Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Riviera gets down

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lumpy, Oct 19, 2012.

1. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

Perfect, perfect.

2. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Really nice. There's a guy around here with a black Riv that is bagged and can scrape the ground. Looks pretty mean, not as nice as yours, though.

3. Anderson

Anderson

This is me being WAY to picky, I could stand to see it with a shorter tire. But damn it if there isn't a better looking '60's car that takes so very little to look so spectacular. And in black? You have a great car.

4. CptKaos

CptKaos

nice looking car, would be sweet with red wall tires

Larry

5. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree it does need smaller tires. I am going to have to drop a couple of sizes anyway to get rid of the rubbing on the inner fender.

Lumpy

6. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

Holly crap what a differance that makes! I love it.

7. Ebert

Ebert

Eroc, it really does drive great.....no bouncy stuff at all. I did my previous 63 with Jamco stuff and the same thing with this old girl.

I have been blessed to have had some cool stuff over the years, but I love the two Rivis I have had the BEST. Power, style, creature comforts and not much to do to them to be cool.

Sorry for the rant...
    E

8. jratz1966

jratz1966

just right, love the rivs on my list to own one day.

9. skywolf

skywolf

10. mt94ss

mt94ss

Looks 1k better! Those wheels are made for these cars!

I got the 3" Jamco springs but haven't installed them yet. My tires are 225x75x15 and hope they won't rub, what are yours? They do look a bit bigger.

Beautiful ride. Enjoy the crud out of it now. These Rivi posts keep us all motivated.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mt94ss my tires are 225-75-15 and they are too big. I hope to get some new ones on it before the snow flies and I post up what size I go with.

Lumpy

12. Beautiful Riv! I'm debating bags or springs. You might have sold me on springs. But, First things first. I have to pull the motor. Its my daily driver and the 401 is a little tired but runs good. But, I found a 65 401 bored 030, fresh rebuild from pan to carb, 340hp cam,balanced and the 400 trans for less than what it was gonna cost to rebuild my motor. Maybe a good rod project one day.
    How do you like the handling of your's? And what exhaust setup do you have?
    Here's mine
    [​IMG]

13. My new motor. I gotta have it shipped from my old mans place in Detroit to my place in LA. Then figure out where I can put it in. Its hard when you live in an apartment.
    [​IMG]

14. Your riv is also an earlier production car. The location of the side mirror is set further back like mine. Buick moved the location more forward later in 63 and all replacement skin would be in the forward location.
    [​IMG]

15. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine seems to steer and ride fine. Lowering it made it tighter which is not a bad thing for my car. The exhaust is all stock duals and the HUGE factory muffler. The exhaust is on my to do list its way to quiet now, I want to change it to something that has a low rumble at idle and just a powerful sound when on the go pedal not to loud. The sound of luxury performance if that makes sense?

Lumpy

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Lumpy - your cars sits absolutely perfect . A beautiful car !

17. Thats what I'm also looking for. I wonder how the GS exhaust sounds if you get rid of the resonators? I do like how they hug close to the frame. Mine is stock with all the weird bends and hinders ground clearance.

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Your Riv looks great, Lumpy!

Malcolm

19. A Model Art

A Model Art

Lumpy,
    Perfect stance and without bags. i saw Ryans car in Baltimore another good looking Riv.
    love your A-Model.
    Art

20. SIC98

SIC98

Nice lookin Rivi PRDDETROIT, that motor build is what I did to mine, good runner, have fun with it!..Brian

21. Thanks SIC,
    I got lucky with this riv. Searched long and hard and looked at a LOT of junk. A ton of people trying to hide, desquise and playing dumb about their cars for months. From rod knocks to rockers that I could have pulled off with my hand. But, months later this guy called me back and had to get rid of it after being burned by someone else. I originally found it on about the 20th page of a google search for a riv and it brought up a local PHX az sale page.
    I bought it from the second owner who put maybe 300 miles on it and put a carpet in it. He got it from the original owners wife who was in her 70's and maintained and drove the car up until she decided to sell. I imagine he got it super cheap ( Didnt ask) But, I also got a great deal on the car. Drove it home to LA and I've driven it from LA to Dearborn Mi and back and its my daily driver.
    Good cars are out there. Just takes a lot of patients and knowing what to look for.

And thanks again. I cant wait to get it the way I want it.

22. Hey Lumpy. How is your Riv ridin? I am about to purchase my springs and still debating 2 or 3 inch drop. Have you had any issues?
    I cant wait! June 30th we start the engine swap and suspension work. I'm shipping the car to Detroit and me, My old man and my future father in law and some friends are going to get it done and then I'm going to Drive it all the way back to LA in July.

Dave

23. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems to be doing just fine it settled about another 1/4 inch over the winter. I need to change out the tires for some smaller ones still. The ride has not changed since I dropped it still a touch tighter and an occasional clunk! to let you know its lowered.

Lumpy

24. I'm going to drop it 3 inches. Car looks great Lumpy

25. Ordered my springs today for my 63. Coil spring specialties. lowered 3 inches.
    And I have a BEST gasket kit coming for the new motor. Just need to get a rear end gasket for the new posi unit and a couple spring insulators and we'll be ready to put it all together.
    Cant wait. End of june

26. shs63riv

shs63riv

your riv is bad with the fat spokes...i just picked up a really clean 63 and gona do a lil drop on it!

27. Nice! Cant wait to see it.

28. Well, my Riv shipped out to Dearborn yesterday. My 3 inch drop springs showed up there today from coil spring specialties.
    We get started the first week of July. I will post detailed photo's of the engine, trans, rear end and suspension job as we do it.
    I'm very excited to be doing this with my old man, my soon to be father in law and some good friends.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome take a lot of pictures and keep us posted. Mine has develop a exhaust leak so I think I'm going to redo the exhaust from front to back and change the muffler too.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. I'm doing the same. I'm still debating what mufflers to get. Some glass packs are just to snappy for me. I like the tone of the Waldron mufflers but, I'm worried about clearance once its lowered. It's simular to the stock muffler in the way it hangs and my stock mufflers will be to close to the ground. And I want it to hug the frame instead of having all the weird bends the stock system does. But, I'm still going with a 2 inch pipe for the torque.
    What mufflers are you thinking about using Lumpy?