Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy ll 4 banger ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilbill, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

You are correct,there are several compression heights available but the correct 283 piston will work .............307 pistons have a lot less height.

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

A question.....will a 2.5 S10 oil pan fit on a 153? Different engines,but need a rear sump pan,so who knows?

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

No, won't fit.

Bob

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

It sorta fits...The holes in the side rails line up.Two holes have to be drilled at the front for the timing cover.The pan floor over the oil pump needs a slight bit of hammering for clearance.But the half circle for the rear main is too large by about 1/4 inch or so. Rather than risk a huge bead of sealer I cut out a few pieces of sheet metal. Then brazed it in,fits real nice now.I also sectioned in a piece of metal to increase the capacity from 3 quarts to about 4.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  5. young olds

young olds

I have a 1 piece rear main seal 181, when pulling the balancer off the outer ring came off. Im wondering if its actually a balancer, used to balance the crank, or just a hub?

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

It's not a balancer, but it is a torsional harmonics damper.

Bob

7. young olds

young olds

Do I need it on there? I just want to know if it was used to balance the engine or if its just a damper/hub.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  8. bobscogin

bobscogin

As I said, it isn't a balancer. The engine is internally balanced. It's a harmonics damper, as also stated. The engine will run without it, but I wouldn't do that.

Bob

9. young olds

young olds

If it doesn't balance the engine what harm could come from not using it?

10. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

As Bob has said several times already, it doesn't balance the engine, it dampens harmonics which can be very destructive to engine components. Yes it is required unless you want harmonics to destroy your engine.

11. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Just a question, I have been getting specs together on this engine and Chevrolet says no Damper? I checked several years, this is 69.

[​IMG]

12. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

The 153 CID 2.5 ltr. Didn't have a damper. The 181 CID 3.0 Ltr. Marine / industrial engine did. I put on on my 153 and it took out a lot of the harmonic vibrations. You can find them on the bay just search for 3.0 ltr. Mercruiser.

Drew

13. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

It needs something on the end of the crank to prevent a massive oil leak if nothing else....

14. young olds

young olds

I understood that its not a balancer, what I didn't understand is if not a balancer what is it doing other than being a pulley. Now i understand it dampens harmonics, since its just a damper does it matter what engine it's off of? Couldn't I just use a sbc damper?

15. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Ok gotcha'. The OEM style on some of these inlines serve a dual purpose by having a groove made into them for accepting a belt. But consider that pulley alignment might not be the same if using a SBC balancer/damper since these usually have a bolt-on pulley.

16. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Yep, a crankshaft pulley :)

The Marine 181/Vortec 3.0 looks pretty cool as a light rod engine. I hadn't really thought of this combo before.

17. young olds

young olds

Assuming I can get the pulleys to line up a sbc damper could work? I did find my outer ring and the rubber piece that goes in between but dont know how to put them back together with the hub.

18. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

They are like Humpty Dumpty, they don't go back together again!

This is the balancer you want, same as the 6 cylinder.

[​IMG]

19. fanbelt

fanbelt

midgets run without them all the time.

20. young olds

young olds

I have actually been driving it without but i get a vibration 40mph-50mph and it lessens higher than that but is still noticeable. weird thing is it seems to only do it in third. Does it matter that my engine is a 1 piece rear main since its for a 6?

21. young olds

young olds

I found a damper/pulley for a 250 inline 6 with two pulleys on it, which would work great on mine since my water pump, generator and ac compressor are all two groove. wondering if this one will also work on my engine? part #594-014 I looked it up as a 68 olds f-85 with a 250.

22. kirby1374

kirby1374

This is sort of off topic but; are you guys boxing your frame when installing in an A? From the pics it looked like some have and some haven't. I hope I don't bring up a blue bear topic:eek: the thought of using a 39 ford trans and one of the motors seems like the best of two worlds as far as modification goes.

23. Kirby,

I am running a 4 cylinder 181 cubic inch Mercruiser (basically a 153 inch Chevy II 4 banger) in my '32 and thought you might be interested in a few of my comments. The '32 is easier since the wishbone and pedal assembly mount on the frame and it's K member. Looking at the Model A (I also have one of those) it looks like you could get part of the conversion kit to install a V8 trans in a Model A (Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 of Bert's (800) 321-1931)and use the wishbone and pedal mounts from the kit for your vehicle. My engine has been in for 25 years and works great although in retrospect I wished I has just warmed up the stocker.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  24. castirondude

castirondude

:eek: :what: :confused:

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

25. kirby1374

kirby1374

Thanks, I too want a hopped up A motor but there is a lot of money involved to get freeway speeds out of them. I was thinking this would be a higher speed and higher mileage solution. I'll probably just start buying speed parts for the A, if I can save the money :confused:

26. Dapostman

Dapostman

Mercruiser made some rear sump pans for the 153.

27. It is called a typo. Original has now been corrected.

Charlie Stephens

28. young olds

young olds

I found an 8 port head I might pick up. Wondering if I can run my stock intake and exhaust on it until I can make an intake and header to better match the head? also what valves are in an 8 port head?

29. i find these L4s through out the net often ... but in pieces

rarely do i find them complete ( there is a few in boats on the bay )

they surely didnt make many of them in those chevylls

30. young olds

young olds

ttt.^^^ Im going to get a great deal on this head. would like to run stock intake and manifold from my car for a while, cause i know its going to take me forever to finally build headers and an intake for it. I dont wanna get it just to store it.