Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

Before the Paint

I'm still trying to do some stuff before the paint goes on. I needed to cut out and fit the firewall wood. So rather than risk chipping the new paint I figured I'd do it now. I had a piece of walnut? faced plywood left over from when I built my 1914 REO speedster so I cut a rectangle out of it big enough to cover the firewall. I clamped it into position and reached in with a long scribe and traced around the inside of the cowl. Then I cut the thing out on the bandsaw. For the final fitting I mixed up some chalkline chalk and water and dabbed it on the inside of the cowl. A hundred fittings and sandings later the wood fit pretty good. Tomorrow I have to cut the wood to meet the footwell.

Jerry

Attached Files:

2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

"Firewall wood" is not a term you hear much, with wood being, well, susceptible to fire and all that. What will you finish it with to keep it from becoming an oil-soaked mess? Thick Polyurethane varnish maybe?

3. yonahrr

yonahrr

I forgot to answer.

No more mockups. It's go for broke from here on out. If things don't fit I'll slam them together with a big sheet metal screw!! :)

Jerry

4. yonahrr

yonahrr

What do you mean Wooden Firewall?

It's code, I tell you! I got the fire proof wooden firewall fitted to the footwell then I blew on some Bullseye Shellac. Did I mention it's made from the Lac Bug? This will protect and seal it until I put on some polyurethane. There will be a brass plate in the upper middle to hide where the gizmo that holds the hood hinge goes. I can just imagine all the neat stuff bolted to the firewall: spark plug holders, tools, electrics, Tesla Coil, oil can, ??? My brain was feverish with ideas so I started to cut out the dash board. That's when my 40 year old Craftsman Scrolling Jig Saw locked up. I stripped off the cover and saw the grease inside looked like wax. I hosed it down with Napa Chain and Cable Lube--another of my favorite products. Tomorrow I'll cut out the final shape on the bandsaw. The fit won't have to be that great since there will be a leather cushion running along the top of the doors and over the top of the dash. As for the layout of the gauges and doohickies--that will require many hours of contemplation.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  5. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Love it...when we doin a 0 to 60??

6. HA! Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Mr. Fusion?

7. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

I've been reading about and looking at pictures of this build for so long it feels like one of my kids. I'll have to carry a picture of it in my wallet when it's done. Keep up the good work.

8. Jerry, Brad54's Gear Jam is on May 11th... think you can have it ready for the strip by then :D?

9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Jerry, I finally found someone who has out done me on the scroll saw. I have a Black and Decker two speed that I bought in 1974 for $16.00 that is still cutting stuff and it doesn't even have a metal body...good old plastic.

I wouldn't worry about a wooden firewall. Take a piece of that wood and a piece of .030 aluminum and do a torch test on them and I think the aluminum will burn through faster than the wood and the wood will give you "warning smoke" whereas the aluminum will just surprise you when the flame comes through. Looking forward to seeing the beast all painted and put together. Keep at it, you are doing great! :D

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

11. That looked like the Brutus car with the BMW aircraft motor. Just awesome!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. genosslk

genosslk

I just went through all the pages of this build.... Great build and thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures and text.

13. yonahrr

yonahrr

Waiting for Godot

It's been raining all weekend. There's a desert of mud behind my shop. Someone should call the authorities. I finished fitting the dashboard and that's about all I can do with that. I'll give it a proper fancy shape during the final assembly but right now I'm not sure just where the steering column comes through. All the seams will be hidden with this and that. I called Bruce the painter. He's in middle Georgia hanging out. Said he'll be back Monday. The weatherman says Monday is sunny so that's off to the paint shop day--provided Bruce is back. But he said he would be. However, here in the South nuthin is certain until it happens. We'll see. Meanwhile, I tidied up the rear fender supports where the tail pipe comes through. I'm thinking a spring over top the pipe to secure the pipe yet give it room to wiggle. Check out my mud pictures. Someone really should call the authorities. Mmmmm ps--I really need to learn how to take an in focus picture.

Jerry

Attached Files:

14. yonahrr

yonahrr

The big day has arrived.

Well, one of them. I had to race around this morning pickup some metal roofing for an awning we're building over the entrance to a rental unit and by the time I got back I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough time to load up the bodywork, deliver it and get back in time to pick up the kids at school. After I got things loaded I realized I only had my cell phone to take a picture with. The body shop is Allen's Paint and Body. Not only is it the oldest paint and body shop in Cleveland Ga, it's one of the oldest businesses in Cleveland GA. If fact, Ed Allen, who owns the place, might be the oldest man in Cleveland GA. Probably not. But they've been painting my vehicles for a long time. Eddy, Ed's son, runs the frame shop. He straightened the Aveo. And Bruce, Ed's other son, is the painter. That's Bruce in the background. I think they were kind of excited to get something to work on other than the run of the mill insurance work. Yes, I made it back in time to pick up the kids.

Jerry

Attached Files:

15. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Jerry, I have been thinking.... That big field of mud behind your shop could have paid for painting your speedster. All you needed was two women that don't like each other much, a truck load of beer, someone to sell tickets and someone to sell the beer.... if you couldn't make money with that combination you need to reevaluate your business opportunities ;)

16. Way cool, Jerry. How long before the paint is done?

17. yonahrr

yonahrr

You are a promotional genius. I hereby appoint you vice president in charge of fund raising. Get to work. I'll be in my office if you need me.

Jerry

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

I don't want to pester the wizards while they're working, but I can't stay away too long. I'll stop in tomorrow for an update.

Jerry

19. yonahrr

yonahrr

Lesson learned

The old ways are best. Everyone told me to use straight to bare metal epoxy primer so I did. Well it's a good thing I had the pros at the Allen's do the body work. They noticed the epoxy primer did not adhere to the bare metal on several pieces of sheet metal. Okay, it was probably my fault in some way, but where I used plain old Rustoleum red primer, the paint was stuck like you wouldn't believe. From now on, it's Rustoleum red primer! The crappy epoxy is gone now. So is my bondo work. I should have just done the metal work and brought it straight to Allen's. Another lesson learned. I blasted some red primer on the fender brackets. They looked so good some passing trumpeters blew a fanfare.

Jerry

Attached Files:

20. yonahrr

yonahrr

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VCVyuxuQek8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Here's some Sunday morning entertainment.

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Love those old Max Sennett movies.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. afaulk

afaulk

I'm not sure how I've managed to miss this thread until now..... The skillset and dedication required to see a project like this thru until the end is mind boggling. I'm stoked when a good paint job is finished. By the way, remember what Jerry Clower said about eating Possum " Possum is good but I prefer a 10 oz. top sirloin". The same goes for Squirrels. Hmm....dual antennas with Squirrel tails, maybe?

23. not to late to go underslung....

sorry I snapped at the phrase "desert of mud"

")

24. yonahrr

yonahrr

Striptmus Prime

I mean strip it and prime. Yes, they took off all my so called direct to metal primer and put on their own. More blocking required. I may come down and help. Meanwhile I've been getting the main body ready and working on fender braces etc. Wait for the red.

Jerry

Attached Files:

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

I meant to say dessert of mud.

Jerry

26. jpgraphics

jpgraphics

great progress on this wonderful car!

JP

27. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Thanks for sharing the movie, Jerry! Those old silent ones are FUNNY!! Dynamite in the gas! ; ) Good luck on the Speedster too!!

28. Dapostman

Dapostman

Can't wait to see it in paint.

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

I suppressed my urge to go by the body shop on Friday and Monday. I'll stop by today. I did manage to paint the running boards and supports yesterday. Today, maybe I can get to the fender supports.

Jerry

Attached Files: