Register now to get rid of these ads!

painters! whats your favorite paint line?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brando, Apr 24, 2013.

1. brando

brando
    from layton, ut

I'm getting ready to paint a complete car for customer and was leaning towards using RM paint. ive never used rm stuff, but have heard good things. what are you're guys thoughts. or what is your favorite paint for a high qualitty job?

2. inliner54

inliner54

I like spies hecker but there are lots of good lines glasurit, ppg, and dupont are great too. Just depends on what's available to you.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I always like Diamont/RM but that was over ten years ago. Havent spray alot since then.

4. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

5. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

6. 66

from usa

Last time i painted i used Dupont Centari

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Im not much of a painter... so I like Dupont basemaker (i think thats what its called)
    pricey, but the 1 to 1 mix ratio is easy for a dummy to remember and get right!

8. voodoo1

voodoo1

Most of the paint out now is really comparable. They all hold up well, unless you're in the cheaper lines. You can use the RM and get really good success. The clear is where it will show your work. Spend a few more dollars and get a really good clear, it'll make the paint last years longer and hold up much better. That all said, if your prep isn't done well before you lay down the color, well, all bets are off. Good luck, Mike

9. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

All the major players make good products. This is another arguement like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar.
    I just use Dupont for regular colors, and HOK for custom, because I know the tricks, limitations, and procedures for them, and keep a supply of reducers, hardeners, etc. on hand for them.
    BUT, the cheaper lines of paint are usually a lot less quality. Omni for example.

11. Ob1

Ob1

I spray Wanda B/C about 98% of the time.

12. jumbogem29

jumbogem29
    from Alabama

PPG all the way for me.

13. robertsregal

robertsregal

I have sprayed PPG-Dupont-Sikkens as stated most products work well.My thought would be the the closest and a Rep that is knowledgable and good to work with and has good supply. I sprayed our 57 Buick using PPG base coat clear coat with four coats of clear and I'm very satisfied with the final product.

Attached Files:

14. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Standox from Primer to Clear Coat.

15. 51custom

51custom

I used them all over the last 50 yrs, I like Dupont the best. Can be pricey. You get what you pay for.
    Jim

16. brando

brando
    from layton, ut

thanks for the input guys. kind of what I was thinking, they're all good, but a second opinion is always nice. also it's not so much the paint brand, as it is the prep and the application.

17. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

tried em all, sikkens is the paint i've stuck with for 25 years, u-tech for single stage fleet accounts and "inexpensive" overalls, and HOK for custom work.

18. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

PPG for over 20 years,we switched to PPG's Envirobase back in Dec. the new stuff flat kicks ass!

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PPG. True enough, you can find good products from others. I also like HOK for their color selection. I don't trust DuPont. I used it exclusively for almost 1yr. The failure rate was exponentially higher than PPG, and know this, THEY ALL FAIL from time to time. This was in the late 90s for me, and the failure was crazing without warning or reason. Turns out DuPont had an "issue" with tri coats which were all the rage back then. Lately I've been getting really great results from PPG's Shopline products. The performance and consistency is right there, but oh my, the price is really user friendly. For example, PPG "Velocity" 3055 primer package, $280, Shopline 202, $98. They have several clears too. They now offer "Shopline Plus" for better OEM color matching and color variety. The best money spent is the final clear. PPG Velocity 4000 is my choice. Not too "wet" looking, handles well, dries fast, surfaces better and harder than the rest giving a very level and "lacquer-like" final finish. Like this:

Attached Files:

• 078.jpg
      078.jpg
      File size:
      202.7 KB
      Views:
  20. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Always been a PPG man