Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '56 Chevy 3100 project - hard time choosing paint color... See RENDERING:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

The sway bar is off a '57 Chevy panel delivery. The mounts are stock and are held on at the ends of the front U-bolts. I had to re-insert bolts to hold the bushing collars on, but I like how clean and simple the stock set-up looks.

2. 4444Design

4444Design

looks like a real cool project

will follow

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thanks!

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Engine compartment is super clean dude ! Awesome

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thank, Hows yours coming along?

I spent this weekend reconstructing the lower hinge pocket...what a chore. There has to be 10 different junctions of folds, laps, curves, corners, etc. in that area. I rented a Miller Migmatic 140, which helped a lot, but welding new thinner gauge steel to older, somewhat rust-pitted steel isn't all that easy.

Also welded up the hood emblem and side emblem holes and welded the stress cracked corners of my hood. I should be able to get the front group bolted back on here really soon...can't wait to get it all wired, plumbed and fired up.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Gettin there.... Im waiting on a bolt kit for the entire truck. Ill mock everything up just to make sure it all lines up. Do a tad more welding, tear it down to the frame. Square the motor away with the new heads and 3x2, paint everything and re assemble it all. Then drive the wheels off !! Hahaah hopefully

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. 1959apache

1959apache

You should have said something, I would have let you have the inner hinge pocket for cheap and you could have been done. If you still want it, it is yours, just pm me.

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL, I'm not going down that road again, but this does learn me a lesson...I'll ask first next time.

9. dubie

dubie

i thought I'd check in and see how things are going on your truck bud.

10. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm pretty bad at posting updates.

Since my last post I've; mounted the radiator, assembled and installed the front clip, aligned the doors as good as possible for now, repaired an old chrome grille and installed it, painted the bumper brackets, repainted and installed two new horns (one high and one low, so sounds loud and good), and started to wire and mount my amplifier.

I still need to install the bed pads and bolt it down, wire the new distributor and coil, install the headlights and get the hood ready for install.

Slow but steady. My plan is for the end of this month for a local downtown car show...I'll enter mine as a project in progress.

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

Photo updates; front group assembled and installed and waiting for hood:

[​IMG]

Also mounted the coil and ballast resistor on the back of the intake. Still plan on changing the air cleaner lid to a more traditional hat.

Plan on greasing the zircs, filling the rear differential and bolting down the bed tomorrow after work. Hope to have all exterior lights installed and functioning before this weekend.

Attached Files:

12. hey buzznut love that color thats similar to a color i was looking at

13. dubie

dubie

man that sure cleaned up nicely. Is that just a tinted primer or a flattened paint? Do you have any shots of the entire truck? And did you get your stance adjusted the way you wanted it to sit?

14. olpaul

olpaul

A satin midnight blue body with a metalflake off white top. Just saying...

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

BTW, just so you guys know, the coil is actually an MSD Blaster 2.... I was going to paint it and when I was degreasing it to prep for paint the factory red paint started coming off revealing an aluminum body. I decided to used 0000 steel wool to create a brushed aluminum surface. I like it better than the black I was going to paint it, and definitely better than the red it used to be.

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thanks! This isn't going to be my final color, but she will wear it for at least a couple years. Final color, when time and budget allow, is a deep forest green with gold pearl and metalflake.

It's a little of both. The tinted epoxy is on the inner fenders and upper and lower grill supports, the primer/rustoleum is on the rest. The fenders and hood were so bad that they didn't warrant epoxy since I'll be replacing them one piece at a time. The truck hasn't moved under it's own power since last fall, so no shots of it out from under the tarp-garage yet. Stance is better since I bolted all the sheetmetal on and it ended up getting weighed down a bit more, but still planning on a Posies front leaf 3" drop.

I do like that color combo, and I was leaning toward blue for a long time, but once I started taking notice of all the blue 55-59 Task Force trucks in my area I decided that I didn't want to blend in. There are literally about 5 or 6 of them in my area in various shades of blue.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  17. I do like that color combo, and I was leaning toward blue for a long time, but once I started taking notice of all the blue 55-59 task Force trucks in my area I decided that I didn't want to blend in. There are literally about 5 or 6 of them in my area in various shades of blue.[/QUOTE]

i know what you mean my wife wants me to do pearl white. seems like evry truck i seen is pearl white.

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

Pearl white seems way overdone. Is yours the original teal/island blue? I think it's a nice color, but for me, after 25 years I needed a change. If I had the guts to, I might have gone with the original red or the original orange. I also think the original dark cardinal/burgundy red is a nice color.

19. dubie

dubie

i went for blue with mine but it's the only task force truck in this area. Plus I went with a diamond blue metallic which is a color you don't often see. It'll be paired up with a satin white top and trimmings

20. mine was originally the light teal 2 tone. its had 3 paint jobs since then. the color now has been on it for 15 years my brother painted it for my dad. i'm in the procces of stripping everything down and starting fresh

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

A pic as of tonight. Still to do; mount bumpers, bodywork and paint and mount the hood, wire the entire ignition circuit, bolt the bed down, install new windshield and windshield stainless trim, smooth drivers side exhaust manifold and install exhaust, and install headlight rings.

Time and money.... :D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

22. dubie

dubie

lookin good bud!! The level stance looks real good on this truck. You're hauling some ass

23. Pats6yhop

Pats6yhop
    from usa

I like where you're going. spend some more time thinking about it.[​IMG]

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm hearing from a few different people that I'm being too hard on myself with this truck...I guess I just had an idea of what I wanted it to be, or in my mind how it should be, and the battle of wanting to drive it won out...so I feel like I cut it short and didn't completely follow through. Time and money being scarce these days, I'll be happy to drive it and take extra time to finish it.

I appreciate the kind comments and compliments.

Also getting my beauty rings late next week, which I think will give it a better look.

25. 1959apache

1959apache

UMMM... hell yes

That looks great. If I were a random person going through a car show I would definitely stop to take a look at this one, even if there were 5 other nicer looking ones beside it... its good to be different. I wouldn't go nuts with the pop factor this early in the game, I would go with beauty rings.... maybe some spider caps (overdone), or I would keep the wheels all black like how you have them. I dig it, its different.

Nice job Buzznut.

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thanks bro, I appreciate that.

27. bigdaddyking

bigdaddyking

DUDE, Another HELL YEA.

great job
    BDK

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thanks again...

Yeah, even though spider caps are overdone, they're what I've been wanting to do for a while now. They're pricey, but I'll have a set on there in a month or so. I'm waiting to see how the beauty rings and chrome acorn-nuts look first.

29. 1959apache

1959apache

30. Buzznut

Buzznut

Damn that's a nice truck! Mine is but a shadow of that one, but there are some similarities.

To be honest, I'm using the chrome grille and bumpers because they are what I have, but I've considered going cream on all of them...just not sure. I'm so used the the truck wearing chrome that I can't bring myself to go all painted. The other problem is that my truck is true Custom Cab and has the stainless surround trim around the door windows and rear big window. I'd have to weld all those holes and take away the Custom Cab part of what it has always been.

I really do like the look that the red pickup has going on....it makes painted trim look good.