Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 cadillac brake issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kzeliminator, Apr 22, 2013.

1. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

ok, so Ive been losing my mind on this, and I dont want to just throw parts at this:

stock booster
    newer rebuilt single master

I do not leak fluid as far as I can see
    losing fluid in the res
    brakes are good as soon as I replace fluid
    when it runs down, I get super soft pedal no brakes
    pedal returns everytime so I know booster is good
    when I replaced the master a few months ago, everything was good for a little while, brake fluid was in the booster but not past the boot so it never made its way completely inside

any ideas?

Thinking bad rebuild as Ive seen it before
    not getting air in the system as I dont have to bleed, just add fluid to get my brakes back

thanks

2. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

Leaking master.
    Pull it loose from the booster, pull out the pin and rubber surround and make a dip wick out of a clean paper towel and see how much brake fluid is in the booster.
    That's the problem I had with my '60 deVille.
    I had to use a Mighty Vac air powered brake bleeder to vacuum out all the fluid.
    Get a rebuild kit for it and re-do it yourself so you can see the condition of the bore.

3. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

I thought so, thanks

4. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

Im picking up the new master today. Hope thats it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you positive you don't have a leak somewhere else in the system? No brake fluid on the back of any of the tires or other signs of leaks?

I just went through that with my mom's mid 70's Ford pickup. She said my brother was adding brake fluid quite often and thought the master cylinder was bad. I got down and looked under it and it ends up that one of the front calipers is leaking.

In other words, check the whole system out before you replace anything or spend any money.
    If that is still a single master cylinder they usually rebuild quite well as long as they don't have pitting where the cups on the piston slide.

6. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

Replaced the master......and........Everything is golden so far. brakes are good, I took it for a nice long ride and no issues