Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Chevy subframe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopper526, Dec 8, 2010.

1. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Hey Carl, real good talking to you tonight. Thanks for the help. Just one question; how are you able to post on the HAMB, talk to me on the phone and work on the trunk latch all at the same time?

2. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Just a little thing I learned in the Army, How to Video from a far. Check this out

[​IMG]

3. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Carl, you are THE MAN!! Thanks, Carl, but I really would have gotten to it..........eventually:D. Watching this just makes me realize I have to invest in a camera! Thanks again Carl, I really appreciate it. Jim

4. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Well, now that it's running I have to make it driveable. I'm going to work on getting a windshield and I think I may try my own exhaust. I can't drive this thing around with open headers..........or can I? Maybe just a little. Thanks again, Carl.

Attached Files:

5. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Jim
    It's looking great, Im sure your loving it now more then ever, Don't forget the insulation on the floor. Its like sitting in a frying pan in the summer. Keep up that fine work. Lets get some cool videos on here.

6. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Looks cool! I like the video.

7. You can do your own exhaust. Started out with some "J" tubes. Just fitted it together one piece at a time. I used 2 1/4" tubes. If I could do it over I probably would have used 2 1/2". I'm running a mild 283. Tacked everything together and then finished welded it.

Attached Files:

8. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Looks good T, I'm definitely gonna try it.

9. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

OK, I don't always want to sound like I'm crying but once again, cash is short for the coupe. So, until I get some capital, I am working on stuff that doesn't cost anything. My brother gave me a nice third row seat out of a Windstar he used to own. It was a little too wide in the front, so I took off the upholstery, made some cuts, welded it up and VOILA! perfect fit! Then I lowered the seat mounts and adjusters by shaving them down a little, and I moved them in towards the middle of the seat a little more, that way they wouldn't stick out the front and you wouldn't see them either. I drilled some holes and mounted it up. Now I have a very comfortable, adjustable seat that fits the coupe well.

The other thing I did (sorry no pictures) was to make flanges that fit the 3 1/2" collector of my header since I want to run the exhaust under the car. To do that I took a 6" length of 3 1/2" exhaust pipe, split it down the middle, squeezed it together so it would fit into my header collector. Then I welded the flange to the pipe and welded up the seam in the pipe that I had split. I ground it down for a smooth fit and hammered it back into the header collector for a super tight fit. Now I will have something to bolt the rest of the exhaust to.

Attached Files:

10. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Haven't posted anything in a while and it's been a little slow, so a quick update. I cut a template for the windshield and hope get one this week. I have done a lot of welding and grinding inside the passenger compartment to try and finish that off. I welded up some holes in the dash, including some from an old radio, that I won't be using, I inposted some pics. I also hope to order some exhaust parts, I am dying to get this thing on the street.

Attached Files:

11. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Haven't posted in some time, but since Christmas I got my exhaust done, I am insured and registered. The last job I need to complete to make this car streetable, is the wiring...........and that's where I hit a roadblock, and I need your help.

Let me preface this request by saying, there is probably a simple solution to my problem and I feel a little stupid asking this, but here goes.....
    I am wiring up my coupe using a "Keep It Clean" harness. I am trying to wire up the tail lights. The tail lights are 1948 Chevy, single bulb/double filament, so there are two pigtails (one black, one green) on each bulb.
    The wiring harness provides one wire for each; R/R turn signal, L/R turn signal, park lights, brake lights. OK, so I assume the park lights are run in series to the black wire on the bulbs. The turn signals are run individually to either green wire on the bulbs. My dilemma......how do I run the wire for the brake light?
    If I run a single wire in series to both tail lights, when I flip on a turn signal won't it backfeed to the other turn signal as well?
    I hope I descibed this well enough for you guys to understand. I want to get this right before I start cutting and splicing.
    BTW, the schematic that comes with the wiring harness shows seperate bulbs on each circuit.
    Thanks in advance, guys!! Jim

[​IMG]

12. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I hate wiring, Drinking rt now so not sure, I'm on vacation and was supposed to go to Pa and visit ya but I guess another time as my trailer is not done. I still have 4 weeks left. As for the wiring get in touch with the provider. See what they say. If you want to do it this weekend better call them in the morning. cool? BTW it was liike a killer day today here in Ga and I was out ripping up the roads, Hope to see ya you out there soon.

Carl

13. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I did get some stripes on my dash when I was in Fla a few weeks ago at Billet Proof, I will post ya some picks. The 31 ran great. 17 MPG. came home in the rain with cheater slicks, no wipers and open scoops. Nice ride, Heheheheh

14. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Sorry you didn't make it up here, Carl. Yea, I guess my best bet is to give them a call instead of frying something. Hopefully I'll be moving this weekend.

15. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

17MPG????
    White knuckles the whole way home?

16. Hi I am building a 31 chevy sedan and used 1,5 x 3 for the siles ,they workrd out on mine. you can go over to the site for termites and bowtiesto see some other early builds gusy are doing. nice to see another early chevy coming back to life,, Bruce

17. vette59jdwl

vette59jdwl

I do not know how far along you are on your build But moose over on Rusty Bowtie's had a great idea Also a few guys over there that did there early chevy's in metal vette59jdwl

18. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Jim
    How about some updates man!! You got her done yet? I just put a new top end on my ride. I should post some updates.

19. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Hey Vette, yeah I talked to Moose and Ghost a few times and got some great help and ideas. The subframe, I think, turned out well and I replaced all the wood with 1" square tubing and it wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be.
    BTW, I saw your posts over at Rusty Bowtie. Good bunch of guys there, too.

20. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Hey Carl, Happy New Year buddy!! The car is up and running, though I had a small setback in the fall when the alternator bolt snapped off in the block. Not too bad, just had to take the front end apart to get access to the bolt, although it took me a couple months to get around to it. I am getting ready to prime it, block it and hopefully paint it in the spring. I have been working a little on the interior and the wiring is 95%. I also won a trophy at a local car show for "Best Under Construction". I think they should call it "Still needs alot of work".

21. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Carl, I just looked at that video, man that is sweet!! It sounds like a monster and I love watching the linkage alongside the blower!! Very nice.
    What's your e.t., so I know if I got a chance?