Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

[​IMG]
    What is Buster looking at?

2. He caught me in the staging area holding a rag next to the valve cover to keep it from peeing oil all over everything one time at DIMS. He could speak volumes with his facial expression! I looked at him and knew exactly what he wanted me to do!

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Tom Chambliss, driving the 'Mallicoat Bros.' 'Cuda, went off against Steve Woods in his 48' Anglia AA/Gasser. The Bros' were running a new engine combination and using a Clutch-flite tranny with a 'Crower-glide' two disc clutch. Just as the Mallicoat car went screaming through the lights on a 8.48 / 166.00 pass, the transmission failed, locking up both rear wheels! Tom got the chute out and did a masterful driving job bringing the car to a skidding, smoking stop. — at Fremont Dragstrip

[​IMG]

In this Steve Reyes photo, Bill Dunlap is caught at speed during the '69 PDA Championships in the dragster of John Halstead. They mostly ran the car as a AA/GD but ocasionally, like at this event, they would run it on ntiro. During eliminations Bill left the line with a broken rear end and ended up on his head in an attempt to avoid the car in the other lane. The car was repaired and repainted but the fuel motor never went back in. — at Fremont Dragstrip

[​IMG]

Al Vanderwoude 'Flying Dutchman' 66-67
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  4. yellow69z28

yellow69z28
    from Jersey

Al MacNamaras Mac Chevrolet NHRA Division 5 S/S Entry in 1969

[​IMG]

Division Champs, Track Champs - Corn Husker Raceway, Manufacturer Cup
    Charlie Jacobs as Driver

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same car in 1971 Jim Hayes as Driver/Owner
    Division Champion 1971 and 1973

[​IMG]

Additional Info (click below):

Mac Chevrolet S/S Class Racer

5. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  6. WCD

WCD

This aint no gasser, this baby is on nitro. But you all knew that.

7. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Interesting. I'd never seen the Smith Speed Shop name on anything but circle track cars until now.

8. So then.... the Prock & Howell car was run as an AA/FA?

9. Larry T

Larry T

I thought it ran mostly in the Midwest Outlaw Gasser Assn. (or something close to that) with the Hill Bros, Jim Shores, Chuck Finders. They ran exibition, not NHRA classes.
    Larry T

10. brandon

brandon

ive got a pic of a copper colored Anglia with it on it....might be posted in this thread

11. WCD

WCD

Basically yes.

12. LWB

LWB
    from Chi-Caw-Go

One "n" in Lonnie Denison's Name.

And the west coast guys weren't all that they creamed (with a 354, no less). I was conceived at the '64 meet.

Pops is driving in this one; you can tell as his head is barely above the windscreen. Snag was much taller.

[​IMG]

- "Willy" Knox's son.

13. zombie289

zombie289
    from SoCal

14. That is a nice roadster but, the '67 Pontiac Executive Safari that is pushing it chatches my eye! Especially those "428" emblems on the fender! It has the 8 lug wheels too. Someone had a very special push car.

15. WOW! What a great shot! love it. It looks rat powered but, still a cool shot.

16. it may have the 428 emblems but it has the same hubcaps my first car a 68 firebird had i dont think the 8 lug wheels were around in 67 or 68

17. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

18. Dave1946

Dave1946

I thought It started out black. Here it is being pushed through the staging lanes at the 64 Indy nationals.

Attached Files:

19. Dave1946

Dave1946

Pics from Minnesota Dragways about 1963-64

Attached Files:

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Slim, interesting pictures of what seems to be a temporary air field track, I'm guessing late 50's. Starting beams, and the erected 'sound barriers' are of particular interest, any other info?

21. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Great pics!! Thanks for posting

Marty
    Marysville, OH

22. delray57

delray57

Wow, If you look closely at the front fender of John Hagen's 63 Impala, you can see hail dents from a hail storm he encountered. The car was a Z-11 427 and had aluminum front fenders and hood. I recall seeing the hail damage on the car at Minnesota Dragways.

23. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Yes, I noticed that too! Great shots Dave.

Is that some form of ladder bar I see? Interesting that it's not connected to the rear end proper. Never seen that before.

24. Had a friend here in Indiana that had one long 2X2 bar that ran all the way up to his front crossmember. He had a pair of steel plates welded to the rear axle housing with the bar sandwiched in between. NHRA outlawed those long bars in 1965 as I recall.

25. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Yeah, I can only see one bar under John Hagen's Impala, but why just one?

26. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

^^^^^
    I wonder if it would keep the car from "twisting"? If I recall, it seems a lot of these off the line would kind of "twist" in the air. Just a guess, though

27. Dave1946

Dave1946

At that time long traction bars were popular. There are two bars under John's 63 Z11. You can see both mounts on the rear end but the driver's side bar hides the passenger's side bar in the picture. If you look under the pic of Al Tschida's nasty Willys gasser you'll see another set of long bars.

28. Dave1946

Dave1946

If you look on the right of the pic of the lone fuel dragster you'll see two photographers. The guy on the right is Jerry Johnson, founder and member #1 of the Minnesota Street Rod Association. The guy on the right is Tom Fennell who ran a very strong running 62 409 Biscayne.

29. Dave1946

Dave1946

Excuse me The guy on the LEFT is Jerry.

30. Willys gasser

Willys gasser
    from PA.

Does anyone have photos of the '33 Willys campaigned by S-W-C as a third car in the early '60s which had Chuck Finders as the driver. If I have missed it or them I am sorry. Been on the internet but none have shown up as of yet. Thank you all.