Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spirit of South Dakota LSR lakester/rear enigine roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Dyce

Dyce

Looking good Trent!! Lots of work enginering a car like this. Looks like progress to me.

2. Humm it should be cold up there time to warm the garage and get to work???????

3. Carl, the problem has not been the cold, the Black Hills get great winter weather, had 60s and 70s on my weekends off so I have been working on the house.

But, here is a little progress. Started on the turbo manifold using cast steel Weld Els, these things are NICE! Madcad has a Holset turbo for us, we decided to do Blown instead of NA. Also became a dealer for Lefthander chassis (thanks for the tip Bass!) and got my axles, tubes and caliper brackets for the QC rear end!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Lookin great Trent was just thinking of you today and wondering how it was going...........

5. Dyce

Dyce

Turbo!! Now you're talking!!! Even if you don't break any records you'll at least have fun. I'm looking forward to see the piping:)

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Awesome. Wanna share some more details on the the engine setup?

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Looking Good Trent! You've been busy since we last talked. Things muchly improved in Oklahoma so hope to get out and around this year.

8. Getting some work done I see. Is that why I didn't get a call from you yeaterday? Feeling neglected. Keep up the good work!

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Just keeps looking better!

10. You will have to ask 6inarow/Tom. He is sourcing the engine. I am not expecting to do much with the engine this year, Tom is busy relocating to this end of the state so I know he will be busy getting settled.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Having had some experience with a turbocharged GMC in the 70s and 80s I am here to say "You will like it". I used two Corvair TRW "F" series turbos and a 800 Holley. Ran good enough to get banned from vintage classes.

12. For Rich. internally wastegated Garrett turbo. Intercooler will be laid out behind the turbo ala Speed Demon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to figure out where to pull the vacuum signal for the wastegate from?

13. Nice, what's it off of?

14. 7.3 Ford, bigger mill than we have but we will be spinning it at almost double the rpm than it is used to. Going to run a Quick Fuel blow through carb since I sell those.

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

great thread.....you guys carrying the torch are the "real deal".
    I'll be there when it makes it's first run, whether it be El Mirage or Bonerville........:):):)

16. I would be honored! Thanks.

17. As per out conversation while I was doing open hood Android surgery, ditch the built in waste gate. The stock one is tuneable to a degree but there is a possibility of "boost creep" if it can't bypass enough exhaust pressure.

I have dual Tial 40mm wastegates on mine, you could do with a single. With an aftermarket WG you can do a few things with boost controlers, even stage the boost level with the gear you are in or even as a traction control...

The main trunk of the header should be stepped up in diameter as you join in the the tubes from other ports.

Have a look at these

Tman likes this.
  18. Thanks Steve, this is a ton of fun. Gotta look up some Weldbend reducers to transition the log design into a bigger diameter. I knew when I tore into the WG that is was too restrictive. Never knew you were using Tials.

19. I have all the high end gear, including the TiAl blow off on the intake.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. I forgot to reply until now. Some of that engineering is thanks to you loaning me those two books! Required reading. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  21. Will post some shots but I AM stepping up the header log, got started on it last night.

Also, you think I could simply tap the old WG port and thread in a plug? Or just lock the gate shut?

Thanks again Steve, I will try and give you a ring this weekend.

22. I would just lock it shut.

Those housings see enough heat cycling and stress that I would be afraid of cracking and possible failure.

23. Good call, easy solution.

24. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey Trent, Sorry I havent contributed much. Too damn much travel. I hope we are in Caputa this summer. Anyhow, I havent forgotten. I have cams, and I'm sure GMC Bubba will help on the ignition. so keep me in the loop and I think I can score the remaining parts this summer. Thanks for the call last night

25. Tom, you are an easy victim on Thursday nights, I know you are on the road!!!!

Thanks for teaming up with me. Will be nice to have you guys finally settled out here.

On a new note, Madcad here on the board (THANKS TIM!) sent us another turbo, a Holset that may even be a better match for the engine. I am diggin up compressor maps and will be back on the phone with ElP and Beef Stew, both of who have been providing long distance guidance.

26. Almost a roller?

Lots of great support at Jays Midwest HAMBQ this last weekend. You guys are really great friends, new and old! Who would have thought a vacation dodging blizzards to Kansas could be so fun and inspiring!@

[​IMG]

27. Here is the future of hotrodding! Taken at jays BBQ!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have no fear boys and girls, this will not die!

[​IMG]

28. Looks good. What steels are you using in the frame?

29. SCTA prefers mild steel. These things are overbuilt to the Nth degree and no issues with Cromo welding.