Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rodding a Buick 215

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubbletopbuick, Oct 3, 2012.

1. reefer

reefer

Nice little motors.....Last week I was called to regas the ac system on a TVR Griffith that was getting some work done at a unit in the now closed down TVR factory.The car was from Denmark and the engine is one of the TVR prepped ones....this particular version kicked out over 400 BHP and the sound was unbelievable.They used to make 'em with the WC T5 box .
    If you've got a few minutes to spare and you enjoy speed ,go to youtube and tap in

.http://www.tvrmonster.co.uk/videomgchs.html

As for after market inlet manifolds, the two that were used over here on the Rover motors were the Offenhauser and the Huffaker, and most guys used the Holley 390 on the "stockish" sized motors.When I built my first car I used a stock Rover motor....I had my brothers mate who was the chief mechanic at the local dealers, rebuild it......I had no spare money to fit any uprated parts and ran it with the twin SU carbs.....it would rip rubber with ease and gave good mpg...they are a lot lighter than most V8 motors and two of us actually picked up the motor from the scrapyard, complete with auto transmission and all ancillaries, by the exhaust manifolds and put it in the back of my van.......we probably couldn't do it now though ha.

Valve covers ?.....a lot of guys bought laser cut adapters that enabled the Chevrolet ones to be used....basically an aliuminium profile that looks like the gasket with dual bolt holes added...or either covered the Rover script or had it filled and machined .....they look good polished up.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. Quaker Offroader

Quaker Offroader
    from Portland

I am running a Rover tuned 4.0 with a slightly more aggressive Crane Cam, the Edelbrock Intake, and a Holley Truck Avenger Carb. I have smoked little import cars thinking its a old low geared Military rig. This is in my 1976 Land Rover troop transport 2 ton Forward Control 101 GS. I'll try to post a pic of the sleeper.

3. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------
    Yep. It was used on the Oldsmobile
    version of the 215 that came with
    a factory turbocharger. The Olds;
    turbo versions came stock with
    a set-up that would spray a metered
    50-50 Water-Methanol mixture into
    the engine to control detonation
    when the engine was making
    boost pressure.'Back in the day'
    GM dealers sold containers of
    pre-mixed water and methanol
    'anti-detonation fluid' for use in
    these these engines complete with
    a GM part number on it, under
    the name "Jet-A-Way Fluid"
    Nowadays though, you'd have to
    mix your own! :)

Mart3406
    ================

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Not that you're gonna' run into
    one of these stashed away in the
    back corner of a boneyatd anytime
    soon (or ever for that matter!)....but
    just as yet another example of what
    has been done with these engines,
    racer Jack Brabham used his own,
    'destroked, to 2.5 liters', "SOHC
    Repco-Brabham" version of the 2i5
    Oldsmobile in Formula 1.

Mart3406
    ================

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. jimbousman

jimbousman

Here's what I am running on my 215. Stock valve covers powder coated with copper strip inlays and repo enameled grill medallions. The air cleaner is a '49 Ford pumpkin oil bath converted to paper filter with a base for a Q4 four barrel.

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  6. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

I was lucky enough to acquire this 215. I came out of a Bonneville car, but it's mild enough to be street able, once I convert the Hilborns to electronic. I have enough parts to build a track T, I think I'll do it!

Attached Files:

7. Beau

Beau

OOOOOOOOOOH MAN! Look at that engine! No water pump? Customer timing cover!!! Show us more!

8. Beau

Beau

Look what I bought today! Found it on CL, and for a great price! The guy gave me a 1/3 off the price because "erevyone that called didn't show up"....Hahahaha. Yeah. Every person I know with a 215 would have left for this one!

Edelbrock 2-2 intake with twin Holley 2110 two barrel downdrafts. I'm beyond excited to find of these rare things, and it's complete!

edel.jpg edel1.jpg

Attached Files:

9. I have a very unique intake for the aluminum Buick/Olds motor.It uses 2 Zenith carbs(looks like a big S.U.) back to back at about a 30-35 degree angle to each other.Everything looks in great shape and the air cleaners say WEIAND of Australia.$250 includes shipping to CONUS. Contact flatheadjohn47 Texas 979-595-7324,I need your e mail to send pics.

Beau likes this.
  10. Beau

Beau

I have one too. They came off Land Rover Defenders and Triumph TR8's. Pretty common and that prices seems fair
    roverintake2.jpg roverintake.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  11. A good friend of mine on the landracing.com boards made me aware of this thread. Right now, I'm in the process of putting together a 215 Bugeye, which I'm referring to as "The Pom Rod". 215 Buick, a stock 4 barrel manifold which was welded up and machined for a Holley 390 spread bore, a 300 degree cam, custom headers, an old T50 5 speed, 10 bolt rear end. Here are some pics . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went with the machined stock manifold in order to hopefully prevent having to poke a hole in the bonnet, but that TR8/Zenith setup looks pretty low profile as well.

12. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

I have just what you need for this project. Buick 8.jpg PM me I'd love to see this go to a good home.

Lil'Alb, kidcampbell71 and Beau like this.
  13. Geez, tltony, I'm already sitting on three of 'em, but I do like the injection.

Once the Sprite is together, I'm thinking I'll rebuild my Olds 215 and slide it into my MGB, or possibly a Morris Minor panel van.
    I have been tracking this one, though. Destroked to 2 liters, 9500 RPM capability. Kinda frightening, I think . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-215-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3aa4d457b6&vxp=mtr

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  14. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

Very sweet project! I was looking at a sprite on craigslist a while back and thought it would be perfect to try dropping a 215 in.

15. Beau

Beau

I have drooled over that engine for a while. Wish I had the money. :(

I got my Olds 215 fired up today. I found three more Olds engines but the guy wants a $1000 each, and thinks they are from 1951. :) I have a few stock four barrel intakes if you want a stock one for the Sprite. I need a harmonic balancer and whatever other parts you don't want!

16. Beau

Beau

transdapt.JPG
    I just scored this old Trans-dapt bellhousing on ebay!!!!!Weird old piece!

17. jimbousman

jimbousman

2016-10-04 15.49.10.jpg 2016-10-04 13.49.53.jpg 2016-10-04 15.47.48.jpg Been a while but after a few setback I'm back to building my ride. Attached is a photo of my 215 Buick. Tons of internal work plus a few special touches. Not on the motor is the NOS Malory Black cap dual point distributer. Headers are both left side cast iron Rovers, D&D bell housing, T5 five speed.

Then second photo is the engine in my chassis. Lots to do yet but making progress.

In_The_Pink and kidcampbell71 like this.