Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the worst thing you ran over with a Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Apr 23, 2013.

1. wayne-o

wayne-o

Kind of OT but funny now. We had a Jr Dragster that my son had aged out of an could not race anymore so we put it up for sale. A guy and his young son came to look at it and we took it to the local high school parking lot to let them drive it. Now this thing was extremely loud, megaphone exhaust on alchol and someone in the neighbor hood called the cops. They came, told us we could not drive it on the parking lot and got ready to leave. When pulling away the cop ran over the starter box for the dragster we were using to start it. Basically a starter motor with a long shaft on it with a battery to power it. Somehow the damage caused the starter to engaged spinning at a gazillion RPM's under the cop car, bent the shaft and proceded to beat the hell out of the underside of the car. As he did not know what he had done, the expression on his face was priceless. He backed up, the box was still spinning and we were able to finally get it stopped. Then had a whole force of cops show up. I was pissed because I had to discount the new buyer the cost of the starter, the guy buying the car was pissed because he had to get another starter, and the cops were trying to figure out who was to blame. I filed a complaint with the city but never got anything.

2. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Hit a little dog in a sweater in my 66c10 ran right out from the tall grass almost caused a 3 car accident in the process felt bad for the little dog he was alive I wrapped him up in my shirt and took him to the closet house they knew the owner who wasn't home so they took him to the vet. I like to think he's still alive but I know his leg was to bad to be fixed. My buddy killed A bird with his face topped out on a 450 4wheeler he had a black eye forever looked nasty

3. castirondude

castirondude

Drove over a goat once. We have a small farm. One of the mother goats somehow would not let the baby goat drink so I bottle fed it, and hence it followed me everywhere like a puppy dog. Would sleep on the porch by the front door every night. Well one day I got into the truck and drove it over to the shop. I swear I didn't go more than 3-4 mph. My wife came running out saying I drove over a goat. I never even noticed. I think it ran under the back and then when I drove away it tried to get out from the side and got under the wheel. Its chest was broken and I could feel the internal bleeding.. it lived for a minute or two but there was nothing I could do to save it :(

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

4. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

DVD Player. Broken one thrown out for trash.

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

in my off topic lowrider truck, I hit an already dead rodent of some kind. It got caught under the front crossmember.

I was at speed, so I kept driving until it wore thin enough to fit under the truck and out the back. I could see parts in my mirrors for a few miles.

I found a carwash once I got to my destination.

6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 stories:

Not me but my brothers friend RG was tooling along in his 67 Mustang coupe one night when out of nowhere a horse comes running out into the road! this is down in South Texas, so large critters are not uncommon. "That horse made a convertible out of that coupe"
    Horses are easier to see in the daytime. My GF had one she raised from a colt and barrel raced. She was driving up to her house when he came running at her and it was obvious he could not stop to avoid her car. She had to put her Malibu into a tree.
    I ws driving my daily along a main drag and there was a pickup with trailer in fromt of me. I see a hitch pin bounce out, hit the pavement and make a perfect arching endover pioroette heading for my headlight. SMASH! I was about to get mad about the headlight when I realized I needed to get out from behind the trailer. As I motored by the truck I saw the guy driving lose it when the trailer fell away from the hitch and start swerving around in the road. No safety chains. I just kept on driving.

7. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

In 1967, I was crusin down cental ave. between camlback and Indian school, one Friday night in my dropped 59 Chevy Impala, record player jaming away, not a care in the world. coming up to Indian School rd, the left two lanes were stopped, but in inside right lane it was open so I changed to the right lane, and than I found out why they were stopped. A teacher from the indian school was crossing the street. I hit the brakes and slid into her. She rolled up the hood and looked at me thru the windsheld, about the same time I got stopped, and than she she was gone. rolling down the street...My girl friend, (now my wife of 45 years) was with me, every body screaming, Broke one of her legs and banged her up real good. Oh yes i got 5 tickets when the cops got there, and the mayor Of Phoenix was coming out of the Pizza place and was a witness not in my favor.... wish I still had the 59....only thing I still got is the record player, and the wife.

8. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

9. I bought a brand new off topic suzuki samurai off the showroom, brought it home, wifey took it for a test drive and ran over a skunk, the whole underside was covered in a cosmoline type substance and it soaked up the juice. needless to say the new car smell never came back. Never....... I've hit numerous deer with numerous vehicles but the topper was hitting a deer, a large bird and a rabbit within an hours time. weird....

10. bobscogin

bobscogin

What's the worst thing you ran over with a Hot Rod?

I ran over budget. Way over budget.

Bob

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Odd, I came damn close to having the same story only at 3rd street and Indian School about 5 years ago. A Navajo gal with her child had just walked out into traffic against a green light in rush hour traffic and I was crankin' down the right turn lane in the Plymouth... Just missed them both. The mom was soooo drunk she stood next to my car on the sidewalk and yelled at me all through my wait at the light while I tried to calm down!

12. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

I fully agree with ya. I did the same, and to many times...

13. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I know one thing from reading this thread them there ROADS are dangerous:D From fence post,to rattle snakes,file cabint,250 lb dead guys,Indians drunk ones at that,not to mention all the different critters like ducks ,dogs,deer,cats,and possums doing the nasty oh yea a gator:D I love this place:D keepem coming

14. A coyote that darted in front of me on the Hwy, and a doe that tried to head butt my El Camino EARLY one morning on the way to the Pomona Swap Meet..

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I was leaving Orange, CT show and some kids were playing on a blanket on the ground...One of them drove an RC car under my right rear tire as I drove by, squashing it flat as if Big Foot had run over it...Shoulda seen the look on the kids face as he picked it up..

16. Cruiser

Cruiser

This would make you a hit and run driver, hope the kids got your license plate number. You could have stop and exchanged driver information and your insurance. The Police are looking for you now. :D:D

CRUISER :cool:

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My wife (girl friend way back then) and I were taking a road trip in her 65 Mustang Coupe, and hit a skunk doing about 85, around midnight, in the middle of nowhere. All I saw was a flash of white, felt/heard the thud, and looked at my girlfriend. Then it hit her...............the smell was delightful, and her reaction was pretty funny. We stopped and stayed the night in a motel while the car sat in the parking lot de-fumingating overnight. By morning the smell had pretty much gone away. I never liked that car, and I felt it got what it deserved. That car nickel and dimed me to death, and I was always having to work on it, and she would't part with it for anything (until I had her "test drive" a new 1990 5.0 LX Mustang). I used to say it was my cross to bear on this earth. So, a skunk; a dirty, smelly, rancid skunk. Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. I got a couple, non skunk/possum/coon related.

In about '90 or '91 I went to Sackatomato to buy a 56 chevy pickup (from Chris Alston's son). Hauling it back we were part way through OR in the middle of nowhere (at about 2 am) and an entire goddam flock of sheep was standing on Hiway 97. Crossed up the vehicle and trailer w/ the 56 on it and mowed down a half dozen of em- sideways..

Couple months later I was driving the same '56 pickup (Camaro stub, 427 bbc and a hemi 4 speed) to first day of the schoolyear. Gave it a little to much gas and a bit too much clutch pulling into the parking lot. Spun it around and landed on the sidewalk in front of the school. Looking right at the Vice Principal.

My buddy was buzzing across the desert here in E WA and saw a HUGE tumbleweed and had a glorious plan of bursting through it like some kinda movie star- till the stem went through his radiator like a lanced boil.

19. Rob E.

Rob E.

A guy I know totally custom restored his 68 Camaro.
    No expense spared ... this guy John is a fanatic.
    On his maiden voyage a dog ran out right in front of him and ruined the front end.
    This John is a bit touched as he got out of the Camaro and proceeded to kick the daylights out of an already dead dog.
    I believe anger management is in order for John.

20. Rob E.

Rob E.

BITD oh .... 1992 I was daily driving a 67 Buick Special (wish I'd kept that car).
    Anyway on my way home I swerved just in time to have a deer slightly glance off of the front left fend and put a 3" diameter dent in it.

I'm pretty sure the deer was ok

21. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Skunk don't want to do that again

22. Old&Low

Old&Low

My 'Ex Wife;' oh wait, that was the dream I had last night, . . .come to think of it, I wouldn't condider that the 'worst' thing I ran over either lol!

23. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Heading for the shop one early morning in the T-bucket.
    just leaving speed zone, heading for 65 mph. and a young mallard female duck flys into my windshield. Taking out the top half of split windshield.

Also backed over my Honda generator.:eek:

24. Joe-A-

Joe-A-
    from Carson CA

I ran over my budget!

25. poor boy pumpkin

poor boy pumpkin

A 2010 Dodge Durango

26. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Ashamed to admit this but here goes. Back in the late 70's I installed a new throwout bearing in my 55 Chevy in a friends shaded backyard. Had the hood off the car because I needed all the light I could get. Jumped in, started the car, pressed the clutch and put her in gear and you guessed it. She lurched forward and came to rest right on my louvered hood! Still haven't lived that one down.

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

28. Was on the 202 in Phx, wind blew an empty 5 gallon plastic bucket into the front of one of my Ts. I saw the thing rolling, just couldnt stop in time. Took out a brakeline when I hit it.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was not the rod, but I did successfully run myself over once, with a vehicle I was driving. Twenty-nine fractures. Hurt like hell. Have a Titanium ankle to show for it. Nobody does stupid, like I do stupid.