Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Coupe de Ville hydramatic issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis62, Apr 23, 2013.

1. denis62

denis62

Got this 1960 Cadillac Coupe de Ville last fall and drive it for a couple of week; drove great othe than carb issues.

After redoing the carb last week, I drove it around the block for about 1 mile without the TV rod hooked up(brain fart, I know, bad idea)
    Of course it didn't shift out of second. It just reved up like it fell in neutral.
    Reattached the TV rod but still no shifting.
    Looked up adjustment procedures, played with it back and forth... no shifting. Goes in reverse and drives of the line fine.
    Note that the Hydramatic is diferent in 60-64 than previous years.

Did I screw up the tranny driving it just around the block without the TV attached?
    HELP !!
    any Hydramatic gurus out there ?

thanx ahead for any help

2. Don't know about 1960 hydro but later GM trannys will act like that if the vacuum modulator line is not attached.

3. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

X2 on the vacuum line to the modulator. Since you just rebuilt the carb might've forgot to attach it or it's attached to the wrong port.

I'm no transmission expert but that rod is probably for kickdown - shouldn't hurt the tranny, just won't shift into "passing gear".

4. denis62

denis62

these tranny have no vacuum going to the tranny.
    And the TV rod is not just for kickdown, it controls the whole shifting.