Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving without Strut Rods installed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubbletopbuick, Apr 23, 2013.

1. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

How important are strut rods for normal driving? Interstate and local driving.
    Cant find replacements (the threads on mine are stripped) so im wondering if i can drive without any installed. Its a 60 Comet.
    I am thinking it may not handle as good but should be ok...

Any thoughts?

2. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I certainly wouldn't drive it. Think of the forces on the lower control arm when you brake! At the very least there would be some crazy steering In put when those arms moved back, even a little.

3. Fenders

Fenders

4. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Absolutely do not drive it!

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

6. Voh

Voh

How similar are they to the Mustang ones if at all?

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Very foolish to drive without the strut rods installed properly. Stu

8. BobMcD

BobMcD

Don't drive it. The strut rod is a critical part of the suspension.

9. My thoughts !
    What I'm about to say may seem harsh but its for your own good .

You are here by forbidden from doing your own thinking !

If and it's a big IF you do happen to make it out of the driveway because it probably wont roll 50 feet. The first time you touch the brakes the lower control arms will fold right under.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Oh. My. God. You are not serious, are you? Don't move that car an inch. Fairlane are the same, and I THINK Mustang are as well. Concourse Parts should have them, off the top of my head, but NAPA has been able to get anything we need for our '68 Mustang.

Brian

11. Believe it or not the major automobile manufactures poured millions of dollars into the design of suspensions and if it wasn't nessassary they would spend the money to fabricate and install them. HRP

12. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Don't drive it, the lower control arm bushing will not take the torsional force long before it begins to wear and possible crack and bend your lower control arm backwards. Very bad idea. Find a replacement, it shouldn't be too hard as I think they are shared with the mustang.

13. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Please remove all sharp objects from your possession..You are going to hurt yourself!

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If you can't find replacements, buy a couple of high grade bolts with the right diameter and thread, cut the bolt heads off and your strut rods, make a sleeve to go over the joint and weld 'em up.

15. Here is direct results of when a strut rod breaks at the finish line. One totaled out car. :mad:

Attached Files:

16. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

This cannot possibly be a serious question.

17. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Find the strut rods on a parts car.. Or--if you want to stiffen things up without the rubber bushing on the front of the Comet/Falcon strut rods--build some with heim ends and big bolts.. Don't be an idiot.. The Falcon/Comet/Mustang front ends are all very "wimpy" and I agree along the way with all the previous posters..

18. Mojo

Mojo

I have a ponycar, and a few years ago the bushings at the strut rods fell apart. The car was extremely exciting to drive. Every time I hit the brakes, it would try to change lanes. That was less than a inch of play.

19. badshifter

badshifter

I remember that car. Jeff's son driving it?

20. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

This is why I asked the question! I havent driven the car with out them.
    thanks for all the advice, i will just get the threats recut. some local custom hot rod shops recommended that if i cant find replacements.

21. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

the car did have some pull when it went over uneven road surfaces and the strut bushings are shot so that must have been part of the reason. I just put on all new steering gear and getting an alignment done. those strut bars were my last hurdle...*fingers crossed*

22. You can't get an alignment with shot bushings or buggared threads!
    See my other post

23. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

I realize that. I have new bushings.

24. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

For no logical reason I lost one bolt that attaches the strut arm to the lower control arm, this caused the other bolt to shear off. Upon braking the truck jumped right. WAWAZAT?? Pulled over and finally figured it out. Closest gas station loaned me some lift time and put in temporary bolts. Got it home and fixed it properly. Bottom line----Fix it before you drive it!! BILL RINALDI

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Nah, you don't need no stinkin' strut rods! Those engineers were just being overprotective when they designed them that way.

Seriously, turn off the engine, step away from the car, and get yourself some junkyard strut rods immediately. Don't forget a fresh wheel alignment to go with them.

26. 63comet

63comet

This would be an excellent time to swap to adjustable strut rods with heim joints at the front. If you wind up having a shop rethread your existing rods it would only be a little more work to make the additional modification.

Before trying non- Comet/Falcon parts do double check. I understand that over the years lengths and maybe the angle of the plate at the LCA end may have changed?

27. castirondude

castirondude

BTW my '59 edsel (ford) wagon doesn't have strut arms, I guess they just made the a arms strong enough? (I haven't driven it yet)
    The bushings on the lower a-arms are certainly very tight

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

28. 63comet

63comet

The Falcon type suspension does not have lower A-arms. It has a straight lower control arm with a single bushing at the frame. The strut rod forms the third segment of the triangle.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Unfortunately, I am willing to bet that it is. They walk/drive among us!!:eek:

30. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Why do you need to adjust them??? :confused:

I'm thinking that moving the lower arm back or forewards from its neutral position will only bind the small inner bushing.
    Wheel alignment adjustments are intended to be made at the upper control arm.

I can see this mod as a useful tool to have on a track car but not so much on a car that sees a lot of on road use.