Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Barn find.. Little Christmas present to myself.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iFlip, Dec 24, 2012.

1. rick55

rick55

Glad you're keeping the YBlock. The 57 had all the best gear regardless of engine size. A B manifold with a 465 Holley, Edelbrock, etc., will really make a difference. Your engine should have G heads which were fitted to all 57's. you have the bigger exhaust manifolds, also from that year.
    Check out Yblocksforever.com they have the most comprehensive info on your engine. The 292 is a great street engine and all yblocks have a sound all their own.
    I see no one has deciphered your codes. I will check my manuals and post for you.
    Regards

2. rick55

rick55

Your codes you listed earlier decode as follows;

58a - Fairlane Town Sedan
    C - Dresden Blue
    E - Starmist Chain-Grain Vinyl and Blue Silver-Dash or Blue Flying-Dart Fabric.
    19N - 19th May (second year) 1958
    2072B - couldn't decipher this as there should be a single digit code under trans and axle
    If you post what is inner those two we can give you these figures also.
    The 57 was the first year for the 9" diff.
    Regards

3. Fidget

Fidget

Looking good. I am also glad you're keeping the Y block. I know it probably doesn't need to be said, but don't throw away anything! I was really surprised how much wasn't available for my 58.

4. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Maybe I'll keep this a little more updated since with the mobile app now lol.

Should have the motor back Thursday.just waiting for that really..

Put the Aerostar springs in, and 3 inch blocks in the back. She's sitting much more proper now :)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369178816.587243.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Little update, I've been driving the car daily. Put a little over 2000 miles on it since.

Put about 700 miles on the motor, then found out it wasn't oiling the passanger head at all. The machine shop went through it all again but didn't find anything major that caused it, but everythings been good so far(knock on wood) I'm just getting it ready to drive to Austin for LSRU now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Nice work, Cool car with family history, Can't get a better car.

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

8. Mart

Mart

iflip - worn cam bearings can cause the problem. I had this on my T-Bird. The cam wears into the bearing until the bearing material fills the groove on the cam that is supposed to pass oil to the heads. Once the groove is blocked there is no more oil going up to the top.

If you don't want to tear into the motor you could rig up one of those external oilers they used to sell for the y-block. Had one on my f100 and that worked ok. It might get you around until you decide to fix it properly.

I love the car by the way.

Mart.

9. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

The machine shop did say the cam bearings were already worn down to the copper after just the 700 miles, so i guess that's what it was. Good to know. It's been fixed properly so all seems good again. Realized i haven't put any pics of the motor up. Not the most pretty bay, but it gets the job done.

[​IMG]

Thanks guys! I appreciate it

10. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Looking good! Glad to see you got it back on the road and cruising it daily :)

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If it hasnt already been suggested,you might try some CLR to clean that rust off the quarter and trunk to make it look a little more uniform with the rest of the car until you can get it painted.
    Ive seen guys use it on here,so you might research it a little if you are interested.
    [​IMG]