Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I finally got the pump stand all done...made up some fuel lines also. Still looking for the correct T fitting for both carbs. I'm also running into trouble still with the return oil line on the charger.... My charger housing is not tapped as large as the few others I have seen Online. So I may have to restrict the inlet some so It does not overflow of the breather out the snout

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

After seven hardware and plumbing store, I finally got the correct fittings to run my fuel lines completely ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Vroom vroom...Looks fresh

4. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

A solid tube from the gas filter to the pump is no good idea, as the engine moves around

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

in most cases you are correct... my motor had 4 mounts on it total. two on the pumps and two on the trans. that motor has no slack in it, and the mount kit that i put in, the bushings are hard ebough it mise well be solid. i feel comfortable with it. the line from the filter to the pump is 5/16 thinwall copper, its very soft. the rest is thick wall

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

You should at least put a couple of loops in it to take up any vibration. The copper can crack, hate to see this fine build go up in smoke.

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ill take that suggestion, that will be getting done tonight. i was jsut reasearching a compression style braided stainless flex adapter that will splice inline. i appreciate the ideas. thanks guys:cool:

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

took everyones advice and installed a rubber flex joint in the fuel lines. thanks guys.. Radiator came today, along with all the small odds and ends that i needed to make her roll out the garage under its own power. cannot wait! gonna be great to be able to start it and drive it.. also.. a something else i did. it has a push button starter on the floor too i robbed off an antique tractor.... after the key ignition. just something to make it a little different and a little more like a model a should be

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Leoneidas likes this.
  10. Mart

Mart

I use a lot of copper tube myself, but the filter to pump pipe has the alarm bells ringing big time for me. The fact that it is thinwall makes it worse. Chop it short at each end and put some rubber in it. It doesn't matter how solidly the engine is mounted, it is an old car and there will be a lot of flex between the firewall and the engine.

Mart.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

mart. its thick wall now..changed it all last night. out in about 6 inches of rubber.. i was was worrid about it after those guys brought it to my attention..

12. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Cool.
    Thanks

13. daddio211

daddio211

Good work man! Something you won't have to worry about in the future, and we all will rest easier too!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

14. Mart

Mart

Great.

Mart.

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Got some parts put on.... Turned out ok.. Had to lift motor half inch for rad hoses to fit right..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And another package came today

[​IMG]

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I'm taking it to the rad shop tomorrow and having the water neck reinstalled in the factory location. I'm gonna be different and stay with a model a grill on a model a ...

17. caddy346

caddy346

That is one COOL build! Just stumbled on the thread! Its like DEJAVU when i look around the back bay of my shop and see my '30 roadster everywhere! Had just about every problem you've had and some! Im runnin 24 stud toploader with stock rear but an OD in TT! Y did ya shy away from the stock rear? was it brake fitment? As far as is can tell most A rears are 3.73:1(Down under any way!). Been meanin to post pics for ages but not real Computer literate! Also prob get a bunch tellin me im doin it Wrong! Anyways hopefuly might even see ya car headin that way for the 2 big swaps in OCT booked the flights today! Love the charger 2! i nilly bought 1 once kicken myself sence!

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

nothinkg like cutting apart a brand new radiatoe. but it needed done. i couldnt stand the looks of an empty fill hole in the grill shell. i have it all cut and smoothed out, ready for tig welding today. i will post pics of that later once its done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

sorry man, but that radiator is god awful on that car! it NEEDS a good stock A radiator. that brand new aluminum radiator core looks horrible in that shell with the rest of the beautiful parts you have on this build. the radiator is so much a part of the look of the car when you use an A shell. Even a walker would be soo much better. besides, after one year without an insert to protect those fragile aluminum fins it will be all buggered up looking.

20. I'm glad to see you are staying with the Model A grille shell. IMO it looks much better that way. :D

I am really enjoying this build. Keep up the good work.

21. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i respect your opinion... the radiator will be coated with the same satin black as a stock one. i cannot use a stock model a radiator. there is no rad shop within 2 hours that will install the correct necks on one. i tried. and i dont have the extra funds to drop 700 or more on a brassworks like my orignal plan was. and i am driving this car this summer, im not going to waste a summer of crusing the car because i was to picky about what kind of rad im using.
    the aluminum will do for a year or two until i get a brassworks. thats the only company i will buy. but this was cheap, and it will keep my motor nice and cool with that undersized fan i had to run..
    thanks for the input.

22. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

I think you did the right thing, gonna look good with the A shell and some black paint...

23. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

This car just has "the look." I try not to stroke guys too much on the forums, but everything about what I've read here is pretty much perfect. Your choice of parts and the way you fabricate is spot on. Really, really nice work man. Subscribed...

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Agreed.

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thanks! im trying to do everything "as they did" back then. for the most part anyways. i know, my grandfather, who is 76 is very pleased with what im doing.. and he is the kinday guy who hates seeing nice old cars get cut up, but he still loves the hotrods... i keep telling them they all started out at the same place... . he loves his bone stock 51 desoto and cringed when i told him my plans... but he sees that its not some hacked up mess like alot of the younger guys are building.. i wont use THE TERM... i really think that is my biggest goal, for people to look it over and really feel like that car is from the late 40's.. so far, other than a few minor fabrications.. the car has turned out way better than i expected.. it will ook alot more uniform once the engine is cleaned up and some paint on it.. no too fancy though :)

26. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Started making the stainless exhaust system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. daddio211

daddio211

I am confused. :confused: Are those exhaust manifolds between the block and stainless pipes?

28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Yes, the factory style when it was pulled from the 36 coupe

29. daddio211

daddio211

Cool man, post more pics when you can please.

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag