Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;are you done yet?!! ANRA opener is April 19-21,you going to be ready?!!!! My F350 should be finished Monday[I HOPE}!!! ROY.

2. Got everything all plumbed and tested by turnin on the fuel pump. No leaks from the lines, but the rollover breather valve has a slight drip. I don't think the ball valve is deep enough in the tank to fully seat the ball when gas fills the tank, that is the valve is sticking out of the tank.. Still waiting on a drive belt, those gilmer belts don't come in the size I need.. About 25" so I found a tractor supply place that has something I think will work, it's 24.80" inches... If I get the belt by Monday or Tuesday then I should be able to go this weekend

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Well,we made A LOT of smoke and noise tonight!! Got Mike's Falcon fired up but it is A LONG way from right!! Fouled the plugs,found a jet missing,made some adjustments to make it run,need to spend more time with some more knowledge and/or more knowledgeable help!!!We didn't blow anything up or burn anything down so I guess all was not lost!!!! ROY.

4. Yea... Note to self, aim the exhaust out the garage not back into it! That was like topfuel rich! But we are getting closer...some more tuning and hilborn knowledgeable people and we will get it.

5. Muttley

Muttley

Well, at least you wont have any pesky mosquitoes hanging around your place for a while.

6. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Well, it sounds like we both had our issues! But, it sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction, Mike!

We fired off the ''little'' Windsor today, after some false starts! Your 750 HP proves to be the right carb, but we comepletely dismantled it, after a rear float sank in the intial few seconds of start-up, totally drowning the engine with the overflow from the vent tube. Talk about a death gargle!!! But, after robbing parts from the 850 I brought, a few new power valves, and a re-jet, and it was on its way to a long break in. Copper gaskets are interesting to deal with as well. It needs a few more tweaks, before it comes home .Soon!!!

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Awesome looking B/FX ....... !

8. Well instead of a nozzle change I went with a fuel change. The E85 likes a bigger nozzle like the ones already installed and at 3.69 a gallon not too bad on wallet... The only problem is I went through about 3 gallons in 30-45 minutes of tuning! Got it to idle and rev. Before on gas it was like a wild animal, now I am control of it. Tomorrow I will get more gas, do a little more tuning, set the timing and hopefully make a test drive!
    [​IMG]

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;keep an eye on your oil!!! Alky will dilute it and it attracts water!Plus you need to make sure your fuel lines are compatible with alky!! ROY.

10. According to all the reading I've done E85 is ethanol and not corrosive like alcohol aka methanol. It does not eat aliminum or rubber either. I will check the oil tomorrow but it should be good

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I was basing my info off of all the new products[hoses,filters,etc.] that are being produced to handle E85 in older cars. ROY.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Ohhh...... that is going to be a fun and fast ride Mike!

13. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

That sounds SWEET ! Great install ! Your gonna have a lot of fun with that !

Rooster

14. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Oh ... Mike .... that's NICE.

15. 65COMET

65COMET

It is getting pretty close! Mike and I had to make a new,relocated timing pointer and remark the dampner,couldn't see the original timing marks,too many lines in the way!! The timing was close but we got it better now,made a huge difference in how it ran.The engine seems to like that E85 Ethanol!!! ROY.

16. No more vinyl decals! And a new surge tank with a holley float bowl. The other one was so pressurized with no fuel regulation or vent, it would not let fuel return to it, holding it in the engine causing a super rich condition
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mike, why no more decals?

18. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mike, why no more decals?

19. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I'm sure you already have, but you want to make sure your engine oil hasn't gotten contaminated with fuel.

20. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"It does not eat aliminum or rubber either."

That may be what they would like you to believe, ask about it the next time you visit a small engine shop.

21. Motomike43

Motomike43

I love FX cars. Sweet build.

22. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Mike are you getting hand painted lettering? Glad you found the problem! Keep us informed.....Al

23. You guys figured it out!! Here's a sneak preview!! The oil is milky, I am going to change it with the new set up and see what happens. Everything I have read on E85 says it does not contaminate like alcohol, guys have left a piece of rubber, aluminum and braided line in a jar of E85 for over a year with no corrosion... We will see hopefully the research is right.
    [​IMG]

24. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Ah ... looking good. You already know I'm a fan of hand lettering ... nicely done.

Paul

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;is he finishing today[Friday]?Looks great so far!! ROY.

26. Yes he is working on it now, I bin a training class today, he said he should be done this afternoon, my dad is over there if you want to stop by

27. Finished!! And yes there is pink in my car, my daughters name!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;looks GREAT!!! ROY.

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

The lettering is Spot-On Mike.
    Excellent choice,