Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 model A running on diesel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by przybyl28, May 1, 2012.

1. przybyl28

przybyl28

finally got the car fired up today !! connected a couple of car batterys to it .. one to the glow plugs for about 15 seconds jus to get them hot an then another one to all the wiring .. took a load of cranking to actually get it to start but we got there in the end .. the video quality is awful .. i filmed it on my phone but you get the basic idea of how the car idles an sounds .. i'll try an get a better video soon !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10tflKV7lX0&feature=youtu.be

2. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

It´s alive, congrats...

3. przybyl28

przybyl28

Cheers man !!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Now I can add it sounds good.

5. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This is a really cool build! I love it and would build one just like it!
    Ya did a great job.
    Paul

6. gerry miller

gerry miller

Good job . Sounds really strong. I wonder how much stronger it will pull down the road? Congrats on a great swap.
    Gerry

7. Very cool and offbeat build. This is truly "traditional" in the sense of putting an engine in something that was not at all designed for that engine. Best of luck on your maiden voyage in your Diesel Ford!

8. przybyl28

przybyl28

Cheers everyone for the support ive had so far in this build ! Hopefully should easily be on the road by 3 weeks time from now !

9. castirondude

castirondude

sorry if I missed it somewhere but what is the HP rating of your engine, is it turbo charged? Have you driven it yet?

I put this Isuzu engine in my '28 dodge and at 58 HP I find it a bit anemic, top speed is about 60 mph. Trying to decide if I should turbocharge it or find another engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  10. I don't think that video is bad at all. Sounds good and looks even better. Congrats!

11. Fenders

Fenders

Well I only read the first page but don't understand this diesel engine shit, it was common practice back in the day to start a Model A on gasoline in a small tank then switch the tank over to kerosene in the main tank (kerosene = diesel fuel) for economy.
    No it wasn't a compression ignition engine but the A engine could run on kerosene.

12. przybyl28

przybyl28

Yeaah my engines got a turbo. Apparently theyre about 75 horsepower. But if i find it too slow i suppose i could always put a bigger turbo on or something

13. przybyl28

przybyl28

What do you mean you dont understand the diesel engine shit ?
    thats the exact same reason im doing mine with a diesel engine ? But i want it to be reliable as its my daily driver?
    I thought it was a pretty simple idea

14. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Do not mess with the turbo size or you may regret it. As soon as you change the size of the turbo you may find it could use more fuel. That engine was designed to use that turbo the best way to get better performance or economy will be gearing. With Diesels the turbo will give the best performance at peak torque. If you fit a bigger turbo it takes longer to speed up so then burns more fuel.

15. dad-bud

dad-bud

Congrats przybyl29, I am so pleased you have got your coupe running. The diseasel is a perfect selection for an engine to use in a rod in the UK. Fuel costs are so much that folks in the US would be trading in all their spare guns and have to cut down to only 20 Big Macs a day - oh, the horror!!!!!!!!
    Ignore all the naysayers who will never get it - they can run 8mpg in their big blocks and think they are livin' the dream, and no one else can possibly have any enjoyment like theirs.
    Your little coupe is exactly what rodding is about. You can afford to drive it without having to sell a kidney, it looks awesome and I am just pleased for you.
    Let us know where the show you're aiming to debut is, so we can come and have a look. (I'm livin' in London at the moment and could do with a fix of decent cars).
    Cheers.

16. Great job - you should be proud of what you've acheived in such a short time.

17. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I don't recall seeing what transmission you have if a 3,4 or 5 speed but if it's a overdrive you shouldn't have any trouble

18. jcillch

jcillch

Dadbud, I love you.... You just hit the American reality button... Diesel is the coming wave. Like it or not. To bad there are not more like minded people.

19. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

You will find many tinkering with Diesel just keep in mind the HAMB does not take Diesel onboard as traditional. Even if you build a traditional looking Rod with a Diesel it takes some time to be accepted or not. I have seen a few Diesel topics here closed and just as many accepted into the fold (this one included as accepted).

I have a Cummins in my 48 F4 and have the LPG (propane injection) and from that I have found many like minded that have Diesel in the blood Rodders.

If it has a 5 speed then it will be eat your cake and keep it too. Best of both worlds with torque and fuel economy.

20. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

21. Wow, talk about a negative stereotype...that's like us sterotyping Brits for rotten teeth and the inability to cook edible food. And all Aussies for being drunken louts living in the Outback.

And, gas will never get to the point where I give up my "spare" guns, thank you! You guys seem to be keeping McD's in business over there, as well, so...

Far as this Diesel A goes, I think it's cool as hell!

22. przybyl28

przybyl28

cheers i appreciate all the praise ! im so pleased people are all liking this project !

errm well im trying to debut the car at a local town fesival near me in may ... but ideally i'll have the car at all the big drag race events cos my little bro races a jr dragster .. stuff like dragstalgia, nostaliga nationals and the main event for sure :D! soo if your still in england by then it'll be there ! how long are ya staying for ??

23. przybyl28

przybyl28

its got a manual 5 speed type 9 gearbox in it, with a quaife rally shift lever ! soo should be fun .. apparently the one ive got ..being out of a commercial vehicle it has a lower first gear ratio too than the car ones.. i guess that could be interesting too ? i'll jus have to find out :cool:

24. joe little

joe little
    from UK

way cool mate, looks spot on and I certainly aint against the diesel engine.

will keep an eye out for this at the nos nats and the hrd's

25. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

car looks great with the tire/wheel selection.. Good thing you didn't chop it--it's perfectly proportioned..

[​IMG]

26. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

I agree with hemifalcon about the wheels and tires. What size are they, and what vehicle did they come from?

27. przybyl28

przybyl28

I'll be honest. I havent got a clue what the wheels are ! I picked them up from a swap meet . All i know is that theyre. 15's .. With a ford bolt pattern ive asked around a bit but nobody seems to know ! Soo im clueless

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding young sir.Keep up the good work.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Nice clean install looks great! Good job!

30. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Congratulations! Such a nice car! I love the diesel, it makes total sense for me.

And please stay with the fenders and don't ever think about a repaint! It has such a nice patina.