Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 aod transmission swap kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tcoupekyle, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Does anyone make a kit to swap a aod transmission into a55 fairlane? The car already has a302

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Not that I am aware of, but with the 302 already in there, it should be a very straight forward swap. A little trans crossmember modification may be in order and some shifter linkage work, depending on which AOD you have.

Good Luck.

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Like allready said, if you have a 302 allready its pretty simple, be sure to get the right flywheel. Then you most likley will have to change up your crossmember and maybe driveshaft.

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It is an EZ swap, I have a 302 AOD in my '54 get an ANCHOR 2253 trans mount at Autozone or O'Reillys,a 1986 Crown Victoria drive shaft has the correct front yoke replace the rear joint with this:http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-6076-neapco-2-0291-2c1310-conversion-u-joint.aspx and it will bolt up to your '55 rear. Need more info on a '55's with 302's stop by here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=332 If your 302 is from 1980 or earlier you will need this:http://www.kmjent.com/cart/prw-1830...164-tooth-28-oz-sbf-external-prw-1830201.html This mount will sit on the stock crossmember.You will also be needing a Lokar TV cable if you are running a Carb.

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Kyle havent seen you in a long time....good to see you back

6. Yeah bill, been a busy bee for a while, i been lurking here and there on the board hadn't run into anywhere for a while... Where you living now? 2814145668

7. derbydad276

derbydad276

8. HoosierBuddy

HoosierBuddy
    from Indiana

Sorry to put in my 2 cents for a question that wasn't asked, but I would highly recommend looking at a 4R70W rather than an AOD.

The AOD's eventually went away and were replaced by the AOD-E. One popular version of that tranny is the 4R70W...which means 4 speed, REAR drive, 70 NM Torque capability, Wide Gear Ratio.

The 4R70W included every beefy upgrade the AOD ever got (which it needed several...originally they were very prone to breakage) PLUS a wide ratio gear set featuring a lower 1st gear for more umph off the line PLUS electronic controls, which replace most of the mechanical controls in the tranny with servos.

Baumann Engineering makes a control box you'd need if you go this route that's the brains that runs the tranny.

The tranny I used for this conversion (from C4) on my '65 mustang came out of a '98 V6 Mustang, which shares the same bellhousing configuration as a SBF.

Good Luck!

Phil

9. Phil... I would have gone that route, i didn't know about the controller thing but, i bought an aod today. If the trans Shop tells me it's junk i may have to go that route though...thanks indeed may go with this on the next build

10. HoosierBuddy

HoosierBuddy
    from Indiana

Good Luck. Hope the AOD works out for you!

Phil

11. I did a search but didn't come up with much... How do y'all mount your sbf

12. lukey

lukey

Fox body mustang mounts

13. Mark T

Mark T

14. What gauge do you guys use to set TV pressure?

15. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

That is a bit of a loaded question. You need a gage block to set the correct free play distance on the cable, and you need a pressure gauge plus about 10 ft of hose to set the throttle valve pressure properly. This video does a fairly good job of explaining the process.

16. Thanks i did out but it won't shift into second