Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the worst thing you ran over with a Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Apr 23, 2013.

1. BP32

BP32

even though i cant drive i'v hit a few potholes with my dad

2. Nothin' safer than driving with mom or dad...

This was in 1994-1995. I was staying home painting and my wife was taking my oldest son (7 or 8) to a Cub Scout function, along with my 2 or 3 year old son in the car seat in the back.

They're on Sunrise Hwy going east and there's construction all over. This big truck in front of my wife hits a big chunk of cement with a pipe hanging out of it and it gets flung into her car, a '92 Regal. It hits the A piller on my son's side, almost goes through the windshield, bends the crap out of the pillar, knocks the mirror off the door, leaving a trail of destruction across the roof, down the trunk.

This was pre-cell phone. So she goes to 7-11 and calls the police, who takes the report and calms her down. She comes home still rattled.. it was scary shit.

We end up getting NY State to pay our insurance deductible, since it was their highway project. About 80% of the car had to be painted, but it came out good.

The cop went back to get the piece of cement out of the road, in the accident report it was estimated at over 100 lbs.

Bob

3. Streight8

Streight8

4. Holy crap - You win, Ran over your kid! :eek:

5. Coming home on I-29 from BTT50s driving my buddy's 41 ford pickup. Windy day and the guy in front of me had camping gear stacked high on his 70s F-250 with a big steel cooler lying on top, not tied down.
    Yup, it leaped out and hit the freeway right in front of me. I swerved but still hit it with the front fender, which was fiberglass. BOOM! Killed the fender, grille and pushed the front wheel back 3 inches...
    Insurance paid for it all.

6. Paul B

Paul B

Hit a recap (alligator) monday with my T-Bird messed up the rocker panel on the passenger side. never saw it

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

In the 80's I worked in Fairfield County, lived in Milford CT. The morning commute was not that far but was a lot of traffic, and the last part was bumper to bumper. I was in
    my off topic pickup, sitting in stopped traffic in the center of 3 lanes. I see a car coming
    the other way in the left lane going at least 70 when he suddenly has the front drop as
    he lost his front left wheel/brake/spindle assembly. The entire assembly came straight
    toward us (ex wife was in the pass seat) it hit the guardrail and went airborne, still coming right at us. I threw her on the floor, the tire skimmed my roof then smashed
    into the hood, then the windshield of the car just behind us in the right lane. Had to
    go home to change .

8. Skunk with the 29 Pickem up and a BIG ASS Racoon with my 30 Roadster... no pictures but I wish I had Sensurround for all those that think those two weren't bad!

9. Most people would pay high dollar for a winged hood ornament like that!!!:D

10. pinman 39

pinman 39

A Cat .It ruined his evening.

11. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

This happened in Fort Worth Texas was driving too a friends house in my 63 impala SS and after I came under a bridge a possum ran out in the middle of the road and totally plowed over him I looked back in the rear view mirror and he wasn't moving. The next day I drove threw there and didn't see him, quick cleaning crew I think......On a side note same car (impala) I didn't change the corroded wheel studs that held on the wheels and was doing 70 on the highway when the left rear wheel broke off and I got the car under control and pulled too the safety median and had a friend run out in traffic as a semi was barreling down on him too get the wheel and then the tow truck came and it rear hooks broke slammed in the back creating a big V shaped dent in the trunk, worst night ever.

.......Sent from Ar

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  12. IN MY 52 BUICK WHICH WAS VERY VERY LOW ..while crossing railroad tracks just after filling it with gas the tail pipe broke over the axle which then pivoted a bit on the rear hanger and muffler clamp holding the chrome tip hit the gas tank puncturing a 5/16 holein the edge and proceded to leak and drag the pipe against the curb
    I heard the scraping .. stopped got out only to find the gas streaming out...so crouching down I was able to put my finger over the hole and stop the gushing fuel .. pretty well.. just then a coworker from the parts store we worked at drove by and stopped I told him to go back to the store and get a package of the ribbon epoxy gas tank sealer ... off he went so now I sit on the curb and lean under the car and keep my finger over the hole ... all is okay until fatigue sets in and I have to switch fingers and reposition my self ... so thats when I notice the soles of my shoe are dissolving in the gas puddle .. dang then I notice the gas has run about 60 feet to the intersection where cars are stopping at the sign the gas is running accross the intersection ... dang ..what if some one flicks a lit cig out when stopped .. pfoom...dang about 20 minutes later he shows up with the epoxy and slowly needs it to mix it together and I pushed the gob over into the hole ... stopping the leak a quick twist of the hanger and the tail pipe is off tossed it behind the seat.. and away I went.......
    that leak never was a problem for the next 10 years until the car was sold

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A big friggin great dane! Luckily I was in my '57 Chevy, and that big bumper knocked him down. Couldn't believe it when he jumped up and ran off!

14. I guess I've been lucky. Although some years ago in a beater '88 T-bird I hit a deer. Saw it, and of course it decided to walk out across the road in front of me, I'd already slowed up, but not enough and sure enough bam. I only hit her hard enough to knock her over, she got up and ran away. I picked up a driving light lens that popped off. But for the remainder of that car's life the hood gaps were all visibly off at the front. The damn thing pushed the whole nose over about half an inch.

Outside of that, a couple of squirrels, and a cat one night, but apparently didn't hurt it badly as it ran away. A plastic trashcan lid once, too, which exploded into a zillion pieces.

15. metalman

metalman

You all do know what the last thing that goes thru a birds mind when it flys head on into a moving vehical is don't you?

One more. One of the local vintage camp trailer club members here pulls up to the pay shack at the entrance to a state park. The ranger jumps out of the booth yelling at them to get out of the car. Seems he noticed something sparking under their restored camp trailer as they came up, when they got close enough he realized it was their propane bottle. It had fallen off the rack on the tounge and was being dragged under the trailer held on by the hose. If that tank had ground all the way thru (it was close to it) that trailer might of just dissappered!

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

$800 damage from a cat? Must have been a heck of a big ass cat.

17. IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG Going down the hiway about 60mph, turned my head to see if my buddie's garage door was opened and hit a 1/2 steel bracket about 10 inches long laying in the road. If it hadn't hit my header it could of gone thru the windshield and hurt or killed my brother, riding in the passenger seat!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  18. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Sagtikos parkway has not been kind to me over the years as well.
    I avoid that road at all costs if possible.
    91, lady crosses 3 lanes and takes me out on my low rider at highway speed,bounced down the highway for 100 yards and when I came too I was sitting in rush hour traffic with my pants ripped off .
    Took my oilpan out on the cross island parkway on the way home from rhinebeck,thought it was a big bump. Shure enough run out of oil on the sag at 1 am.
    Ran out of gas twice there and two flat tires.
    Mind you,this stretch of road is only 15 miles or so but to me it's possessed.
    Must be the mental hospital along side of it.

19. Model A Nut

Model A Nut

My all orginal '290Model A closed cab truck. Only hurt the tail gate. So much pulling hole shots in the shop. Should have known better. yes beeer was involved!!!!!!

20. Besides the Cheif of Staff's patience and our budget, I once parked my 49 AD in my parent's LIVING ROOM via the front porch!

When I was younger and still living at home... brakes failed and I didn't react quick enough... probably driving too fast.

Backed the 49 out and replaced the ds headlight -otherwise it had a few scratches - WISH I could say the same for the house!

rg

21. The nasty old Sag.. nothing like it. I travel it maybe 4-5 times a week, no way around it without costing me tons of time.

Almost every time I travel it, there is 1 or 2 accidents with multiple cars involved. I was heading north one time, just past Pineaire Drive and there is a multi-car shuffle going on in the southbound lanes. A Jeep loses a wheel and maybe the spindle, which goes over the divider and bounces over 2-3 cars in front of me.

And the story above somewhere with the lady laying in the traffic lanes south of Pineaire Drive. Once you get north of Pilgrim, it gets better, might be the nut hatch connection after all.

I would love to own a body shop that takes in 1/2 the wrecks I see there, I'd be rich and it would be the biggest shop on LI. Charlie over at Higbie Collision gets his share from it as they own the towing contract.

Bob

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Pride? Nothing much for me, but my dad told me once he was out in his beater Model A (sorry, traditional hot rod) in the late 30's and saw a cardboard box in the road. He thought it would be fun to hit it and see how loud the sound was. The box had bricks in it. Har de har har. Needed a new grille and front axle. Gary

23. One time I was racing from one show to another in my 60 Caddy probley doing a hundred or so. As I came over a hill, I saw a flock of Geese walking across the Highway. There was no time to stop, slow down or swerve, so I had to go right through them. Right before the impact the big one looked up at me in shock like the Afflak Duck!
    I felt the bumping go underneath the floorpan, and looked up in the Mirror to see a wall of feathers explode up behind my car. There were feathers stuck to the undercarraige and even the front bumper chrome for a few months after that.

24. katyfattrodder

katyfattrodder

I hit a deer in my 46 Ford Business Coupe coming out of Centerville, Texas
    Tore up the driver side fender and a bit of the hood. Have to say thank GOD for Grundy Insurance........Paid 100% to have car repainted.

25. a bloke

a bloke

Not a hot rod but I hit a rabbit at about 65mph one night in my '63 Bel Air. It knocked the powerglide selector back into 1st gear which freaked me out for a second or two until I realised what had happened.

26. flyin-t

flyin-t

My own dog.
    I was 17 and had a '56 Ford big back window that I had just put in a 394 olds, B&M trans and a rear with 4.56 gears. Engine/trans/rear combo came out of a older guys (he must have been 25 or so) truck that he raced at Lions, when the track closed in '72 he retired the truck. I bought everything the following year.
    Anyway I was backing down the driveway and my old dog who was 15, deaf and almost blind had fallen asleep behind me and I didn't see her. I still remember the look on my dads face from inside the garage as the truck jumped up a little as I rolled over her. Bad day for sure.

The truck on the other hand was a blast! On the strip it ran 11:70s, I don't know what it ran on street tires.

27. I hit an aluminum extension ladder one night on the 101. It looked like a white line at first. When I got closer, I could see what it was but I was going too fast to swerve, so I gassed it, hit it hard and keep on going. The traffic behind me had to avoid the shrapnel.

28. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

A kitty with a slammed 63 ranchero when I was 18. He ran out of a side street and I couldn't stop! Didn't hurt the ranchero, but the kitty looked like a sausage when he came out from under the car!

29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Alligator alley in south Florida. I was driving a cab over with a double drop. The gator had been there for quite a while and I went right over it. It rolled up into a mess and stunk the truck up all the way to Brownsville Texas.
    Suicidal Jack rabbits. One waited till we were just abreast of it and jumped out.
    We felt it roll under the car and my wife's daughter, who is kinda a hysteric, FREAKS OUT because she feels it under her foot. I said not to worry because he's probably just fine. The next day they saw the remains on the rear wheel and had a big cry fest. Just hilarious. A friend had a jacked up F-250 4x4. He whacked a little poodle and went back to look for it. Didnt find it and went on. 4 days later he brings it over and said the truck stank and it had to be the dog. He couldnt look for it because he just lost his dog from childhood and was still sore about it. I pop the hood and look in all the usual places down low. That little sucker got tossed up and was draped around the brake booster.