!

Remember, back in the 40s there weren't a lot of highways where a constant high speed (50+) could be maintained for any length of time. Most cars were geared low and engines were cammed/designed to pull at low speeds. Many drivers took off in second gear unless on a hill then shifted to third, with most shifting between second and third. That's why the three speed column shifter worked so well. Some had OD, which came in automatically above a certain speed (around 30-35 mph), so no shifting there. Auto trannys meant no shifting, but only GM made an auto in the 40s, and they didn't start selling them to others until after WWII.

5. OL-54

OL-54

A little late to the party, but no one has suggested what my Dad did with his 41 Nash; Stovebolt Chevy. Looks alot like the original 6 plus has a ton more speed parts than a Nash engine (thats why he did it), lighter and more powerful than the original. With this 57 Chev 6 there was a very slight mod to mount the engine. Transmission; anything that can go behind the Chevy, his is an overkill 700r4 than fell into his lap with an adapter plate. He ran the stock rearend for awhile, but this year swapped in an 8.8 Ford out of an explorer which made his tire clearance problem go away. See pic's of outside on my profile.

6. Bredlo

Bredlo
    from Chicago

Wonder whatever happened with this Nash - it was beautiful in its stock config... so what happened over the past 3 years, Lono?