Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by rudygoose, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Hello,

I grew up in Central Texas, under my Father's hot rod, and around some Central Texas giants in the sport circa 70's/80's. I have always been in love with old cars. Was somewhat away from the sport in body (not mind) for many years (college / business / family) but have returned and am making up for lost time!

My latest endeavor is the resurrection of the original “Doc Eiland / Shreve Automotive ’30 Ford Altered Drag Roadster”. My Father was the third owner of the car when I was 7 and I spent countless hours sitting in that car making what seems like 1000’s of imaginary trips down the drag strip. I have included a picture of me sitting in the car when I was 7 (1980), and a picture of the car in full race trim (Blown 303 Olds) from 1961.

I have to say from the onset, after many years of dreaming/preparing, this project could not have been possible without the support, encouragement, generosity and friendship of many, many wonderful, completely standup fellow Hot Rodders (most of them fellow HAMBers). Skot Ingram (most recent caretaker/donor of the original frame/chassis, Dave McClelland (NHRA legend, owner of another Shreve Automotive drag car - a Fiat), Donnie Hunter (4th owner of the car and as in love with the history of the car as I am), Paul Wright, Doc Eiland himself (original owner/builder), Russel Woolley (original Shreve Automotive principle), Billy Merkord, Eddie Bell and my Father, Dennis Moeller, are at the top of that list -- but there are SO many more.

I look forward to sharing more about this build and the history of the car with those that are interested. If you have any personal knowledge of the car or pictures, please let me know.

More broadly, I am glad to be squarely back in the fold. Like you all, I truly love these old cars!

Best,
    -Darren

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Welcome from Houston!

3. kalthans

kalthans
    from Dallas, TX

welcome from DFW! sounds like a noble project. look forward to following your progress!

4. Welcome from CT!

5. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

About time you showed up here! Welcome my friend!
    Donnie

6. Thanks Donnie...

7. Welcome from OKC.

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

welcome from new york and houston fella...

9. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Welcome from Long Island

10. Darren,

First off, Congratulations to your conversion from "Lurker" to "HAMBer"

Second, and this is for the folks who are just meeting you.....I'm so glad that you have taken on this Altered Roadster project with all of your enthusiasm and energy.....Folks he isn't building this to be a Cacklefest car to look at but to actually be able to make passes down the track, per it's heritage.....which I find as being COOL:cool: It is being reconstructed in it's purist form, a real Hot Rod Race car as it was.....with the main construction force by Paul Wright(who lives and breathes correct old period Hot Rods)

If any of y'all out there have any history or pictures of the Roadster, please contact Darren....any and all is appreciated.

11. Donnie,

The picture in your Avitar looks extremely familiar....so what's "your" connection to it??

12. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Hello and welcome from Tulsa.

13. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Welcome from MD

14. Thanks Skot! You and I will have to recreate this pic with your FED:

Attached Files:

15. castirondude

castirondude

welcome from Austin !!

16. belair

belair

Howdy, pard. Glad you're here.

17. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Skotz. I was lucky enough to be an owner of the car. The avatar pic is one of several taken the day after I bought it as a teenager from Darren's father in the mid 80s. More pics here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368825
    Always loved the attitude displayed in that pic. Like Darren, the car made such an impression on me and I always regretted selling it, especially after seeing it around town for so long after the body was removed and changes made to the chassis. And after years of seeing restored racecars at shows across the country, I can say it rivaled the best in looks and the level of finish. The cars next chapter is going to be great, and I am glad i was asked to and able to help provide some of the details needed to make it happen.

18. Donnie has been instrumental to this endeavor... can't thank him enough!

19. welcome from beaumont

20. Early Shreve ad...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  21. Darren,
    You're on!!!.....but I gotta tell you now....the little Flathead is gonna beat that ol "Overhead engine":eek:(overhead engines are overated, they will never catch on:rolleyes:)......hahaha

22. KKrod

KKrod

Welcome from Arlington.

23. Early carb'ed pic at either Mansfield, LA, or Pel State in Opelousas, LA

Attached Files:

24. Just a quick update: We are moving along... car is basically mocked up to chassis. 303 blown Olds nearing completion (will be running on alcohol). I was able to acquire THE original mag that was run in the original engine (as seen in the original pictures)... happy about that. Stay tuned...

25. abone1930

abone1930

Welcome :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Welcome from NC!

27. Engine done... will be fitting to car soon... :D

28. 392modela

392modela

Welcome to the hamb and hello from Wisconsin